LordsofMedieval

Do you tend to stick to your nationality?

I've modeled a number of locomotives - American, British, Canadian, New Zealand, Japanese - and kind of go where the wind takes me when I'm designing MOCs. Last night, I was chipping away at a rendition of Australia's 3801...

3801%20Locomotive.Flickr.jpg

... a design that takes some heavy influences from both American and British schools. While I was working on the boiler, a slightly uneasy thought hit me (which I have admittedly had before): 'is it wrong of me to be doing this, even on some immensely shallow level?'

We live in an era where people get very... upset by so-called cultural appropriation. And while I am extremely fond of Australians, their society, their railroads, etc., I could imagine someone, somewhere, seeing it as wrong for an American to be playing Australian trains, or trying to design the best rendition of an iconic Australian engine. And this isn't exclusive to Aussies by any means - I worry about the same thing with trains from Japan, Britain, Germany, etc.; that, to some degree, I'm being insensitive by modeling their stuff.

Does that make any sense? Do you experience any similar reservations? I know the act of MOCing an engine is ultimately harmless, but I fear squishing any toes in doing so. I don't like the thought of people misconstruing fondness for being patronized.

usually yes but people here dont care. my area is rather rural and people view the concept of cultural appropriation as stupid (i do too, you arent mocking anyone by doing so). i just moc what i find nice. that is usually trains of my region. some are fantasy some are also based off of things in other countries like the monorails in japan and the sidney monorail. so in short no i do not. it isnt harming anyone if i build a japanese monorail in lego. i also wouldnt be upset if you tried your hands on a german prototype.

Edited by XG BC

It’s a thought that has never occurred to me at all, and I really don’t think many people would be worrying about it. In fact, I’m not sure about the nationality of most builders (I’d never have known you were American if you hadn’t said it) and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

I’m sure we all build whatever appeals to us wherever it comes from. My own record is mostly British, but that’s really just because I know more about British prototypes than, say, American, for example. I do find, though, that I do get inspired when I travel abroad. My most recent trip was to New York, so maybe I’ll build something from that region next. 

I bet every railroad has a fan somewhere where it doesn't even come close to running. There may be Union Pacific steam lovers in Australia, fans of British Railway electrics in the UAE, and Ukrainian diesel fanatics in South Africa. (There are arguably no Monorail fans in Springfield, USA, however. :tongue: ) Just because you like something that some other place has, doesn't automatically mean appropriation: it can mean appreciation as long as it is done in a kind way.

Basically, build whatever you like, we don't judge here.

Edited by Murdoch17

Oh well...this is a kind of doubt that can be easily wiped out!

Basically, you're free to appreciate whatever you like, independently from its nationality (and many many other variables, too!).:excited:

If someone gets offended by your appreciation or your taste , in this case thinking that you cannot like a locomotive, train that was created in his/her country...this means that the person you're speaking to is RIDICULOUSLY narrow-minded and must not be considered at all (especially when he/she's doing this from beyond a computer keyboard) - it's a loss of time...:sadnew:

Let people speak ,build what you like best - and what makes you happy!!! Building and designing LEGO is an hobby and must be taken as such! :head_back:

By the way...that locomotive is really, really a mix of styles - starting from its name!!! *huh*

Ciao!

Davide

3 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

Does that make any sense? Do you experience any similar reservations?

Reasoning about it makes absolutely sense. Per se, I'd say.

BUT: It does not make any sense when mocking - or painting, or modelling, or - you know, the art of creating. I also believe that it is not XYZ country, culture, history etc. that is attracting you - it is the style of the locomotives of such countries. There may be reasons why they do it the way they do it - so what? If I want to paint "something", I paint what I like to paint. Maybe in "Freestyle" which - for me is leaning towards Surrealism, maybe Bauhaus-style, or Impressionism - who cares? That is my little universe. And you know why? It is also rather easy :pir-laugh:

No - don't worry at all. Just do it.

I like German steamers a lot - as I admire American diesels. Well, these are the ones I have seen in real life - and they impressed me. I am not the world traveler, so I have not seen many others ... the TGV (nice!) ... some Danish trains (nice!) ... yeah, and elsewhere (nice!)

No, don't worry, Not when you create what you like to create.

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

No - this isn’t any problem anywhere here!  Everyone builds whatever they want, really.  I’m definitely not conforming to the idea either myself - I wouldn’t call the Union Pacific Overland Limited exactly British after all…

I think that's the beauty of model railway! You can model your layout to any region on this planet. Same goes for building of locomotives. If you're a fan of it and you like it, go for it! I also think residents of that region would be extremely happy to come across a MOC of their local train.  

As for me, I have a personal connection to the locomotives and railway structures of my region (Singapore - Malaysia) hence the reason I only build trains within my region. 

14 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Build what you like. The folks with issues can kiss your caboose.

This about sums up my feelings. Build for you.

I've lived on both sides of the Atlantic and had the opportunity to travel around the world. Many of my builds are European based, but I do have a few American ones. Always had a fondness for Union Pacific. Now that I live in America, I tend to show mostly my British and German rolling stock at shows because they are different. The locals appear to enjoy seeing something different than NS, CSX, their older, constituent railroads, or Amtrak.

I don't think this quite counts as cultural appropriation. Otherwise Lego would have a problem selling the Creator Mustang in Europe and the Fiat 500 outside Italy.

I build trains from the Netherlands where I grew up, Germany because my dad had German model train and Ireland because I live here now. I've once built an American diesel and if some day I fance a train from anywhere else in the world I'd have no problem modelling it.

I just love all the trains, of any kind and forms (normal(steam, diesel, electric), light(trams, metro...) etc) just have lists of more or less preferred. And with time it's always changing and shifting towards even loving and enjoying more of them. And yes love foreign trains sometimes more coz I don't see them on daily bases but when I see my native trains I also take some time to enjoy the view of those magnificent giants, great pieces of human engineering that do the jobs. 
And yeah sometimes you can see distinct features for some trains that emphasize belonging to a certain county/state and that's cool for a better understanding of those countries and engineering ideas and principles that are there.
(and for cars and trucks this also goes)

Yes, I primarily make Danish trains.

I think it's part familiarity, part nostalgia and part national pride coming from a small country. I have nothing against trains from other countries or regions of the world and especially fancy German ones with their rich train heritage.

Nobody except myself is holding me back from making trains from other countries though and neither should anyone. I love it when someone bothers to make Danish trains. Nationality plays no part in that 🙂

Regarding trains from LEGO I have pretty much no preference and will buy whatever train set comes along as long as it looks good, realistic and is well-made. Unfortunately it seldom does 😁

Edited by dtomsen

I like to collect trains and no matter what nationality they are, they have to tickle my curiosity! :classic:
Of course I know better the models closest to me but I have never had problems making replicas of overseas locomotives.