scruffulous

[MOC] Four wheel open wagons

Like most railways, the Victorian Railways (VR) built a huge number of four wheel open wagons. The first class were I wagons, and they constructed ~15000 of them, starting in 1859. In the 1950s and 1960s, the steel underframes of I wagons were repurposed as many other classes.

Below is my model of a steel underframe I wagon. There is only a small amount of internal structure holding the sides and ends in place, so they can be run as an open wagon.

52463197337_babe9e87b3_w_d.jpg

From 1939, the VR started building GY wagons. They built over 6000, so they were a common sight, particularly as long rakes during the wheat harvest.

Below are two models of a GY wagon; one painted in normal VR wagon red, and the other in hansa yellow. This is the third version of a GY wagon I've built, and it's the most detailed, the most accurate (1:45 scale-wise), and the best running (thanks to ball bearings). The tarp is clearly not LEGO - it's made from baby wipes. These wagons can't be run without a tarp or load to cover the internal structure that holds the sides and ends in place.

52462782758_24c5df58a2_w_d.jpg

52462247926_5120706710_w_d.jpg

Edited by scruffulous

These are great. The cloths add a ton, too.

What were the upturned wheel hubs on the top one for IRL? Like, did they have a function?

Edited by LordsofMedieval

Nice wagons, Scruffulous, I like small wagons and then a load of them on the tracks behind a loc. Like all the details you added 😃👍.

Question: what's the use of the yellow marking at the corner of the brown wagon? I noticed these at a number of photographs of the real wagons?

For such a simple wagon, these are incredibly beautiful! The parts usage is excellent, and the overall effect is of a scale model from a distance. Fantastic work!

Given their similarity to British designs I might have to steal this...

The little cars look great! Perfect!
I would also be happy about more pictures of the construction, eg from above or below.

The construction of the frame with plates underside to the outside I also use very much. Gives extra detail without building everything full of tiles.

And the cloth on top is then the eye-catcher ;-)

Thomas

Thanks all. Using the antistuds of a plate for the underframe sides is one of my favourite techniques for adding detail. It's not quite scale height for most underframes (two plates would be closer), but the sides of plates are so boring ;-)

23 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

What were the upturned wheel hubs on the top one for IRL? Like, did they have a function?

They are supposed to represent angled axle boxes - not all I wagons had them installed. I think the angle was to make it easier to add lubricant, or possibly to help create a well to hold the lubricant.

12 hours ago, Vliebricker said:

Question: what's the use of the yellow marking at the corner of the brown wagon? I noticed these at a number of photographs of the real wagons?

The yellow stripe differentiated GY wagons, which were grain-proofed, from HY wagons, which were not grain-proofed.

7 hours ago, scruffulous said:

The yellow stripe differentiated GY wagons, which were grain-proofed, from HY wagons, which were not grain-proofed.

Thanks for the info 😉👍.