El Garfio

2023 Friends Rumours, Leaks, Information And Discussion

I think that now that we have concrete info on the new characters/sets this discussion should move to a new 2023 sets topic, no?

Lots of new hairpieces :pir-love:

Also great to see vibrant coral is still a thing. I remember some people were saying it was retiring for some reason

Which one is the character with Down Syndrome? I cant tell e.e

Friends really became citier than City, huh? 

3 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Is Friends now also for boys?

It was always been for boys. 

Friends is for everyone.  It is nice to see the theme evolving and changing over time. 

Boys have been mentioned in their product description for a while now.  Example:

Creative gift for kids who love safari animal toys – This LEGO® Friends set can be given as a birthday or special occasion gift for boys and girls who enjoy animal nurture play

I've said before that I think Friends is probably the best theme LEGO produces when you consider everything you could want from a LEGO set. I'm delighted that they are continuing the line like this, with some awesome looking sets to kick things off.

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Friends is for everyone.  It is nice to see the theme evolving and changing over time. 

Boys have been mentioned in their product description for a while now.  Example:

Creative gift for kids who love safari animal toys – This LEGO® Friends set can be given as a birthday or special occasion gift for boys and girls who enjoy animal nurture play

In 2012 LEGO launched Friends and the controversy of segregated toys was in the air

In 2013 we have been discusing about the future of minidolls in this thread 

And we talked about the unavoidable Friendlyzation of city

10 years later, seems that most of the opinions of that thread were right and LEGO friends is reinforcing that male characters could be also main characters and no only side characters

With the new sets we have a gender neutral line that is going to make TLC think about if city could be anything more than Lego City Adventures sets

In the last 2 years, city sets had been ugly and overpriced (the price of the school or the grocery shop are obscene) and sales, at least in Spain, had been poor, meanwhile Friends sets were pretty, in reasonable price and useful for KFOLS and AFOLS

And these new friends are a new push for the minidolls, that in my opinion are the future of TLC

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I've said before that I think Friends is probably the best theme LEGO produces when you consider everything you could want from a LEGO set. I'm delighted that they are continuing the line like this, with some awesome looking sets to kick things off.

There are at least 4 more sets to be revealed according to the numbers. So I can't wait to see those.

One thing I find somewhat annoying is the 5x6 window / double door frame is in yellow and pale yellow in these sets. Yet it's still not in tan which was needed years ago for a Harry Potter set.

Somewhat... completely off topic... Friends seems to be going very strong, can we please get some more subthemes? I dislike the minidolls on a whole however the Elves theme, set design, pieces, minidoll designs were amazing and I want to see more creativity with them.

Edited by Maple

4 hours ago, Maple said:

It was always been for boys. 

Not at the beginning of friends, and not in mind of boys KFOLS if TLC is working into make boys feel comfortable playing with Friends sets

Did you consider boys in this relaunch?

Fenella: I think that we've been on a really big journey with boys. We actually test every time with boys as well. There are boys that want to play this relationship based play, with that extra level of realism with the characters and the storytelling. That is something that we are welcoming with open arms.

I think with this new generation of Friends, we want to welcome all the kids to play with us. We're not saying that there's a certain type of kid that should play with us and shouldn't play with us. Some of the things that we did in the past, with the purple packaging and so on, are things that we want to change now.

We want to make boys feel okay, if they want to play with us because if it speaks to them, then that's really a bonus. In terms of representing boys in the characters, we've made sure to do that in a way to have characters that they can relate to. So hopefully this appeals to both boys and girls.

Again.... Friends has ALWAYS been for boys. I really don't like repeating myself. City Police is mostly developed by LEGO for boys, it doesn't mean it's not for girls.

5 year olds aren't full of stupidity, ignorance and hate. They are taught that by ignorant, closeminded, and often times, just plain stupid adults.

This "new" style of building architecture is great, the new characters as well.

The diner, dog rescue center and autumn's house look pretty good and for 2023, fairly priced before discounts.

No vehicles included is great as well, so the budget goes to the buildings, like 3-in-1 sets.

City buildings just focus a lot on vehicles, just the way that theme goes with it's bigger focus on Action instead of Architecture.

With 3-in-1 buildings being a bit rarer, this is a welcome change, yes Friends already had shops and houses for 10 years, but I like what's offered here.

I never really got into Friends much but this looks to become one of my favorite new themes.

Edited by TeriXeri

I don’t want to be salty, because this genuinely does look good. But for a minute I dared to hope that with this new focus on inclusivity they might have at least one character representing the gender spectrum or at the very least being openly homosexual. But no. Nothing. Because god help us if people have any excuse to think that LEGO might be ‘corrupting their children’ by teaching them that it’s okay not to be pigeonholed into the gender identity you were born with or to explore anything other than good old heterosexuality. 

I guess there’s still some hope that one of the new kids will have a character arc involving coming out of the closet in some way (Leo in particular looks very androgynous and I mistook him for a girl before reading the names) but I’m not optimistic . . 

