koraldon

BREAKING: The Orient Express Train approved in LEGO Ideas

All aboard the Orient Express / hype train! (Now I just need to buy a mummy figure to go with my 12th Doctor Who figure to at least partially* recreate the "Mummy on the Orient Express" episode!) I just hope they don't pull and Emerald Night on us and make it one car per set... Anyway IĀ can't wait for this to be revealed!

*Yes, I know it was a space train in the episode. But stylistically, it was based off this steam train.

Thanks for sharing, I just also so the news in my mailbox :) Great addition for the Train fans.

Wow! First the Studgate second chance, and now a real option at a classic steam train. The Orient Express model as is, is a gorgeous recreation of the fabled train. As mentioned, I hope this is a scale compatible with LEGO track. The carriage is 10-wide, so it might turn into another Hogwart's Express display piece. That would border on criminal. Having instructions / add on pack to motorize it would be frosting on this cake. The topper would be the option for extra cars (sleeper?)

8/10 wide - it does not fit on my layout. And 3000 pieces ... I'm out: This is going to be another money monsterĀ :pir-sweet:

But other than that: Good for some of us train heads!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Ā 

Ā 

I will be interested to see what the released set will be, hopefully it will be compatible with lego track and not just a display piece like the Hogwarts Express.Ā  There is even a comment on the website from the designer that some of the wheels do not fit correctly on the track so I think Lego will have some work adjusting the fan design.

An Ideas Train. I am looking forward to it. Even if the last Hogwarts Express immediately ruins the joy of a Lego train. This Ideas design is also impractically wide and if implemented 10+ studs wide, hardly useful.

So let's hope and see how Lego realizes the whole train.....

Thomas

LEGO reserves the rights to make changes.Ā  Will they murder it?Ā  :pir-classic:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Finally the legendary Orient Express, congratulations to the designer. I hope TLG will cheris this set as they did with Medieval Blacksmith, make it smaller to fit the standard LEGO train layout and maybe do two smaller passenger wagons (coupe and dining) instead of just one. Motorizing and lighting option would also be very welcome. In my opinion this also means TLG is not working on the successor of the Crocodile Locomotive, unless this is it.

Edited by Interceptor

27 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

LEGO reserves the rights to make changes.Ā  Will they murder it?Ā  :pir-classic:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Not exactlyā€¦ GWP polybag perhapsā€¦?

I feel like theyā€™ve put it into the final review pool, just to reject it 3-6 months from now on the basis of it being ā€œoverly complexā€

29 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Not exactlyā€¦ GWP polybag perhapsā€¦?

I feel like theyā€™ve put it into the final review pool, just to reject it 3-6 months from now on the basis of it being ā€œoverly complexā€

I don't know what you mean by "put into the final review pool". This just PASSED reviewā€”that stage of the process, at least, is done (and so far Lego hasn't yet rejected any project after it has passed the review stage and been selected).

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

8/10 wide - it does not fit on my layout. And 3000 pieces ... I'm out: This is going to be another money monsterĀ :pir-sweet:

All the best,
Thorsten

Hope we get decent parts. If you reconsider and make a < 8-wide MOD and post it in here...

An Ideas Train. I am looking forward to it. Even if the last Hogwarts Express immediately ruins the joy of a Lego train. This Ideas design is also impractically wide and if implemented 10+ studs wide, hardly useful.

So let's hope and see how Lego realizes the whole train.....

Thomas

We would have never dreamt of TLG accepting a train after so many great ones were rejected in Ideas!

Wow this could be amazing! But it also holds big potential to be disappointing - see HP.Ā 

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I just hope they don't pull and Emerald Night on us and make it one car per set... Anyway IĀ can't wait for this to be revealed!

Honesty, at this point I wouldn't mind, we'll never again get separately sold coaches. Rather put the detail in loco and only one coach than 2 wagons or none (see crocodile - so lonely on the track)Ā 

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

As mentioned, I hope this is a scale compatible with LEGO track. The carriageļ»æ is 10-wide, so it might turn into another Hogwart's Express display piece. That would border on criminal.Ā 

Yes it would. Please lego by the dear almighty, just make a usable train set!Ā 

1 hour ago, Interceptor said:

In myļ»æļ»æ opinion this also means TLG is not working on the ļ»æļ»æsuccessor of the Crocodile Locomotive, unless this is it.ļ»æ

Could be that this is their "easy way out", not having worked on one and unwilling to"quickly"allocate resources to it after the crocodiles success (or not success, we still don't know it seems)Ā 

19 minutes ago, Kallego said:

I really hope they don't go the line of the recent Hogwarts Express...

