Murdoch17

1920's Birney Safety Car - heavy 10308 MOD - real world MOC model

Compared to the San Francisco cable car in set 10308 - Holiday Main Street, my model of a classic Birney Safety Car (link to wikipedia article on the type of streetcar) has a different, more accurate roof, complete with a trolley pole at each end.

52480296700_11917129cd_z.jpg

The word "Hogsmeade" is on the destination boards at either end, as I'm pretending that's the name of a street in my town. (I have a ton of those printed 1x4 tiles from nearly 20 years back and I couldn't think of another use for them.)

52480379148_556200c298_z.jpg

All the changes to the car body mean most of the interior was scrapped as it was too cramped for figures to sit, with only the motorman controls remaining.

(Note to the Moderator's: I know I have older, second thread for this model type. However, that one is structured in a way for the LDD file to be given away, whereas this one is just for the real model only. Please DON'T combine them, as it will only be confusing. Thank you for understanding!)

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

A good tram MOD indeed! I know it is a different model but this LEGO version still reminds me a bit of these ones from Riga:

Rīgas tramvaju vēsture, sākot no 19. gadsimta vidus - Skats.lv

13 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Great tram you made! I love that style of old trams 

Thank you, I agree with you on the styling. They don't make them like that anymore! 

5 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

A good tram MOD indeed! I know it is a different model but this LEGO version still reminds me a bit of these ones from Riga:

SNIP

Thanks! I actually think the one you pictured looks closer to the LEGO model than the Birney-type does. Do you know what they were called or who made those?

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Spectacular! Clean design, nice colors...it should be a joyful ride! :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, XG BC said:

really captures all the details of a tram of that time period. nice!

Thanks!

Also, a hearty thank you to whoever front-paged the MOC!

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Do you know what they were called or who made those?

Not much information can be found about these except that they are labelled under name ''Fenikss'', supposedly, this particular model is called ''Pigeon'' (translation from ''Balodis''). A quick search through internet won't give much useful information at all, so I shall try with what I found: they were built in 1930 and were very similar to 1928 model. There were in total 40 of these models across the entire city. Mechanical parts were manufactured in Germany by Friedrich. Krupp A.G. and Henschel & Sohn, all the rest was made in Riga by company ''Fēnikss''.

That is about all I can find, if ye do wish to know even more then there is an option of travelling to Riga (one in Latvia not U.S.A.) and seeing a restored model in the railway museum (but that be a long shot :pir-grin:).

3 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Not much information can be found about these except that they are labelled under name ''Fenikss'', supposedly, this particular model is called ''Pigeon'' (translation from ''Balodis''). A quick search through internet won't give much useful information at all, so I shall try with what I found: they were built in 1930 and were very similar to 1928 model. There were in total 40 of these models across the entire city. Mechanical parts were manufactured in Germany by Friedrich. Krupp A.G. and Henschel & Sohn, all the rest was made in Riga by company ''Fēnikss''.

That is about all I can find, if ye do wish to know even more then there is an option of travelling to Riga (one in Latvia not U.S.A.) and seeing a restored model in the railway museum (but that be a long shot :pir-grin:).

Thanks for looking into it for me. Sad to see there isn't much more info out there...

On 11/6/2022 at 2:16 AM, Murdoch17 said:

(Note to the Moderator's: I know I have older, second thread for this model type. However, that one is structured in a way for the LDD file to be given away, whereas this one is just for the real model only. Please DON'T combine them, as it will only be confusing. Thank you for understanding!)

Thoughts?

No problem. I think it is a great idea. We have previously seen nice trams but you gave a nice twist to 10308 and apparently also inspire people including @Jack Sassy to contribute real life tram ideas :)