Sign in to follow this  
Marooned Marin

[DIGITAL] “The Black Pearl” by BrickMOCBay

blogged.png

“The Black Pearl” by BrickMOCBay

A word of explanation. This is not my design, but after a few months of waiting in our blog-post pipeline it's finally going to be published on Classic-Pirates in the coming weeks.

So, in order to have a place for a healthy discussion we need a corresponding forum topic, and here we are.

Now, pir-stop.png to the pictures.

lego-pirates-black-pear-01-brickmocbay.j

lego-pirates-black-pear-02-brickmocbay.j

lego-pirates-black-pear-03-brickmocbay.j

lego-pirates-black-pear-04-brickmocbay.j

lego-pirates-black-pear-05-brickmocbay.j

blogged.png

On 10/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, Marooned Marin said:

lego-pirates-black-pear-05-brickmocbay.j

Well, I guess everything's fine with this MOC, you can clearly see the influence of the original TLG design in it, but I still have to point out some things:

1) Rear of cabin has to have 3 windows as a bare minimum. That's the stuff which makes a lot of difference for us, PotC fans: simply check out the old 4184 topic and look at people's reaction to the first revealing images back then to get the idea :pir-grin:

2) I'm not sure if PoBB-styled slopes on the stern actually fit with the straight sides here. The transition looks kinda awkward.

3) Standard TLG anchor molds seem to feel quite small compared to an overall scale of the build. Some custom anchors are definitely needed, IMHO.

4) Only a couple of sails per fore/mainmast? Even TLG's Black Pearl had 3 of them on the mainmast initially. 3 sails per each mast (except the mizzen one, no complaints there, it's just as it should be) would be ideal.

I saw that Letbricks is already selling sets based off this MOC and QAR from the same designer, this is why I felt a need to share some of the issues that caught me eye in this build :pir-tongue: That being said, I think this MOC is indeed great and comfortably sits amongst the best BP designs :pir-sweet: 

Edited by F1stzz

10 hours ago, F1stzz said:

but I still have to point out some things:

You pretty much nailed it, great summary, and excellent attention to details :pir-thumb:

If you could chose one, which one would you prefer, Black Pearl or Queens Ann Revenge, by the same designer?

2 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

You pretty much nailed it, great summary, and excellent attention to details :pir-thumb:

If you could chose one, which one would you prefer, Black Pearl or Queens Ann Revenge, by the same designer?

TY, sir :pir-huzzah2:

As for your question, even tho BrickMOCBay's QAR has pretty much identical flaws to those I have issues with on Black Pearl (except for the cabin part: a heck of a nice job done this time around), I'd say that I like the Queenie better. The color palette on his QAR is no less than sick, probably the best looking one outta all QAR MOCs I've seen so far, including MOCYB's and kwakly's widely known versions. Overall this build feels much closer to the original movie design than BP, that whole cabin section and color combo just hit the right note for me here. If there's one problem to highlight in QAR build though, it would probably be the configuration of yards on bowsprit. Like, it's kinda hard to imagine the way for a standard rectangular sail to be attached there without bowsprit itself being an obstacle, lol, unless that sail would have some specific shape or size. Not a significant trouble anyway, so yeah, I guess the QAR build prevails over the BP one in my book 👌🏻

On 10/30/2022 at 9:54 PM, F1stzz said:

I saw that Letbricks is already selling sets based off this MOC

But would you buy one for yourself?