Vilhelm22

LEGO Trains 2023

I picked up a 2023 catalogue in our Lego brand store and to my surprise it shows the 2018 freight train but not the 2022 one.

Then I had a look on Shop at Home and found that while the 2018 passenger train is retired, the 2018 freight train is not.

Wonder what's going on there...

Maybe they still have lots to sell?

But I wonder for how long can we count on it being present, I was wondering if I should snatch it, given I like it more than current.

Hey I got back into Lego again couple of years ago. I am interested in the present  train system but needs to catch up on info. (My last train was My Own Train.) I am aware of Powered Up, the hub and motor, and all plastic tracks.  Are there other differences and compatibility? Are there other threads  comparing the two systems?

apart from the track and motors there are no real differences. connections can even be made between the plastic and 9v track. ofcourse anything 9v wont work on the plastic track as they need power from the rails but gauge wise it will work.

Edited by XG BC

On 2/14/2023 at 6:04 AM, Mondo-TRON said:

Hey I got back into Lego again couple of years ago. I am interested in the present  train system but needs to catch up on info. (My last train was My Own Train.) I am aware of Powered Up, the hub and motor, and all plastic tracks.  Are there other differences and compatibility? Are there other threads  comparing the two systems?

Welcome (back). If you already have a decent amount of 9v rails and motors, you could convert any RC, PF or PU to 9V. You could sell off the PU parts to invest in some more 9v stuff.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the PU system, but having to change batteries all the time (or charging the battery box) bothers me. 

6 hours ago, *thomas* said:

Welcome (back). If you already have a decent amount of 9v rails and motors, you could convert any RC, PF or PU to 9V. You could sell off the PU parts to invest in some more 9v stuff.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the PU system, but having to change batteries all the time (or charging the battery box) bothers me. 

I actually doing the opposite. I want to convert my only set to PU and  continue expanding.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, XG BC said:

apart from the track and motors there are no real differences. connections can even be made between the plastic and 9v track. ofcourse anything 9v wont work on the plastic track as they need power from the rails but gauge wise it will work.

Is the Train Motor 9V Decorative Side with Closed Hub Points  ( 2871) from the My Own Train motor compatible with the PU  train motors?

Edited by Mondo-TRON

5 minutes ago, Mondo-TRON said:

Is the Train Motor 9V Decorative Side with Closed Hub Points  ( 2871) from the My Own Train motor compatible with the PU  train motors?

No, they are not compatible. The Technic axles used on the RC, PF, and PU motors will collide with the closed-hub sides of the 9v-era motor sides you are talking about. You need either 39886 or 2871b (there is no functional difference between the two I've linked too), as these have open hubs which allow the technic axles to fit.

Edited by Murdoch17

15 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

No, they are not compatible

... when you are not considering cutting a long enough Technic axle to length, right?

As I really don't like the axles sticking out and as they don't do anything other than sometimes increasing friction, I did that on a couple of my trains (I am a long time 9V person but have changed to PF and PUp using 9V motors as power pickup and the other stuff for controlling PF/PUp train motors) without any problems. 

But will force you to walk over into The Forbidden Territory and actually cut into a piece of ABS plastic. BTW, there is no LEGO logo or the like on LEGO Technic axles; maybe that renders that horrible move easier :pir-skel:. It is not reversible; once cut it is cut - but if you want to go back, just do it with another axle.

All the best,
Thorsten

13 minutes ago, Toastie said:

... when you are not considering cutting a long enough Technic axle to length, right?

couldnt you also use a 5l axle in theory? not shure if the stub is long enough.

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

not shure if the stub is long enough

It is a bit shaky but may work - 5.5L is a better match. Those come only with a stop that does not work on the PUp motor.

As 8L axles sell for 1 ... 5 cent on BL, order 20 or so, practice the cut (maybe using a brick-built LEGO jig) - and make perfect 5.5L Technic axles without stop :pir-thumb:

Best,
Thorsten 

"I've cut it twice and its Still too short"

Toastie beat me to it - if you want to use "Train Motor 9V Decorative Side with Closed Hub Points" your options are limited.  One reason TO use this piece is it comes in "Light Gray" where the new versions are "Light Bluish Gray" if that's important to your build.

I have NOT tried this, but you may able to put a 3L axle on one wheel and a 2L on the other and let them Float between the decorative pieces - but I bet those results wouldn't be satisfactory.

So you really have 2 options if you choose to Cut.  Drill holes through the Decorative Side Closed Hub Points (I would Definitely NOT do this), or cut an axle to 5.5L.  I use a 5.5L Axle with Stop as my guide and cut a longer axle to this length.  If LEGO were to ever produce a 5.5L axle, I would replace them with that - but in certain instances I'm good with cutting where LEGO doesn't provide another option.  Just a few nods from LEGO to the LEGO Train Community would be nice, but that's Another topic!  :classic:

38 minutes ago, JWBDolphins said:

I'm good with cutting where LEGO doesn't provide another option

Nice!

