• 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

Number: 6521

Name: Emergency Repair Truck

Year: 1987

Pieces: 59

Minifigs: 1

Price: ?

In 1987, the Mayor of LEGOLAND accidentally crashed his car into a fence outside of town. The incident was a bit suspicious, but the Mayor claimed that his dizzyness had been caused by over-the-counter allergy medicine and the police quickly closed the case. That, however, wasn't the end of the story.

Having been forced to stumble walk a full 3 blocks back to town, the Mayor was tremendously concerned about his inconvenience public safety and vowed that this would never happen again. As a result, the LEGOLAND Highway Department added the Emergency Repair Truck to the fleet a week later and placed it under the watchful eye of his lazy brother a valued member of the community.

The Emergency Repair Truck cruises the roads and highways of LEGOLAND, bringing much needed help to stranded motorists and occasionally picking up the Mayor's dry cleaning.

Let's take a look at this important little vehicle.

6521_00.jpg

The typically folded instructions make quick work of the assembly. You could be on the road in 10 minutes or less if you simply follow them, step by step.

6521_01.jpg6521_02.jpg

The left side of the vehicle, including his mounted wrench/spanner.

6521_03.jpg6521_04.jpg

The right side of the vehicle, including his mounted mallet/hammer.

6521_05.jpg

The Highway Department Emergency Serviceman steps out to show you that this truck, 4-wide though it may be, still features a convenient door for him to exit from. He holds his favourite wrench/spanner, which is something of a trademark item in his line of work. His jacket features the Highway Department logo, a zipper, and a convenient pocket.

6521_06.jpg6521_07.jpg

Here you see the printed pieces, which come in the form of the Highway logo on a pair of side panels and a picture of his wrench/spanner on a 1x4 tile attached to the roof alongside emergency lights and a radio antenna.

When you see this bright yellow beauty coming, you know that help has arrived.

*starts the movie projector*

Now, let's take a look at a day in the life of a Highway Department Emergency Serviceman.

After a long lunch, our intrepid hero sets out in search of motorists in distress. As he rounds the curve at the end of System Dr, he see a woman standing with her horse. As he is about to pass her, he notices how attractive she is, and decides to back up and talk to her.

They appear to be in distress! And she's attractive! Er. She needs help! Yes, that's it!

6521_08.jpg6521_09.jpg

He immediately pulls over and approaches the woman, hoping to be able to assist her in her plight.

Excuse me ma'am, I couldn't help but notice that you seem to need some help.

Oh yes, that would be lovely. I'm looking for Forestman's Crossing.

Forestman's Crossing? I've never heard of it. I'm sorry, ma'am.

No matter, we'll find it, it must be around here someplace.

Did you try that shelf over there? *points*

Excellent idea, lad, thank you so much!

Bye!

And there you have it, another motorist citizen helped. :thumbup:

Just another day in the life of one of those unsung heroes of LEGOLAND, the Highway Department Emergency Serviceman.

What will he do tomorrow? His job, of course, after a long lunch.

Where will it take him? Anywhere he's needed on the streets of LEGOLAND.

Thank you for joining me!

*turns off the projector*

Featuring useful parts, including 3 that are printed, a nice printed minifigure that hadn't appeared very often previously, and a couple of handy tools, this set offers a lot at what must have been a very small price. I'd give it a 10/10 and be happy to buy several of them today, if they were available.

If you would like to make your own Hero of the Highways™, you could use the blue torso decal from the Classic-Town Decal Library, or, if you'd like to make some coworkers for him in different branches of the Highway Department, you could try some of these never-before-seen unofficial colour variations.

hwy_orig.png_thumb.jpg hwy_01.png_thumb.jpg hwy_02.png_thumb.jpg hwy_03.png_thumb.jpg hwy_05.png_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster
Poll added

Excellent review of this classic little set. The pictures are great! I had never seen this vehicle before (like so many of these classic town sets). I love how these 4-stud wide vehicles look on the road. Yours looks like you just bought it yesterday (even with the decals).