I don’t mean to be salty. This honestly does look good. But I can’t help feeling like the fact that LEGO is emphasising racial and cultural differences, as well as disabilities, while as far as I can see totally ignoring the more ‘controversial’ type of disability, makes this whole thing feel . . insincere to me,

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I don’t want to be salty, because this genuinely does look good. But for a minute I dared to hope that with this new focus on inclusivity they might have at least one character representing the gender spectrum or at the very least being openly homosexual. But no. Nothing. Because god help us if people have any excuse to think that LEGO might be ‘corrupting their children’ by teaching them that it’s okay not to be pigeonholed into the gender identity you were born with or to explore anything other than good old heterosexuality. 

One of the friends has two gay dads in the Main Street set from this year. I was really hoping for a non-binary character and then I thought Olly would be it, but nope. Any number of these characters can have a same sex dating partner that is introduced later or on the TV show.

And are you saying being gay is a 'controversial' disability? 

4 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Not at the beginning of friends, and not in mind of boys KFOLS if TLC is working into make boys feel comfortable playing with Friends sets

Did you consider boys in this relaunch?

Fenella: I think that we've been on a really big journey with boys. We actually test every time with boys as well. There are boys that want to play this relationship based play, with that extra level of realism with the characters and the storytelling. That is something that we are welcoming with open arms.

I think with this new generation of Friends, we want to welcome all the kids to play with us. We're not saying that there's a certain type of kid that should play with us and shouldn't play with us. Some of the things that we did in the past, with the purple packaging and so on, are things that we want to change now.

We want to make boys feel okay, if they want to play with us because if it speaks to them, then that's really a bonus. In terms of representing boys in the characters, we've made sure to do that in a way to have characters that they can relate to. So hopefully this appeals to both boys and girls.

Do you have the rest of this interview? I would be interested in the whole thing.

5 hours ago, Maple said:

One of the friends has two gay dads in the Main Street set from this year. I was really hoping for a non-binary character and then I thought Olly would be it, but nope. Any number of these characters can have a same sex dating partner that is introduced later or on the TV show.

And are you saying being gay is a 'controversial' disability? 

I’m not saying being gay is a disability at all. I just feel like LEGO’s reluctant to offend homo/transphobes by including LGBT representation, for fear that those demographics might boycott the line and hurt their profit margins. And it’s possible, I’d love to be proven wrong, but the fact that nothing of the sort was mentioned in any of the character biographies means I’m not hopeful.

7 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I guess there’s still some hope that one of the new kids will have a character arc involving coming out of the closet in some way (Leo in particular looks very androgynous and I mistook him for a girl before reading the names) but I’m not optimistic . . 

I don’t mean to be salty. This honestly does look good. But I can’t help feeling like the fact that LEGO is emphasising racial and cultural differences, as well as disabilities, while as far as I can see totally ignoring the more ‘controversial’ type of disability, makes this whole thing feel . . insincere to me,

I've read the detailed character descriptions on Jay's Brick Blog and Autumn and Aliya are described as enjoying each other's affectionate company. Make of that what you will. Also, with his interest in sewing, designer labels and fashion shows etc, I feel like Olly is being coded as gay. 

Anyway, I'm so excited for these new Friends sets! I've always loved Lego Friends, but this new direction is so much better than the theme has ever been. I love how inclusive 2022's Friends sets were with the child with 2 dads, wheelchair users, a blind character and more people of colour (remember when Andrea's House had to include Stephanie because Lego didn't think a set with all black mini-dolls would sell? We've come a long way since then) etc.

I'm so excited to see even more diversity in 2023's Friends sets! Can't wait to get the dog in the wheelchair, all the new animals, all those amazing new hair pieces, rocking chairs, differently abled characters etc.. I'm looking forward to seeing the new cartoon based on this theme as well.

11 hours ago, El Garfio said:

I've never seen the set descriptions for Lego Friends on the Lego website say things like "girls can build"; It's always been "children can build" in anything I've read. Yes, the sets had stereotypically "girly" colours (which is a flawed concept. Colours, like any product not operated by a person's genitals, don't have genders) and no male main characters a few years ago, but in my experience Lego never defined Friends as a "girls theme".

I really hope the new Friends theme is even more successful than the old one and that we get more mini-doll themes. Mini-doll scaled Unicorns are so long overdue in Lego.

Also, I like that one of the main characters has a dead mother. Children with only one parent will be able to identify with that.

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

This "new" style of building architecture is great, the new characters as well.

The diner, dog rescue center and autumn's house look pretty good and for 2023, fairly priced before discounts.

No vehicles included is great as well, so the budget goes to the buildings, like 3-in-1 sets.

City buildings just focus a lot on vehicles, just the way that theme goes with it's bigger focus on Action instead of Architecture.

With 3-in-1 buildings being a bit rarer, this is a welcome change, yes Friends already had shops and houses for 10 years, but I like what's offered here.

