Lyichir

LEGO Ninjago 2023 Discussion

7 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It looks just like every walkway area in the past sets. The only real difference is there’s no ladders & 1x2 green slope plates like in the first two. The water tiles, I think, are different colors underneath to represent different depths(little bit of trans tikes aside). Of course they’re not going to dirty sidewalks in a set, same way they have pristine sidewalks in the Modulars. It serves the purpose of being an open air for a market to take place. The set is light on that...but then every set is light on what they’re meant to be. Not much of a garden in last year’s set. 

Technically correct, but that's like saying: I tried this canapee and it was quite modest, mostly just bread. (4 studs width) So I went and bought a footlong (30 studs width) and this one is literally all bread, just empty inside. The walkways were never the highlight of NC sets, quite the opposite, but they are too narrow to have much detail. If you look at any wide open public space you'll see it can be mostly empty while keeping the interest with small architectural details, little bits or greenery or, very common, just a different color thrown in there to break away with the boredom. The closest that comes to this feeling are town squares that are left gray and devoid of any design, but they are all visibly tiled, not just flat concrete, which would be horrendous.

But even those have a purpose and are used to match the minimalist look of the buildings or, in older cities, a more rustic version is used not to take attention away from the architecture. When looking at the Markets environment, I can't even tell what that floor is supposed to represent. It needn't even be that different. I don't want just this particular walkway to be everything, everywhere, all at once just because it's bigger. But it would help a whole lot if it had something, somewhere, at least once.

6 hours ago, Dardanel said:

The reason why I don't like it is because it "normalizes" disposing feces directly into water and some kid might see it and think it's ok. I'm all for this kind of functionality, but it could've been a teachable moment with the sewage ending up in some kind of processing plant. 

I like the functionality. Processing plant likely wouldn't be an attractive build to include. But we literally have people fishing in Ninjago City. If you're grown up you're thinking: "well, this is just all kinds of stupid".

If you're a kid, you can now play with your characters accidentally catching poop instead of a fish and than having to taste it on a bet. (lol) This is not really something I wanted to associate with Lego. And by that I don't mean my particular silly poop scenario,

I meant any poop scenario. We also have restaurants. "hmm, what a lovely crab. I had my doubts about crab /w chocolate, but it's wonderful"  - "Guess what? The 'chocolate' - is poop! haha"

Actually, scratch the complaint... I want to MOC my city to have someone drowning in poop now.

2 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Your thinking to hard about this most smaller kids won't know the difference and older ones will.  This way the parent can actually teach the children about the function of a toilet properly.  I mean look we got the poop shoot in the 90th anniversary castle.  And realistically some places in the world don't have the most sanitary conditions.  It's all in how you use this.  Also I don't know how many kids will be getting this set mostly adults at that price point.   

My kid would only be sad to think we're filling an animal's home with feces :\

53 minutes ago, Harren Tonderen said:

There is also social problem here. Biggest ninjago module set, yet it'll be infamous just for "poop system"

Gonna mod mine to transport cans, like that old commercial I’ve seen a while back. 

4 hours ago, Harren Tonderen said:

There is also social problem here. Biggest ninjago module set, yet it'll be infamous just for "poop system"

Ninjago Shitty Markets

17 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Your thinking to hard about this most smaller kids won't know the difference and older ones will.  This way the parent can actually teach the children about the function of a toilet properly.  I mean look we got the poop shoot in the 90th anniversary castle.  And realistically some places in the world don't have the most sanitary conditions.  It's all in how you use this.  Also I don't know how many kids will be getting this set mostly adults at that price point.  

I didn't mean necessarily from the set directly. I meant more from videos on lego.com and youtube/tiktok/whatever - I bet it's going to be featured quite a bit.

So surprisingly, set designer Chi Wing Lee has decided to update their brickiest of sets they've designed, 2 of which are the DR sets. They have worked on the mech bike and the temple, and I have really enjoyed reading them. Temple looks like it went through only a few iterations, no big changes, although the story of the balcony being an unintentional play feature is pretty cool. Apparently for the mech bike, it went through several massive design changes which explains why it looks so different compared to set and show, there is probably a concept model that looks very close to the show somewhere. Hopefully we get to see it one day. There is no mention of a rebuilding feature from the design which I thought was weird, I was under the assumption that the set was originally going to have a 3rd mode that meant you would have to disassemble it and then you could rebuild it into the hover mech (like in the show) and was just cut from development last minute due to structural issues or something (the model had to be changed because of stability and thus they no longer had the correct parts to rebuild it into the hover mech, but the show was already in production so they couldn't change the show design)? 

Either way they are both fun reads and I advise you all go check it out and show them some love!

