Darth_Legois

Aussie sales! Share the news of LOCAL sales!

I think my chances are very low, but does anyone have an opinion on how likely it would be to find a Black Pearl POTC set on shelves?

I chatted to the lady at Toyworld and the best she could suggest was to call some of the country stores since they occasionally have old sets available.

Hoping for the best since the mark ups on eBay are pretty high.

I think my chances are very low, but does anyone have an opinion on how likely it would be to find a Black Pearl POTC set ?

I'd say your chances are next to Zero. I remember holding out hope of finding the original Millienium Falcon - and I too hoped for a country store. But had no luck.

But best of luck anyway - maybe look for second hand kits, should get a decent drop in price once the kits been opened

I got the smallest Teenage Mutant Ninja set (Kraang's Lab Escape) from Coles Express on Clearance for $5.75 yesterday (RRP $22.95). Also saw Speedorz on sale at Myers for $9 with an additional 30% off on Red ticket sale today.

I think my chances are very low, but does anyone have an opinion on how likely it would be to find a Black Pearl POTC set on shelves?

I chatted to the lady at Toyworld and the best she could suggest was to call some of the country stores since they occasionally have old sets available.

I know that Toy Corner has at least one on their behind-the-counter shelves today......but don't ask how much though :blush: ......because I don't know the price anyway :blush: ......so just contact them and ask. :wink:

That would be an awesome find, hope you find one. If not, you may be able to get the unique parts on BL and get the other parts from your collection/other sets. Usually works out cheaper than the high ebay prices.

Ah, not only are Myer having a Lego sale.....but so are TRU from the 19th Feb. to 4th March......selected city, creator and friend's sets on sale.......link here http://www.lasoo.com...alogue#pageNo=0

Thanks 'Tiger, appreciated that.

I got the smallest Teenage Mutant Ninja set (Kraang's Lab Escape) from Coles Express on Clearance for $5.75 yesterday (RRP $22.95). Also saw Speedorz on sale at Myers for $9 with an additional 30% off on Red ticket sale today.

Awesome. I was in the normal Coles this morning and only saw the series 7 minifigs there as far as Lego is concerned.

Edited by dragonau

This might be old news but the Back to the Future car is now $59.99 (but not listed as on sale) on shop at home instead of $69.99 that it was before. Maybe it does work when us Aussies vote with our credit cards and don't purchase unfairly priced sets (I'm looking at you Sea Cow).

Also for those in Adelaide, there was an R2-D2 at Target Newton last night. Box looked like it had been repaired a little and I assume the 20% off is valid for it. Also it doesn't look like the discounts apply to the junior range of superheroes sets.

Metalbeard's Sea Cow is now available to VIPs on S@H. Yeah, $390 if you hadn't already decided not to get it.

Metalbeard's Sea Cow is now available to VIPs on S@H. Yeah, $390 if you hadn't already decided not to get it.

This surprised me to no end, I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but it's unusually expensive by comparison with everything else.

I'd have expected a set like The Tower of Orthanc to have licensing costs galore that would be reflected in it's price, it works out to 11.8 cents a piece, Rescue Reinforcements from the Movie line is 11.6 cents a piece........but the SeaCow is 14.2 cents a piece, if it had been priced in accordance with other Movie line sets it would have come in at just under $320, instead we're paying $390....for what exactly?

... instead we're paying $390....for what exactly?

Perhaps just to support extra to Lego's profit margins... Why would I pay that much when can get it elsewhere for less (US$249.99). Same for the Tower of Orthanc (US$199.99) and the Simpsons house (US$199). That's a big difference, probably more than enough to pay for the tax on the airfare overseas lol.

Edited by dragonau

instead we're paying $390....for what exactly?

Crazy pricing, it's all over the place with out any real logic, maybe something to do with future AUD rates. I just Hope Benny's Spaceship is a reasonable price.

