LordsofMedieval

<moc> NSWGR 38 Class 4-6-2 #3801

I was surprised to learn that these only have 69" driving wheels, which is really, really small for a standard-gauge 4-6-2. Still, I think they're super, super attractive engines - especially with the streamlining that was an acknowledged rip of New Haven I-5 class 4-6-4s. The second video is worth a watch, by the way, if you like steam slipping.

cKBoTil.jpg

gsCwnku.jpg

Byvd8gM.jpg

YghlaOT.png

EkFWsq1.png

6BFv7Pk.png

ca5JgQT.png

bXt1WCX.png

1 hour ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Absolutely stunning design! Looking forward to seeing this in bricks. All the best. 

Thanks. The front cone would require dying. It only comes in a handful of colors, and none of those are green :P. I could do grey, though - these engines were painted grey for a while, even in mainline service:

213086479_380efebf3e_o.jpg

Not really as sexy as the green, but it has a certain charm. They were also black for a while, too:

3801_2.jpg

But so many steam locomotives are black...

*Edit* Just started cycling through parts - no way it can be done in the green, sadly. I'm actually kind of shocked by how many pieces I would regard as 'core' parts aren't available in traditional green. Like a lot of brackets, slopes, SNOT bricks, etc. 

Edited by LordsofMedieval

16 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

The front cone would require dying. It only comes in a handful of colors, and none of those are green

Then do it!

Your model deserves it.

Really impressive. Or better: Unbelievable to me, how you do all your models.

Thank you for this one - and all your other wonderful contributions in TrainTech!

Best wishes,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Then do it!

Your model deserves it.

Really impressive. Or better: Unbelievable to me, how you do all your models.

Thank you for this one - and all your other wonderful contributions in TrainTech!

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Sadly, I started going through the parts last night shortly after I posted, and I was just *shocked* by how many pieces don't come in ol'-reliable standard green. Like, you're sitting there building and model, and you're thinking to yourself "I'm safe - green has been around forever. There's no danger of this being some impossible build in this color scheme or anything." Nope. Lol. Not even slightly. Like... there are loads of just standard parts - pieces that have been in circulation for a decade at least - that are not available in basic green (if I had to take a guess, I would wager that, since standard green is Lego's default foliage color, they've made a concerted effort not to do parts/sets/vehicles in green unless completely called for [like, with a garbage truck]. I can't explain it any other way). Anyway, when I got up to the ~14 count for pieces on the locomotive that wouldn't be available, I gave up - there's dying an odd or end, and there's going insane. And trying to do that would be crazy.

While the green would be nice, the grey is still good. Apparently that color scheme is called "Grey Nurse," which seems a bit unusual, and I'd love to know where the moniker comes from if anyone has any clue.

YtSiYT0.jpg

ELIIF6T.jpg

NgquTZ9.jpg

mus80Hh.png

L4IPRmS.png

gyNXWo5.png

5 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

Sadly, I started going through the parts last night shortly after I posted, and I was just *shocked* by how many pieces don't come in ol'-reliable standard green. Like, you're sitting there building and model, and you're thinking to yourself "I'm safe - green has been around forever. There's no danger of this being some impossible build in this color scheme or anything." Nope. Lol. Not even slightly. Like... there are loads of just standard parts - pieces that have been in circulation for a decade at least - that are not available in basic green (if I had to take a guess, I would wager that, since standard green is Lego's default foliage color, they've made a concerted effort not to do parts/sets/vehicles in green unless completely called for [like, with a garbage truck]. I can't explain it any other way). Anyway, when I got up to the ~14 count for pieces on the locomotive that wouldn't be available, I gave up - there's dying an odd or end, and there's going insane. And trying to do that would be crazy.

While the green would be nice, the grey is still good. Apparently that color scheme is called "Grey Nurse," which seems a bit unusual, and I'd love to know where the moniker comes from if anyone has any clue.

YtSiYT0.jpg

ELIIF6T.jpg

NgquTZ9.jpg

mus80Hh.png

L4IPRmS.png

gyNXWo5.png

The grey looks great! Go for it. 

41 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Yep, agree, grey looks nice too.

For me it looks like the drivers are inverted on the rendition?

Yeah I just did that for sizing purposes. I have the BBB/Brick Train Depot mod for Stud.io downloaded, but I always forget the custom pieces tab exists. The drivers are 69", which is exactly XL - or, in this case, an inverted Lego train wheel (I follow the 1 plate = 6" scaling system because smarter minds than I made things easier that way). I left plenty of space over the lead and trailing wheels to accommodate flanges were I to build it.

Grey looks great too. Building it will show the strengths of the model. The color won't matter as much.

While green has been around forever, it isn't a color that has gotten a lot of parts made in it.

LordsofMedieval, nice :)

XL = #11    Diameter = 11,5plates /  36,8mm.    1:48 to IRL = 1766,4mm

in 1.40 scale, the driver would have been a XXL/ #13. 1728mm IRL, the closest.

7 hours ago, Shiva said:

LordsofMedieval, nice :)

XL = #11    Diameter = 11,5plates /  36,8mm.    1:48 to IRL = 1766,4mm

in 1.40 scale, the driver would have been a XXL/ #13. 1728mm IRL, the closest.

I go off the BTD folks - so the model is intended to be 1:48, I guess.

Wheel-Sizes-Final-with-Scales.png

That chart is so immensely helpful.

Yeah, that chart is helpful :)

I did a chart to myself on the sizes in mm for it, txt file, not picture, yet. For 1:38,  1:40mm  and  1:48 scale. From #2 to #17

For that 6942 Dish 5x5 is there any LEGO piece, so that it can continue it and end as pointy? I thought there is, but I can't find that. Instead of your C38's lamp, that it would be pointy instead?

Instead of 4740 or 2654, it would be pointy? Pointy as for the swedish B class.

Your C38, I guess you did find https://portal.engineersaustralia.org.au/system/files/engineering-heritage-australia/nomination-title/Locomotive_3801_Nomination.pdf That boiler mounting photo on page 16 is nice :)