16 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

So surprisingly, set designer Chi Wing Lee has decided to update their brickiest of sets they've designed, 2 of which are the DR sets. They have worked on the mech bike and the temple, and I have really enjoyed reading them. Temple looks like it went through only a few iterations, no big changes, although the story of the balcony being an unintentional play feature is pretty cool. Apparently for the mech bike, it went through several massive design changes which explains why it looks so different compared to set and show, there is probably a concept model that looks very close to the show somewhere. Hopefully we get to see it one day. There is no mention of a rebuilding feature from the design which I thought was weird, I was under the assumption that the set was originally going to have a 3rd mode that meant you would have to disassemble it and then you could rebuild it into the hover mech (like in the show) and was just cut from development last minute due to structural issues or something (the model had to be changed because of stability and thus they no longer had the correct parts to rebuild it into the hover mech, but the show was already in production so they couldn't change the show design)? 

Either way they are both fun reads and I advise you all go check it out and show them some love!

I think post reads that mech-bike was meant to be "Mech that actually transforms by not rebuilding it", which why Chi Wing Lee was tasked to help with it in first place
Pretty cool though

7 minutes ago, Harren Tonderen said:

I think post reads that mech-bike was meant to be "Mech that actually transforms by not rebuilding it", which why Chi Wing Lee was tasked to help with it in first place
Pretty cool though

I meant that it can transform with out rebuilding and also have a mode where it has to be rebuilt. The power of Sora where she can take the mech apart and rebuild it at will in the show seems like a crystal clear method of taking the Lego set apart and rebuilding it into the hover mech that the 3 fly about on. I know it transforms into the motorcycle, we seen the bike version in the show. 

On 5/12/2023 at 12:02 AM, Merlo said:

Technically correct, but that's like saying: I tried this canapee and it was quite modest, mostly just bread. (4 studs width) So I went and bought a footlong (30 studs width) and this one is literally all bread, just empty inside. The walkways were never the highlight of NC sets, quite the opposite, but they are too narrow to have much detail. If you look at any wide open public space you'll see it can be mostly empty while keeping the interest with small architectural details, little bits or greenery or, very common, just a different color thrown in there to break away with the boredom. The closest that comes to this feeling are town squares that are left gray and devoid of any design, but they are all visibly tiled, not just flat concrete, which would be horrendous.

But even those have a purpose and are used to match the minimalist look of the buildings or, in older cities, a more rustic version is used not to take attention away from the architecture. When looking at the Markets environment, I can't even tell what that floor is supposed to represent. It needn't even be that different. I don't want just this particular walkway to be everything, everywhere, all at once just because it's bigger. But it would help a whole lot if it had something, somewhere, at least once.

I like the functionality. Processing plant likely wouldn't be an attractive build to include. But we literally have people fishing in Ninjago City. If you're grown up you're thinking: "well, this is just all kinds of stupid".

If you're a kid, you can now play with your characters accidentally catching poop instead of a fish and than having to taste it on a bet. (lol) This is not really something I wanted to associate with Lego. And by that I don't mean my particular silly poop scenario,

I meant any poop scenario. We also have restaurants. "hmm, what a lovely crab. I had my doubts about crab /w chocolate, but it's wonderful"  - "Guess what? The 'chocolate' - is poop! haha"

Actually, scratch the complaint... I want to MOC my city to have someone drowning in poop now.

My kid would only be sad to think we're filling an animal's home with feces :\

As I said go to some places in this world and see what the conditions are like.  Not everything is ideal but it happens.  And as I said earlier it's a great teaching moment and you can easily fix this as you can make a sewer.  Also it's a lego set I'm sure kids can make the distinction between this and real life.  

21 hours ago, Dardanel said:

I didn't mean necessarily from the set directly. I meant more from videos on lego.com and youtube/tiktok/whatever - I bet it's going to be featured quite a bit.

LIke I said it can be used as a teaching moment or you can modify it so the poop goes into a sewer.  It's really not that complicated.  You could actually not include the function and problem solved.  I mean it's lego you can literally make things the way you want.  

On 5/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, MoribundStraggler said:

A POOP HAS FALLEN INTO THE RIVER IN LEGO NINJAGO CITY

Their world has merged with several others. Half their sewer system is probably in the middle of The Lion Temple Of Chi, massive chunks of the population  are missing...  I don't think finding a plumber is particularly high on Ninjago City's current priorities.  Ninjago needs The Brown Ninja now more than ever!