My take as well. There was a time (gone since long) that when TLG did not produce the piece I needed - and let us assume these were not super special - I tried and tried and tried and it mostly turned out to be bulky, ugly, flimsy. And then, years later, The Gods of LEGO thought: Hey, let's make ... that piece, because we can then make the set nice and much cheaper.

So yes, I know that living with the limits is part of the experience. But not offering 5.5L axles when changing from one system to another, well, is ... :pir-wink:

Best,
Thorsten

On 2/9/2023 at 11:50 PM, Duq said:

I picked up a 2023 catalogue in our Lego brand store and to my surprise it shows the 2018 freight train but not the 2022 one.

Then I had a look on Shop at Home and found that while the 2018 passenger train is retired, the 2018 freight train is not.

Yeah and I wonder why 2018 freight train is everywhere full on stock.

My bet, 2022 is S@H exclusivity and limited in retail. So they stick with 2018 freight train for others and call it a day. Maybe 2022 freight train is limited run.

It still doesnt make sense, but lego works in mysterious ways.

I bought 2022 passenger train, I cannot wait to put it on display, and be train sets free for 4 years.

I want to buy cobi Br52, but Im lazy to deal with missing pieces. Its not fun, and its time consuming. Definitely not worth...

I have to say that out of the dozen or so Cobi kits I've built (tanks & cars), I have never, ever had a single piece missing.  Also no extras!  I had a very hard time locating one of their very, very tiny pieces when it bounced onto the kitchen floor, especially since my cat tried to "help."  After all, I was down there at his level, I must want to play.  :grin:

On 2/22/2023 at 12:54 PM, Murdoch17 said:

No, they are not compatible. The Technic axles used on the RC, PF, and PU motors will collide with the closed-hub sides of the 9v-era motor sides you are talking about. You need either 39886 or 2871b (there is no functional difference between the two I've linked too), as these have open hubs which allow the technic axles to fit.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:41 AM, Toastie said:

As I really don't like the axles sticking out and as they don't do anything other than sometimes increasing friction, I did that on a couple of my trains (I am a long time 9V person but have changed to PF and PUp using 9V motors as power pickup and the other stuff for controlling PF/PUp train motors) without any problems. 

But will force you to walk over into The Forbidden Territory and actually cut into a piece of ABS plastic. BTW, there is no LEGO logo or the like on LEGO Technic axles; maybe that renders that horrible move easier :pir-skel:. It is not reversible; once cut it is cut - but if you want to go back, just do it with another axle.

All the best,
Thorsten

On 2/23/2023 at 11:17 AM, JWBDolphins said:

"I've cut it twice and its Still too short"

Toastie beat me to it - if you want to use "Train Motor 9V Decorative Side with Closed Hub Points" your options are limited.  One reason TO use this piece is it comes in "Light Gray" where the new versions are "Light Bluish Gray" if that's important to your build.

I have NOT tried this, but you may able to put a 3L axle on one wheel and a 2L on the other and let them Float between the decorative pieces - but I bet those results wouldn't be satisfactory.

So you really have 2 options if you choose to Cut.  Drill holes through the Decorative Side Closed Hub Points (I would Definitely NOT do this), or cut an axle to 5.5L.  I use a 5.5L Axle with Stop as my guide and cut a longer axle to this length.  If LEGO were to ever produce a 5.5L axle, I would replace them with that - but in certain instances I'm good with cutting where LEGO doesn't provide another option.  Just a few nods from LEGO to the LEGO Train Community would be nice, but that's Another topic!  :classic:

Thanks but I am  not going to cut an axles. I would need to buy the pieces that fit properly

Would parts 4022 and 2878c01 still work  while using the Power Ups motor. Or  would I need to by the current  Buffer Beam and wheels.

Edited by Mondo-TRON

1 hour ago, Mondo-TRON said:

Would parts 4022 and 2878c01 still work  while using the Power Ups motor.

4022 will work fine, but what has 2878c01 to do with the PUp motor?

Best,
Thorsten

5 hours ago, Toastie said:

4022 will work fine, but what has 2878c01 to do with the PUp motor?

Best,
Thorsten

Nevermind regarding 2878. My bad.

It looks like several sites are saying the Orient Express might be released in November. That would be nice insofar as this is anywhere accurate of course. I still do hope they make it standard track compatible.

5 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

It looks like several sites are saying the Orient Express might be released in November. That would be nice insofar as this is anywhere accurate of course. I still do hope they make it standard track compatible.

It would be a very good news

4 hours ago, BroKnight said:

Could you post a link?

Well I saw it on a Dutch site but I think it came from: List of future LEGO Ideas coming in 2023 and beyond [December update] - Jay's Brick Blog (jaysbrickblog.com)

But as I look further, it is nothing more than a guess. In other places even mid 2024 is mentioned. We can only hope and as always rumours can be very annoying...

On 2/9/2023 at 10:50 PM, Duq said:

I’ve seen this as well…

In 2011 a second cargo train was released (3677 Red Cargo Train) and the same thing occurred in 2015 with the release of the 60098 Heavy Haul Train.  This is now 2023, so would be the right time for a second one to be released.  Is it possible that instead they’re continuing to produce 60198 alongside the 2022 sets?