Vilhelm22

LEGO Trains 2023

With the announcement of the Orient Express as an IDEAS set, I think it’s worthwhile fast forwarding the creation of this thread by a couple of weeks (I was going to create it the same date as last year, November 14th).

So here goes with the list of train sets in recent years back to the Winter Holiday Train:

• 21344 Orient Express
  • 76423 Hogwarts Express & Hogsmeade Station

• 60335 Train Station
  • 60336 Freight Train
  • 60337 High Speed Passenger Train
  • 76405 Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition
  • 10308 Holiday Main Street (trolley/tram)

N/A

• 10277 Crocodile Locomotive
  • 40370 Trains 40th Anniversary Set (GWP)
  • 60271 Main Square (tram)

• 70424 Ghost Train Express
  • 71044 Disney Train

• 75955 Hogwarts Express
  • 60197 Passenger Train
  • 60198 Cargo Train

• 10259 Winter Village Station

•  10254 Winter Holiday Train

Sets with a strikethrough are retired.

Itallicised sets are ones with expected imminent retirement.

Bold sets are new for 2023.

I’m really looking forward to the Orient Express set when it’s released, but I’m really wondering will there be anything else?  Does this qualify for an 18+/Creator Expert/Icons set like the Crocodile or is it different because of hype surrounding the book (no murder was ever committed on the service)?  I’d be excited to hear your guys suggestions.

The Orient Express-specific thread is here:

@JopieK would pinning this be advisable?

Edited by Vilhelm22
Updated set list

Haha I just read your suggestion only after hitting the "Pin" button: so great idea!

Another thought I just had - 2011 and 2015 both had a new freight train (Red Cargo Train and Heavy Haul Train respectively).  The 2018 wave seems to have been a slump in the theme but could a second freight train following the 2022 wave be possible?

Cautiously optimistic about the Orient Express. I hope it's in the rough scale of the Crocodile and they're able to keep it at or below $200. The new Hogwarts is just too big for my taste...and available display space.

I'm looking forward to the Orient Express! 

However, there are a few things that concern me:
1. Are we going to get a loco, tender and coach combo (ala Emerald Knight, display Hogwarts Express)?
2. Is it going to be a "scale" 7/8 wide model, or a HE style display model?
3. Are LEGO going to release a separate add-on pack for further coaches?

Did some checking on this years Ideas sets:
The Globe (40) - reached 10K 4th May 2020, announced successful  30th September 2020, released 1st February 2022. (approx. 20 months between reaching 10K and being on shelves)

Starry Night (41) - reached 10K 13th August 2020, announced successful  4th February 2021, released 25th May 2022. (approx. 20 months between reaching 10K and being on shelves)

Jazz Quartet (42) - reached 10K 16th April 2021, announced successful 15th October 2021, released 29th June 2022. (approx. 14 months between reaching 10K and being on shelves)

Lighthouse (43) - reached 10K 29th October 2020, announced successful 22nd June 2021, released 1st Sept 2022. (approx. 22 months between reaching 10K and being on shelves)

The Office (44) - reached 10K 16th April 2021, announced successful 15th October 2021, released 1st October 2022. (approx. 17 months between reaching 10K and being on shelves)

From these results, it would be a guess that with a 22nd March 2022 10K goal reach, I would guestimate this to be releasing Nov/Dec 2023, depending on motorisation/scale choices.

Edited by Matt Dawson

Oh, that is a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect a train model to pass the review.

The idea looks great and I am curious to how he real model will look like. Hopefully it will be 8(+) wide and not 10 and can run on the standard track.

If Orient express gets Emerald night treatment with say three-four wagons mimicking whole train. I buy two sets...

If it goes Hogwarts express route, I dont have any intentions to buy these train statues...

They lost plot...

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

If Orient express gets Emerald night treatment with say three-four wagons mimicking whole train. I buy two sets...

If it goes Hogwarts express route, I dont have any intentions to buy these train statues...

They lost plot...

I think you may be misremembering a bit. The Emerald Night came with only one passenger coach. 