Sydney city Myer 20% of all lego sale - no train tracks, no flash sets left. Couple of opera house and one mindstorm set left. plenty of the new super heroes, new starts wars, city stuff

What a rip for their own creation...

What a rip for their own creation...

Except...it may be that as the rights to the Lego Movie belong to Warner Brothers Lego may bizarely be paying something back to Warner Brothers in terms of license fees. Crazy I know but possible depending on the deals in place.

In any case an ugly looking set to my eye and I don't think I would buy it even if it was <$100.

Edited by TeufelHund

Why would I pay that much when can get it elsewhere for less (US$249.99). Same for the Tower of Orthanc (US$199.99) and the Simpsons house (US$199). That's a big difference, probably more than enough to pay for the tax on the airfare overseas lol.

While I agree pricing seems unfair there is one thing which is pointed out - sales tax / GST. The Aussie price includes our 10% GST (so it's actually $354 + $35 in GST). If you go to place like NY there's a sales tax - somewhere around 8%. So the US$250 becomes US$270.

Still a big difference, but not quite as bad. If you then factor in the AUD/USD or AUD/EUR exchange rate the differential again gets a little better.

I'm not trying to defend the difference - just a few pointers I encountered when I bought some LEGO in NY once (and NY LEGO stores had their own markup on RRP too!!).

While I agree pricing seems unfair there is one thing which is pointed out - sales tax / GST. The Aussie price includes our 10% GST (so it's actually $354 + $35 in GST). If you go to place like NY there's a sales tax - somewhere around 8%. So the US$250 becomes US$270.

Still a big difference, but not quite as bad. If you then factor in the AUD/USD or AUD/EUR exchange rate the differential again gets a little better.

I'm not trying to defend the difference - just a few pointers I encountered when I bought some LEGO in NY once (and NY LEGO stores had their own markup on RRP too!!).

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, the local tax is something else to consider...and it varies in each state.

----

Anyone seen anything coming up in catalogues for thursday and beyond? Got Target today, zilch.

Oh, has anyone seen that TMNT set at Coles for $5? Seems like Coles is going out of Lego...all my local ones don't have.

--------

QBD has the Chima BrickMaster book with Lego (2 minifigs/180 or so pcs) for $14.99. With a QBD card, you can get $1.50 credit (effectively $13.49 each) [i've put photo on Instagram #legoaussiesales]

Also the Chima sticker book is <$6, but I am not sure if I need this...seems like there are some stickers to put on lego pieces too. Anyone recommend getting this?

Edited by dragonau

Anyone spotted The Lego Movie sets in the wild yet?

No, but I was told last month by someone at Myer that in February they were getting them......I'm not holding my breath. :tongue:

Jumping off topic - but this IS Australia related news /comment.

Just read LEGO movie tops box office for 2nd week in a row. Thanks WB and LEGO for NOT allowing Australia to participate in this, for another 2 months.

It's actually harder than I thought to avoid spoilers / etc for this movie. Again thanks WB & LEGO.

Hi, Have been following the tread for a while so thought I should participate....or ask a question at least :classic:

Does anyone know if the Technic sets 42009, 42025, 42008 are sold by bricks and mortar stores i.e. Myer DJ etc?

Jumping off topic - but this IS Australia related news /comment.

Just read LEGO movie tops box office for 2nd week in a row. Thanks WB and LEGO for NOT allowing Australia to participate in this, for another 2 months.

It's actually harder than I thought to avoid spoilers / etc for this movie. Again thanks WB & LEGO.

Yes, I'm surprised we are behind...not sure why they decided that. They animated most of the movie in Sydney too. The reason may be something to do with the release schedule of sets.

TLM was actually a little scary for my 3yo daughter in parts (she watches Dr Who, so go figure)... but overall she liked it.

Edited by dragonau

TLM was actually a little scary for my 3yo daughter in parts (she watches Dr Who, so go figure)... but overall she liked it.

Good to know as I wanted to take my 3 yo too, as I'm getting *him* the minifigs to go with seeing it.

Not for me of course :P