koraldon

BREAKING: The Orient Express Train approved in LEGO Ideas

21 hours ago, dylanfarrow said:

Love me some Lego Trains, but also love electric vehicles. Very sad to read that the BYD buses aren't doing well, BYD have been very successful with electric and hybrids cars. I was hoping they would be successful with their buses too. Shame.

Same for me - I'll skip if this isn't 6-8 wide.

They won the bid for a way too low price so no wonder that they keep breaking down.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, JopieK said:

They won the bid for a way too low price so no wonder that they keep breaking down.

ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! 

(Sydney, Australia based, although I used to live in London, so love to learn about the reasons)

Are most offical motorized Lego train sets 6 studs wide?

What is the widest stud a steam train can go, that is motorized  and fit offical Lego train tracks, without looking weird ?

Edited by Mondo-TRON

1 hour ago, Mondo-TRON said:

What is the widest stud a steam train can go, that is motorized  and fit offical Lego train tracks, without looking weird ?

For *most* sets, yes 6-wide is king. However, the Emerald Night had an 7-wide cab, and the Disney train is 8-wide throughout the entire set. Please note, even in 6-wide steam engine sets (Lone Ranger and Toy Story), the pistons, side-rods, and other items of steam locomotives usually make them wider than 6-wide at the widest point.

Edited by Murdoch17

10 hours ago, Mondo-TRON said:

Hello

10 wide is the widest, for standard gauge (1,435 mm), if the width of the real train is around 3 meters or 10 feet.

For narrow gauge you can go wider than 10 studs wide, depending on the original train.

12 hours ago, Mondo-TRON said:

Most MOC builders stay in the range of 6-8 wide trains, especially if the length of locos and wagons are built proportional to chosen width. (the wider -> the longer) With Lego standard train track and R40 curves and switches, any train exceeding 8-wide will look ridiculous in my opinion.

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake

From all of the posts, It seems like the ideal and widest, (with out looking weird)  stud width is 8 studs, to fit LEGO tracks.

With that info, I think the Ideas "The Orient Express, A Legendary Train" should be a 2-in-1. The first build is what  LEt.sGO  submitted. The model with all the high details, etc. The second build is 8 studs wide with 2-3 cars, using all the pieces that is used to make the 1 car in the model version/build #1. ( Don't know what the left over pieces from the locomotive/tender can be built into)  The second build  also comes with a train motor, Powered up Hub,  and an oval track. There probably  would be two sets of wheels and unused pieces for both build.

I think the 2-in-1  approach would be a win/win. LEt.sGO would get the model that he submitted   and it would be what  the people who voted for it. The fans who don't like the model version would have a motorized set and fits on the  track system.

Don't know how much a  2-in-1 set like this would  cost. Even if it cost about the same as the Hogwarts Express, it would be a better value or at least more favorable.

Edited by Mondo-TRON

As others, it's a purchase but only if it can be motorised. Thankfully HE wasn't, saved me a lot of €€€

Edited by hsousa