Sign in to follow this  
0815Tanaka

[MOC] 12v Crocodile Engine

Hello.

I'd like to introduce my latest 12v train MOC.

52488163209_efb6f4ffe6_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Crocodile Engine by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Crocodile engine based on SBB Ce 6/8.

It is built mainly in reddish brown and dark bluish gray.

Using these colors because some parts were not available in the old colors. (However, light gray is the original :wink: )

52487885146_a2349bd630_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Crocodile Engine by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

The chassis reproduces the main model of Hobby Train set #10183.

Two motors are used to move either the front or rear connecting rod.

It has plenty of traction even without weights.

52487885136_990ccccd33_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Crocodile Engine by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

The roof can be easily removed to allow access to the engineer.

52488163274_f1b677e158_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Crocodile Engine by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Unfortunately, brown train doors are doesn't exist, so I had to find an alternative.

So I assembled most of the sides horizontally and used the jumper plate grooves to make the door.

They are all fixed and cannot be opened :cry_sad:

The center mounted engine is a copy from #7745.

This is my Twitter account that I post in Japanese, you can see the video in action from here.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

OOOOH YES!

Beautiful. :pir-love: 

I am trying too (in digital designs) the SNOT technique for front windows in "gray era" Mocs...thanks to your Crocodile I have proof that in real life results are very nice!!!

Great machine!!!

Davide

I love it! Reminds me soo much of the 12v-era prototype crocodile in brown that was later heavily revised in the 9v era in red. It even had brown 3-long doors!

52489226866_b03c598868_o.jpg

(NOT my picture!)

Kudos to you on an awesome MOC design!

Edited by Murdoch17

2 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

I love it! Reminds me soo much of the 12v-era prototype crocodile in brown that was later heavily revised in the 9v era in red. (NOT my picture, but you can see it below.)

Yes, I was thinking that.  Did you use this pic when modelling it?

Either way, great 12V era style, @0815Tanaka!  And welcome to the Train Tech forum!

Edited by Vilhelm22

On 11/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, Darkkostas25 said:

Great build and photos and usage of parts 

@Darkkostas25 Thank you! Lighting other than ceiling light is needed :sadnew:

On 11/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

OOOOH YES!

Beautiful. :pir-love: 

I am trying too (in digital designs) the SNOT technique for front windows in "gray era" Mocs...thanks to your Crocodile I have proof that in real life results are very nice!!!

Great machine!!!

Davide

@Paperinik77pk Thanks again! Wow! I'm so excited to see that *huh*

On 11/10/2022 at 8:07 AM, Murdoch17 said:

I love it! Reminds me soo much of the 12v-era prototype crocodile in brown that was later heavily revised in the 9v era in red. It even had brown 3-long doors!

(NOT my picture!)

@Murdoch17 Great and famous picture! It's so regret that this didn't make it into production. In addition to the door, there are many interesting parts such as the pantograph.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

On 11/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Yes, I was thinking that.  Did you use this pic when modelling it?

Either way, great 12V era style, @0815Tanaka!  And welcome to the Train Tech forum!

@Vilhelm22 Thank you for the comment! I knew this image, but due to image quality issues, I couldn't see the details. So I designed most of it while looking at pictures of real locomotive.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

On 11/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, LordsofMedieval said:

Always loved those 3-coupled motors. Never had one as a kid, but I admired them a lot in Lego advertisements.

@LordsofMedieval In some areas they were not sold. It was the same in Japan where I live. I think LEGO shouldn't have eliminated the middle wheel in motors after 9v era.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:46 AM, AlmightyArjen said:

Nice design! I tried to build it with 80's-only parts:

tDRye1WyGLU0ijecoYfzkbYc.png

@AlmightyArjen It looks great! I've seen your vintage layout WIP videos many times. This is more closer to the original :wub:

Edited by 0815Tanaka

On 11/12/2022 at 3:08 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Fantastic locomotive in perfect gray era style! :wub:

@LEGO Train 12 Volts Thank you :laugh:

On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, BillytheKid said:

Connect both 12v motors with a wire for a more smoother ride.

Looks nice :thumbup:

@BillytheKid I did not know that. I was lucky enough to get a motor that was about the same speed, but I'll try that as well :sceptic:

Edited by 0815Tanaka

Excellent locomotive! I like the integration of simple (80s) building techniques with more complex modern ones, for example the sides of the main cabin. A bit of an unrelated question- is it difficult to get 12v trains in Japan as well? I know 12v is scarce and hard to get in the US, and I've heard of almost no one running 12v in Japan.

5 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

優秀な機関車!シンプルな (80 年代) の建築技術と、より複雑な現代的な技術 (メイン キャビンの側面など) を統合するのが好きです。ちょっと関係ない質問ですが、日本でも12Vの電車を手に入れるのは難しいですか?アメリカでは 12v が希少で手に入れるのが難しいことは知っていますし、日本では 12v を使っている人はほとんどいないと聞いています。

@Reker1000000 Thank you!

It's hard to get in Japan as well. Only a few of my Twitter followers who have 12v trains (Although there are probably collectors who are not active online).

However, in 2016, a commemorative exhibition celebrating the 50th anniversary of LEGO Train was held by enthusiasts at model railroad event, and many classic trains gathered. I started 12v last year, so I haven't participated, there are many collectors in Japan. You can see photos from my followers' blog (https://ameblo.jp/ainchan2019/entry-12495895268.html).

By the way, this is very rare, last month the sealed #7735 with the lid off was sold at a local auction (https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b1067442568) for 127,001 yen (approximately 900 USD). Except for this example, in many cases it is necessary to import from overseas, so it seems that newcomers find it difficult to get involved.

Nice build, proportions seems quite good. You've nailed the prototype pic ! Your sideways doors are ingenious.
I'm tempted to try something with big red "steam" wheels to replicate the wheel structure of the crocodile

On 11/27/2022 at 11:23 PM, Evans said:

Nice build, proportions seems quite good. You've nailed the prototype pic ! Your sideways doors are ingenious.
I'm tempted to try something with big red "steam" wheels to replicate the wheel structure of the crocodile

@Evans Thank you! That's good idea! The difference in wheel sizes would make the build more realistic than mine :sceptic: