Sign in to follow this  
cavegod

ALL out Brick

Hi, it would seem Christian has vannished, anybody know him personally?

I don't, but I'm guessing he's busy dealing with the cease and desist from Disney that he announced about on his Instagram page

4 hours ago, Pyroness said:

I don't, but I'm guessing he's busy dealing with the cease and desist from Disney that he announced about on his Instagram page

I just checked. Don’t see anything there. 

2 hours ago, Sine qua non said:

I just checked. Don’t see anything there. 

It's the most recent post on his account. Not sure how you're not seeing it. Or are you specifically referring to it being a cease and desist? That's mentioned in the second picture of the post regarding licenses and then mentioned directly by him in the comments

30 minutes ago, Pyroness said:

It's the most recent post on his account. Not sure how you're not seeing it. Or are you specifically referring to it being a cease and desist? That's mentioned in the second picture of the post regarding licenses and then mentioned directly by him in the comments

I see it now. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

Cease and desist? What happened? Asking for summary as I'm being lazy lol.

It sounds like all out brick received a cease and desist from Disney or a representative of Disney (Disney is known for contracting people to hunt for copyright violators) for selling models in the visual likeness to their intellectual property. In response, they stopped all selling and development of star wars related moc kits and instructions. Likely to avoid the risk of being taken to court for copyright violations. They've also provided full refunds to everyone with preorders

That means this website would have to go private or those MOC builders would have to be behind the scenes without posting on social media of any kind. Still a double edge sword though with LEGO being ok with it but not Disney. 

21 minutes ago, Sine qua non said:

That means this website would have to go private or those MOC builders would have to be behind the scenes without posting on social media of any kind. Still a double edge sword though with LEGO being ok with it but not Disney. 

The only problem is with *selling* instructions. You can make whatever MOCs you want, or any other fan art, but selling them for profit is a violation of Disney's copyright (broadly speaking--intellectual property law is very complex, but that's good enough for these purposes). So Eurobricks would be fine, Rebrickable would be fine (although they'd probably have to stop processing transactions for MOCs of copyrighted material), but anybody who's actually personally selling SW-related stuff can get shut down at any time. As a matter of practice even Disney doesn't typically care about random people selling stuff, but it's always a risk you're taking.

3 hours ago, Pyroness said:

It sounds like all out brick received a cease and desist from Disney or a representative of Disney (Disney is known for contracting people to hunt for copyright violators) for selling models in the visual likeness to their intellectual property. In response, they stopped all selling and development of star wars related moc kits and instructions. Likely to avoid the risk of being taken to court for copyright violations. They've also provided full refunds to everyone with preorders

How is this any different than Brickvault, who's whole site is 80% Star Wars?

The difference with Brickvault is that Brickvault has never sold full kits with parts and all, only instructions. Republic Bricks, on the other hand, sells full kits with parts and all, so they might be next.

51 minutes ago, icm said:

The difference with Brickvault is that Brickvault has never sold full kits with parts and all, only instructions. Republic Bricks, on the other hand, sells full kits with parts and all, so they might be next.

Legally speaking, that's not actually a difference. They're profiting off of Disney's IP and are fair game to C&D. The only reason they haven't been yet is because Disney hasn't bothered. That's true for everyone selling anything related to Star Wars, more or less, with some exceptions if you can claim it's a parody or something (although even that would still involve arguing with Disney in federal court, so none of these sites are likely to try to fight it).

I understand that. Whatever legal value it may or may not have, though, that is the difference between Brickvault and Republic Bricks or All Out Bricks. I hope this doesn't lead to a widespread crackdown on selling instructions; that would be bad for the hobby and wouldn't increase Disney's revenue one whit.

These companies have always been on shaky legal ground. I've always assumed that they were small enough to fly under the radar. Hopefully, this is a one-off.

I always thought it was to protect itself from that that Brickvault used the term "Space Wars" instead of Star Wars on their website? Although I'm sure it would never hold up in a court.

Or is it because they have a couple of instructions from other IP.

41 minutes ago, l0renZo said:

I always thought it was to protect itself from that that Brickvault used the term "Space Wars" instead of Star Wars on their website? Although I'm sure it would never hold up in a court.

Or is it because they have a couple of instructions from other IP.

I think that's to hide. Like Firestar toys does, where it's "blind lawyer" instead of Matt Murdock, or "superhero kid" instead of Invincible. Harder for disney's IP bounty hunters to find.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:58 AM, Smitty500 said:

How is this any different than Brickvault, who's whole site is 80% Star Wars?

My completely uninformed, not a lawyer opinion is that there isn't a difference between All Out Brick and Brickvault. Hope I'm wrong but, it wouldn't surprise if Brickvault were also contacted by the Mouse's lawyers in due course.

Here are my MOC Droid Ships and one of my special MOC Droidekas

yHRwKkI.jpeg

Custom Droidekas

hVMtCYX.jpeg

Imperial, City, Classic, Desert, and Heavy