3 minutes ago, RedBrick1 said:

I think you may be misremembering a bit. The Emerald Night came with only one passenger coach. 

Read again and think...

11 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Read again and think...

Your comment truly does read as though you are linking the Emerald Night with having more than a single-passenger coach. You also could be a bit more polite in your reply, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt that a potential language barrier is forcing you to be a bit less congenial. 

Also, LEGO hasn't produced a Trains set of this style with that many coaches - ever. The piece count and price would simply be too high to move units. You are asking for something that just doesn't fit within LEGO's system. 

I fail to see how LEGO producing the Hogwarts Express in a larger scale indicates they have lost the plot in its entirety. Was it a misstep in our eyes? Yes, I agree with you. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they would view this new set as being in the same lane. (It doesn't have a license to rely on, a more niche subject matter, etc.) They proved me and many others wrong that were surethat we wouldn't be seeing another steam locomotive set for a long time after the Hogwarts Express release. I am convinced that they will need the Trains fans in order to make this a success. 

Edited by RedBrick1

@Matt Dawson So you’re thinking Q4 2023 - Q1 2024?

I wonder if they’ll release the four chosen ideas one-by-one or all together? I think TLG might actually release them in pairs— one under $200 usd and the other one over $200 usd.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:06 AM, M_slug357 said:

@Matt Dawson So you’re thinking Q4 2023 - Q1 2024?

I wonder if they’ll release the four chosen ideas one-by-one or all together? I think TLG might actually release them in pairs— one under $200 usd and the other one over $200 usd.

I don't recall them ever releasing Ideas sets all at the same time, even when multiples have been approved in the same period. There's 12 months in a year, plenty of time to space them out so that they aren't cannibalizing each others sales as much.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I don't recall them ever releasing Ideas sets all at the same time, even when multiples have been approved in the same period. There's 12 months in a year, plenty of time to space them out so that they aren't cannibalizing each others sales as much.

Yes I agree - recently it’s been every 2-3 months I think.  The only time I can think of that Ideas sets were released at the same time was when the Ship In A Bottle and Saturn V were both rereleased - but that hardly counts.  I agree with @Matt Dawson on the release date being around then - it gives them at least a year to either make it amazing or to completely ruin it.  I don’t know for sure, but a lot of recent occurrences actually directly linked with TLG I think have shown how much of a failure the Hogwarts Express has really been.

Even cobi is doing locomotives now, for 2023 they will have german steam locomotive br52 it will be compatible with L gauge and scale will 1:35. No stickers and price probably still be lower as aleays.

Lego get your s*it together!

There is no evidence Lego has any plans to offer more than a few train products for kids and an AFOL set every few years. For cost reasons, City trains will remain 6-wide, making them less and less interesting for AFOLs migrating to 8-wide like I did. I predict that Lego's role in the L-gauge market is negligible in a few years. Even this year, most of the rolling stock and track I purchased came from other brands.

Being an L-gauge fan, it is time to move on. Not only where we buy bricks, but also where we discuss. Forums like Eurobricks are unable to change their rules and adopt to a new, more diverse era. What's the point in discussing the absence of Lego sets when the real things happen somewhere else?!

Edited by legotownlinz

6 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

There is no evidence Lego has any plans to offer more than a few train products for kids and an AFOL set every few years. For cost reasons, City trains will remain 6-wide, making them less and less interesting for AFOLs migrating to 8-wide like I did. I predict that Lego's role in the L-gauge market is negligible in a few years. Even this year, most of the rolling stock and track I purchased came from other brands.

Being an L-gauge fan, it is time to move on. Not only where we buy bricks, but also where we discuss. Forums like Eurobricks are unable to change their rules and adopt to a new, more diverse era. What's the point in discussing the absence of Lego sets when the real things happen somewhere else?!

Small company from Poland can do everything than Lego cant, definitely its not for cost reasons. Now they have new rule they are abandoning stickers, they are doing rereleases without stickers, Im definitely shocked, its possible.