I never really got into Friends much but this looks to become one of my favorite new themes.

Agreed. I often roll my eyes at Vehicles throughout City theme. City is not necessarily about vehicles. I want it to focus on buildings or scenery (like Picnic in the Park or WildlifeRescues subtheme).

Friends theme gets improved real stronger. Although I love City and yellow minifigures (I am not a an of mini dolls myself), this theme’s new direction just got my attention! 

6 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I’m not saying being gay is a disability at all. I just feel like LEGO’s reluctant to offend homo/transphobes by including LGBT representation, for fear that those demographics might boycott the line and hurt their profit margins. And it’s possible, I’d love to be proven wrong, but the fact that nothing of the sort was mentioned in any of the character biographies means I’m not hopeful.

There are gay dads in the Main Street set, so right there you have been proven wrong. You are just trying to be offended over nothing.

How old are these characters supposed to be? In the TV series maybe they will show same sex couples but don't like labels. 

13 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I take the other view - they’re all queer until proven otherwise 

6 hours ago, Killian said:

Also, with his interest in sewing, designer labels and fashion shows etc, I feel like Olly is being coded as gay.

This is an issue with using somewhat extreme stereotypes to indicate sexuality (if that is what LEGO are doing). People are assuming Olly is gay because he likes sewing and fashion and wears pink. Straight boys and young boys that don't know their sexuality might also like sewing and fashion. And not all gays are into what is often looked at as more female pursuits. The most flamboyant kid in my class when I was a kid is now a father to five by three different mothers, it turns out he wasn't gay!

If they really want to push boundaries with characters and they are defining their sexuality, have a "normal" looking boy - normal as in no extreme stereotypical traits, have him in plain old blue jeans and a shirt, have him be the sporty one and put him in a set with football/soccer training, and have him turn out to be gay in the associated media. A fairly normal looking kid, turns out to be gay. Just like most gay males in real life. Not flamboyant. Not into wearing pink. Not into doll collecting or sewing. Just a kid with interests like most other boys his age. Not really anything to tell he is gay, unless he tells you he is gay.

It will also be interesting to see how far they take the sexuality side of it, as in will they be defining it for the characters. As it is, they have introduced characters with traits but without yet indicating sexuality. If you are a boy and you like fashion, it is OK. You are just like Olly. It doesn't mean you are gay. It doesn't mean you are straight. But there is also the issue of how do they indicate sexuality. Do they have characters pair up and say these are romantic liaisons? If Olly has a friend (that is a boy), is he gay or are they just friends. It gets very messy for a toy line when you have limited characters. If these are being marketed at 5+ kids and those kids are seeing them as representative of themselves then I don't think I'd want media showing two boys kissing, just like I don't want two girls kissing or a boy and a girl kissing.

Something else I'd like to see in future if they really want to be honest about difference is other body types. They have started doing disabilities but everyone is still stick thin. Minidolls (as opposed to minifigures) could easily be moulded to portray larger children too. We have kids with glasses, hearing aids, missing limbs, wheelchairs, neurodivergence, and so on. Lots for children to identify with. Yet weight issues still seem to be hidden in Heartlake.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

There are gay dads in the Main Street set, so right there you have been proven wrong. You are just trying to be offended over nothing.

How do you know they are gay and not just friends? In the set itself there is no proof. I don't watch any related media, so obviously could have missed it if their sexualities are stated there. And isn't that the point. They are gay if you want them to be. But they are straight if someone else wants them to be. One might be a hairdresser but still straight. A boy that likes playing hairdressers might identify with him, but that doesn't mean the boy is gay ... or straight. It means he likes playing hairdressers.

2 hours ago, williejm said:

I take the other view - they’re all queer until proven otherwise 

:iamded_lol:
I'm fine with that. We are arguing over the sexuality of a plastic toy. 

25 minutes ago, MAB said:

How do you know they are gay and not just friends? In the set itself there is no proof. I don't watch any related media, so obviously could have missed it if their sexualities are stated there. And isn't that the point. They are gay if you want them to be. But they are straight if someone else wants them to be. One might be a hairdresser but still straight. A boy that likes playing hairdressers might identify with him, but that doesn't mean the boy is gay ... or straight. It means he likes playing hairdressers.

How do we know that williejm isn't right and all the characters are queer? If you haven't read or watched anything then the darn minifigures are just a toy and can be anything you want them to be. However pretty sure they are a couple in some official way. However LEGO is the biggest toy company in the world. They can't say characters are gay on boxes or press releases because that's banned in China. 

I'm done discussing the sexuality of a damn toy and going to go back to admiring the nice set designs.

Edited by Maple

@Maple I see that you are hoping for non-binary characters. As someone mentioned, you can decide two persons to be two gay dads Or straight / gay freinds OR straight friends or whatever you like to call them. So…you can decide that some named or generic characters to be non-binary yourself in yoru own imageination…. Just saying - I’m bowing out now.