Hope we get a line in the show like "does this water taste funny to you?"  🤣

Ive seen a LOT of negativity/controversy online for this new season/show/set wave. Its awful, I understand that not many people like change (me included) but I really feel like this is a step in the right direction. Yet under every YouTube vid, instagram post, heck even when lego posted the poster on their insta page today the comments where immediately filled with "what is this shit?" and "let it die, stop milking it" and "look at what this has become" and "childhood ruined" BS. Hopefully this doesn't affect legos decisions with the show in any way. People need to be more accepting of change, not everything can stay the same forever. I honestly don't think I've seen such a push back from people in a long-a$$ time, even crystallised part 2 wasn't this bad. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

2 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Ive seen a LOT of negativity/controversy online for this new season/show/set wave. Its awful, I understand that not many people like change (me included) but I really feel like this is a step in the right direction. Yet under every YouTube vid, instagram post, heck even when lego posted the poster on their insta page today the comments where immediately filled with "what is this shit?" and "let it die, stop milking it" and "look at what this has become" and "childhood ruined" BS. Hopefully this doesn't affect legos decisions with the show in any way. People need to be more accepting of change, not everything can stay the same forever. I honestly don't think I've seen such a push back from people in a long-a$$ time, even crystallised part 2 wasn't this bad. 

Hello Guys, yeah I think sometimes change is needed and to me this is the right time to do it. This is a new show with new possibilites, a major focus on the 16 realms, I mean why people are hating this we finally will have new characters introduced in the ninja team and also again a focus on the 16 realms which was never done in this proportion before…

Also, speaking of the new show, I have a theory that while it’s not the most realistic one, I think it could work, anyways here is the theory, what if Sora actually had caused the merge ? What’s your opinions on that ? 

Edited by fernandoleone932

14 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Feels like 2017-2018 all over again.

Still to this day i encounter people that refuse to watch oni trilogy and hate anything that goes after it because... Because of ninja redesign, can you imagine

I think problem is that people forgot they can grow up, thus develop more nostalgia to older seasons and hatred to any changes, because you want everything to be as good as you dreamily remember

22 hours ago, zoth33 said:

LIke I said it can be used as a teaching moment or you can modify it so the poop goes into a sewer.  It's really not that complicated.  You could actually not include the function and problem solved.  I mean it's lego you can literally make things the way you want.  

I'm not sure exactly how you can modify something that a kid saw in a video, but whatever fits your narrative!

Edited by Dardanel

2 hours ago, Dardanel said:

I'm not sure exactly how you can modify something that a kid saw in a video, but whatever fits your narrative!

You really are thinking to much about this but whatever.  I don't have a narrative so think what you want and have fun with the build if you are getting it.  

5 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Yeah, his name is Riyu. I love the name. 

Good name - ryu means dragon in Japanese. 

1 hour ago, a guy from somewhere said:

I’ve seen rumours of a dragons rising game coming, anyone know if it’s fake/real? It’s on Instagram. Somethings telling me it’s fake though. 

It's just a page on IMDb, which means someone has probably made it all up.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or if it has been discussed, but it is regarding the connection of the City Gardens and City Markets. If you have the City Gardens ONLY. It looks like one of the ways to connect the two sets is to have the City Gardens be on the RIGHT side of the City Markets, and then using the pins to collect the Shrine (the side build of the City Gardens), to the left of the City Markets. I analyzed the pictures and this will work and the flow of the light bluish gray pieces that mimic cement/concrete/stone will flow in a way that makes sense. I think this would be the configuration that looks best overall because, for the City Gardens, I think it is best to have the tallest, teal structure in the background, not the foreground of the set. There is one other configuration possible, but it would require the City Gardens' teal structure be in the foreground,

For this other configuration, the City Gardens would have to be on the left of the City Markets. But since the City Gardens only has one connection point, the City Gardens would have to be rotated so that the teal structure is in the foreground. Not idea IMO because it messes up full-set visibility. You can then move the shrine to the right of City Markets.

I will say, I remember seeing official images of LEGO connecting City Gardens to the Left of City Markets and then they just left the shrine, unconnected, off to the side. It caused some to think there were incompatibility issues. I can't find that picture anymore, as if LEGO removed it. I do not consider that layout to be ideal.

Again, all this is based off of pictures. I own City Gardens but have not build it yet. But the first configuration I mention above should work.

Not idea IMO because it messes up full-set visibility.

How so? There's nothing taller than that teal tower.

New trailer is out….. seems familiar….

Jokes aside it’s good to have the first trailer in high quality, hopefully Ninjago music release the trailer music at some point (or it’s In the show) because I absolutely love it. Been watching the trailers non-stop because of that. Change can be scary and the new/first trailer music is the best IMO. Also I did notice something, the bench that crashed down next to Arin in the “it all started with the merge trailer” is the one his parents where sat on when the merge struck, it wasn’t just any random bench. That’s kinda heartbreaking.