Ā 

Ā 

This would be devastating (in lego circumstances World).Ā 

I might actually write lego that this needs to be driveable. Maybe personal feedback goes a long way... Who knows.Ā :pir-laugh:

I reckon the amount of rage theyā€™ve got from us train fans, the fact that itā€™s built as L-Gauge in the original idea, and seeing as Iā€™m pretty sure they havenā€™t yet started designing it in the first place, means hopefully it should be L-Gauge. Ā I have Crocodile-level expectations - not perfect but pretty good.

By the way with this setā€™s creation Iā€™ve started a 2023 thread:

Ā 

Vilhelm22Ā 

I'm not super impressed with the originalĀ - it's okay, but it doesn't exactly leap out at me, either. Certainly, I have seen better train models casually submitted by some of the people on these forums (none of which resorted to 10w).

Ideas is so weird. The successful bids often seemĀ to have more to do with self-marketing than talent... and then the things Lego selects to do are frequentlyĀ (mostly, I'd argue) too avant-garde for their own good. Like... the Polaroid camera that got approved with this batch. Who, really, wants to drop 60-100 bucks to own a fake camera? There's a difference between admiring a design and wanting to put up real money for a dust-collector.

If this winds up as another Hogwarts Express - a fat, stuffed-and-mounted, unusable mega-build - shoot me.

Edited by LordsofMedieval

My guess Hogwarts express treatment, just static model without any way to motorise or run on classic layouts...

Yeah, Im downer and party crasher!

11 minutes ago, Ondra said:

My guess Hogwarts express treatment, just static model without any way to motorise or run on classic layouts...

Yeah, Im downer and party crasher!

We, the train fanatics, hope against hope for a miracle (especially after the Hogwart's Express). If LEGO does this right, they have a chance to give another wind to the AFOL train community and show we aren't the red headed step-child they pretend doesn't exist.

Just now, Feuer Zug said:

We, the train fanatics, hope against hope for a miracle (especially after the Hogwart's Express). If LEGO does this right, they have a chance to give another wind to the AFOL train community and show we aren't the red headed step-child they pretend doesn't exist.

Well, whats sad City probably stick to classic 6wide motorized trains with basic design and these display models will be 10 stud wide, interior detail wise its logical.

But nobody will invest to new lego gauge... So thats it!

Ā 

Trains are dead, all hail to new trains!

The designer of this is in some of the LEGO Train Facebook groups. I asked if he designed this with track compatibility in mind and he said, "Yes, but LEGO will decide for the final product."Ā 

Fingers crossed that LEGO follows his cue.Ā 

*oh2*Ā really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for L gauge compatibilityĀ :thumbup:

Edited by bondp99
Spelling

5 hours ago, Toastie said:

All the best,
Thorsten

Ā 

Ā 

I'm out too ... too many pieces and too much like EN ...the model does not justify such a high expense and my collection is already complete.

Maybe a few years ago I would have considered it a valid option! :classic:

3 hours ago, JopieK said:

If you reconsider and make a < 8-wide MOD and post it in here..

No chance - Ms. Toastie (CFO here) will not approve that.

Spoiler

Ā 

There is also a good reason for that: Two weeks ago, I found an original IBM XT in one storage room of the Theoretical Chemistry group: A 5160 with IBM Color display, IBM keyboard - all made in 1985. The mother board played dead - and there are simply too many things that may cause such a behavior. Got then a clone board from 1986 (there goes my budgetĀ :pir-laugh:) and - it worked with all the other cards. For some reason, I had the idea that this former "passing out" - every time after powering on (voltages all there, clock fine, just the 4164 memory chips only got 3 refresh cycles and then flat line) - may be caused by a faulty (AMD) 8086 CPU - replaced that with the (Intel) 8086 from the clone board - and - bingo. In 1986, my wife did some stuff on a similar machine during her industrial training and I had the chance to just have a look. Since then, I worshiped this thing, but 10000 D-Marks was an incomprehensible amount of money. Cleaned the thing (they did smoke in the office, back then) and now I have a shiny, looking-like-new IBM XT system.

I am sure you can envision, what happens now - there a two 5 1/4" original IBM approved Tandon floppy drives on that one - for monstrous 360kB DS storage - it boots into IBM Basic 1.1 (BIOS #2) or into DOS 3.1 (!) from floppy drive A. Yes, exactly: I need to save up for all sorts of things now ... no >>ā‚¬300 LEGO set even remotely thinkable:pir-wink:.

Ā 

Best,
ThorstenĀ  Ā  Ā 

If this is compatible with Lego track and can be motorized, I am in.Ā  I can live with one passenger car.Ā  My only fear is that they might have to significantly change the interior detail to make it smaller than 10 wide.Ā  Like everyone else, I am not looking for Hogwarts Express Disaster 2.0.Ā Ā