Im seriously tired with lego price increase, its over the top even for me. They have now easy formula 100 pieces=10 euro and thats enough for me. I started to look somewhere else for my favourite themes.

3 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Small company from Poland can do everything than Lego cant, definitely its not for cost reasons. Now they have new rule they are abandoning stickers, they are doing rereleases without stickers, Im definitely shocked, its possible.

Im seriously tired with lego price increase, its over the top even for me. They have now easy formula 100 pieces=10 euro and thats enough for me. I started to look somewhere else for my favourite themes.

Lego decided to do only high volume sets with big margins. It's more important for them to have maximum profit now than a sustainable business for many years. Customers move to other brands in droves, and they won't come back. Once the Lego collection is 'polluted' with third party bricks, there is really no reason to avoid other brands anymore.

4 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Lego decided to do only high volume sets with big margins. It's more important for them to have maximum profit now than a sustainable business for many years. Customers move to other brands in droves, and they won't come back. Once the Lego collection is 'polluted' with third party bricks, there is really no reason to avoid other brands anymore.

No no, lego is actually making all sets smaller to fit price range without price increasing. I figured it, when I saw 2023 sets, is very obvious. 

No Im no mixing bricks, because is still know lego has value and still is superior in quality. So I have strictly room for Lego and room for something else.

Its difference for me to pay 100 euro for 2600 pieces 1:12 car, to buy once and put it on display. And pay 250 euro for lower amount of pieces and same set purpose.

There is so much mandatories higher than before, so Im not funding lazy company that did nothing to me.

32 minutes ago, Ondra said:

No no, lego is actually making all sets smaller to fit price range without price increasing. I figured it, when I saw 2023 sets, is very obvious. 

With 'high volume' I meant a huge number of sales, not that the set is physically huge.

33 minutes ago, Ondra said:

No Im no mixing bricks, because is still know lego has value and still is superior in quality.

In the early days, I kept Lego and non-Lego strictly separated. Now I have all bricks in the same boxes, but non-Lego parts are still in separate bags so that they do not mix. I consider it a temporary solution, in the long term, everything will be mixed up. The more non-Lego sets I build, the more used I get to other parts and the less I care about the stud logo. :-)

3 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

I consider it a temporary solution, in the long term, everything will be mixed up. The more non-Lego sets I build, the more used I get to other parts and the less I care about the stud logo. :-)

I love this, the temporary nature. Got past this stage: Here it began with having a box full of non-LEGO stuff. Then I ordered non-LEGO parts packs (tiles, this and that). And now - I just mix them all up. Reason: There is essentially no difference other than the logo (none vs LEGO).

Glad that I am not alone ...

Best,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

I love this, the temporary nature. Got past this stage: Here it began with having a box full of non-LEGO stuff. Then I ordered non-LEGO parts packs (tiles, this and that). And now - I just mix them all up. Reason: There is essentially no difference other than the logo (none vs LEGO).

Glad that I am not alone ...

Best,
Thorsten

Well my lego in boxes mostly consist of 90s lego bricks, and thats something really different. These bricks will be good even after another 30 years.

7 hours ago, Ondra said:

These bricks will be good even after another 30 years.

That could very well be! And this sounds like a fun collection you have!

However, I believe that some of the non-LEGO bricks of the 2020's (that is when I found out that the Dark Side is much less dark than I always thought - the Flying Dutchman TLG never made really is the brightest star in my collection :pir-stareyes:) may also live that long - they are made from ABS as well. Yes, there are different compositions of ABS and the colors do affect their integrity. Well, some brownish LEGO elements tend to fall apart as well, chemistry on the Bright Side seems to be the same as on the Dark Side.

And the other thing is: In 30 years, statistically, I am dead since long. Around here, there is not that much enthusiasm towards building with ABS pieces as I have (regardless of make and model). So I better have all the fun now rather than never :pir-huzzah2:.

All the best,
Thorsten 

As it stands, I'm also 'in denial'. I have more and more non-TLG bricks and I'm not mixing them. But, there are a few models I'd like to build for which mixing parts will be inevitable.