The forestwoman is a nice touch to - creative and clever. Neat review. :thumbup:

Excellent review of this classic little set. The pictures are great! I had never seen this vehicle before (like so many of these classic town sets). I love how these 4-stud wide vehicles look on the road. Yours looks like you just bought it yesterday (even with the decals).

I'd never seen it before, either. I bought it less than a month ago on eBay for $2. Bought 5 auctions from the same seller, but the others were all Classic Space and Castle (and about $4 a pop :sweet: ).

The three printed pieces are absolutely perfect, as is the minifig, so I was very happy, even without a box.

Now the problem is, that's all of my currently assembled Classic Town, aside from a couple of Paradisa sets that Alice also has and will be doing (heck, one of them is the one Hinck plans to do too, so I don't think we need 3 reviews of it, even with the pony :laugh: ).

That forestwoman was from a $20 buy that included the whole set and all the minifigs from Forestman's Crossing and a pile of other sets worth no less than $100+ easy. I'm currently searching for more deals, and will review anything I can buy cheap.

Excellent review, Shadows! :thumbup:

It's very enjoyable to read through your review. I used to own this truck as well, but the parts are all over the place, and it will be very hard to restore back again. :cry_sad: I love this truck very much, and used to "vroooom" around on the baseplates. I must find my childhood photos, and share with you guys! :classic:

Looking at your photo, I muse agreed with Brickster that it looked very new. I am glad that you have gained a bargain in eBay. The Highway worker torso, is one of my favourite. I only have two of them in my classic sets. The other emergency vehicle which I have is the 6674 Crane Truck. :blush: I need to do some minor restoration on that as well.

6674-1.jpg

Lastly, the damsel part is really very neat! :wink:

p.s: I want that Forestmen woman as well. I have the mini-fig, but I don't have it's green cap. :sadnew:

I had to make some modifications to the review as I had some of the background information wrong. This torso first appeared in 1982, to my surprise, and then again in 1985 before appearing in this set. I actually have some of the parts from the 1982 set, which I will try to restore. I picked them up in a huge random printed parts lot on eBay. Sadly, they're stickers and not printed, but in incredibly good shape for their age (the clear ones like these have always stayed in better condition than the others).

6653-1.jpg

I love this truck very much, and used to "vroooom" around on the baseplates.

I found myself doing a little of that as I took the pics. :blush::laugh:

I must find my childhood photos, and share with you guys! :classic:

YES! That would be a great addition to Classic-Town as well: A Gallery of Classic Pictures from your Towns of the Past! That's an incredible idea, WhiteFang!

The other emergency vehicle which I have is the 6674 Crane Truck. :blush: I need to do some minor restoration on that as well.

Please do, that one looks very nice in red. :thumbup:

Lastly, the damsel part is really very neat! :wink:

Count on some kind of silly special appearance in any review I do. Almost anyone could appear, but it'll mostly be female minifigs to drive home the point that we need more of them.

"If" I didn't opened my eyes bigger and wider, I didn't know this review is in HERE! :laugh:

It's really very uncommon to see our ImperialShadows doing up a Classic Town review, hiding in one corner, doing his restoration projects. :thumbup:

Seriously, I really miss this set, and I still want to get it somehow as part of my revival. Looking back at this review, brings back many fond memories. Although this was dated so far back, but I strongly believed many of our members are not aware of this review. :blush:

Wonderful job, and please continue with your Classic Town sets restoration. It has been more than a year.

This review has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

6653-1.jpg

I saw this picture .... and went way back in my memory and figured out that I own this set.

This 6653 set is in my opinion a much better set then the 6521 which does not look like a real vehicle to me. There are not to many sets that will get a spot in my layout, but this one definitly will. Very cool review BTW.

While writing this, I looked at my boxes full of Lego and dived into it. Guess what, I found the whole car, assembled and in very nice condition :cry_happy:

Great review of an old classic, you sure know how to keep the readers attention!

Thank you very much for this great review, Imperial Shadows! :thumbup:

I voted for

Outstanding :wub:

since I simply like this little car that much (although I don't own it).

It offers everything necessary for a decent repair truck:

-car doors

-tools

-minifig

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Nice little classic set. The rear-facing lights on the roof are very simple but effective.