evancelt

Making sand red 1x2 plates

Because LEGO stopped production on sand red pieces about 15 years ago, 1x2 plates in that color cost $3 each in the US! So I took matters into my own hands :pir-grin:

AD045181-51CA-4CAD-BA19-AC480AC1C829.jpg

BCDEAA18-7319-4838-94B3-54FD64EB7F15.jpg

C5C5F9C2-18E7-4D46-8274-7B67840E9C67.jpg

86CA4BB8-FC5F-404E-9C43-4846ED380337.jpg

16C15ED5-0D76-4CAD-A34A-A2C72794D656.jpg

B605B944-8049-4B1A-B73B-B106BFE87698.jpg

433017A1-6085-43EC-98C8-D00EEABB4E77.jpg

"Oh, the Humanity!" To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi: "I sensed something: As if millions of purists cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened." :tongue:

I bet the price of sand red 1x2 plates with handle is gonna skyrocket, once people selling them see what you're doing with them.

Edited by Murdoch17

ABS is a thermoplast so you could even try to use a heated blade or a laser cutter.

I'm in two minds about this! I give you points for creativity for sure!

Thank being said, a few thoughts come to mind...

1. How badly do you need 1x2 plates of a 15-year discontinued colour, such that you need to murder other pieces in that same, irreplacable colour? (this isn't a moan, just a curiosity! :wink:)
  2. You'd probably have got a better finish by going through a few different grades of sandpaper. The one you used looks a little too coarse
  3. As mentioned, you might have got a better finish or had less hassle by using a fine point soldering iron or blade to remove the handles
  4. I'm no expect on Lego colours, but looking at it, I feel like there are some existing colours close enough to 'sand red' such that they could be made sand red though use of bleach and a UV lamp, or similar approach (would be a bit of trial an error for sure!)

Thanks for sharing the approach anyway!

27 minutes ago, olliewills said:

You'd probably have got a better finish by going through a few different grades of sandpaper. The one you used looks a little too coarse

As I am colorblind, sand red is just that. Not the point: I believe it is not the sandpaper, but the saw blade: You can use a razor sharp and oh so thin circular saw blade to do the cutting. Next step would be ... nothing - or use a really sharp knife.

Nevertheless: I can surely see, why this needed to be done (could I identify sand red that is :D). And: I admire people who use what is at hand - and get it done! That is the most important thing to me. Really nice job!!! And you have your bricks nicely lined up!

All the best,
Thorsten

34 minutes ago, olliewills said:

I'm in two minds about this! I give you points for creativity for sure!

Thank being said, a few thoughts come to mind...

1. How badly do you need 1x2 plates of a 15-year discontinued colour, such that you need to murder other pieces in that same, irreplacable colour? (this isn't a moan, just a curiosity! :wink:)
  2. You'd probably have got a better finish by going through a few different grades of sandpaper. The one you used looks a little too coarse
  3. As mentioned, you might have got a better finish or had less hassle by using a fine point soldering iron or blade to remove the handles
  4. I'm no expect on Lego colours, but looking at it, I feel like there are some existing colours close enough to 'sand red' such that they could be made sand red though use of bleach and a UV lamp, or similar approach (would be a bit of trial an error for sure!)

Thanks for sharing the approach anyway!

:)

1. I have all of the currently-produced colors and I'm looking to expand my color palette

2. Yes, the finish on the cut side is crap. I think I could seal it up / melt it smooth with acetone, but I really don't expect to use these pieces where all 4 sides are visible. 3 of the sides are perfect!

3. See #2 :pir-grin:

4. Interesting idea!

10 hours ago, olliewills said:
  1. I'm no expect on Lego colours, but looking at it, I feel like there are some existing colours close enough to 'sand red' such that they could be made sand red though use of bleach and a UV lamp, or similar approach (would be a bit of trial an error for sure!)

Probably not. Dark Red will just turn into pink because it doesn't have the grey-ish undertone Sand Red has. And I can't imagine other approaches like "greying" Bright Pink plates or applying a red tint to Dark Tan, either. Sand Red has some very specific characteristics that are hard to capture. Ultimately that's why so many people would love to see this color come back.

Mylenium

11 hours ago, olliewills said:

You'd probably have got a better finish by going through a few different grades of sandpaper. The one you used looks a little too coarse

That's my feeling too, although if the good side is facing outwards it probably doesn't matter too much.

You might try an inexpensive Dremal tool with a cut off wheel, I have had very good experience modifying LEGO using one.

(No need for all that sanding and whatnot)

Edited by Johnny1360

They look really bad, too rough, personally I'd never ever do it, but it's your money so do as you wish :)

3 hours ago, zinnn said:

They look really bad, too rough, personally I'd never ever do it, but it's your money so do as you wish :)

No doubt that side looks like crap :pir-grin:

However, I plan on only ever showing the three good sides

If you're using sandpaper, use the finest you can find and only use it for an initial rough levelling. Look at plastic polishing paste after that - the significantly finer grit will still manage to wear it down but will provide a much finer surface. You never know you may one day want to have the back side visible! 

Avast, LEGO hacking. :pir-classic:

On 11/18/2022 at 10:41 PM, Johnny1360 said:

You might try an inexpensive Dremal tool with a cut off wheel, I have had very good experience modifying LEGO using one.

(No need for all that sanding and whatnot)

A Dremel tool can also be mounted to a mill (or 3D printer) for an exact cut every time.

cutitoff.jpg

On closer inspection I guess it's true that it is a very particular colour! I second the plastic polishing paste idea. You'd be able to get an almost perfect finish going even up to say 3000 grit sandpaper and then finishing with a compound. Lucky for me being a car detailer I have a huge range of sandpaper and polishing compounds in my garage should I ever need to try this! :pir-triumph: