zinnn

Whoever changed the font for this sub-forum - is the font KILLING you? Speak now... or die slowly.

Recommended Posts

Can you please change it back to the default Helvetica / Arial fallback?? The new Jost font is awful and not meant for screens, it looks blurry on my 27inch screen, and gives me headache (I'm not exaggerating). It seems it's more of a display type for large sizes, rather than body type (I work as a designer). Please please change it back. If you want another type please DM me and I can advise you something better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was me because I got tired of looking at the clunky Helvetica on my 24 inch screen.

And strangely enough, the new font, Jost is much smoother without any blurring.

But in case my monitor (or my head) is the issue, and everyone else is suffering, I'm open to changing the font.

 

47 minutes ago, zinnn said:

If you want another type please DM me and I can advise you something better. 

Sure, but please post your recommendations here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am inclined to agree. I dislike this new font mostly on my phone. It feels awkward.

 

The normal text etc seems fine to me, but the "bold" text in titles just doesn't sit right with me... 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

am inclined to agree. I dislike this new font mostly on my phone. It feels awkward.

But is anything preventing you from reading it clearly?  I.e. Is it blurry or distorted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

But is anything preventing you from reading it clearly?  I.e. Is it blurry or distorted?

Readability it isn't an issue, although if it's bold it does become harder to read! It's more that it just feels awkward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

But is anything preventing you from reading it clearly?  I.e. Is it blurry or distorted?

It makes my head hurt if I read in this font too long. (I get ocular migraines so this style might be a trigger? I don't know.) It starts getting blurry for me after a few minutes and I'm on a desktop.

...Granted, I'm not in this forum that much, but it is an issue for me. (and possibly others who might not even have an account to say so)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

It makes my head hurt if I read in this font too long. (I get ocular migraines so this style might be a trigger? I don't know.) It starts getting blurry for me after a few minutes and I'm on a desktop.

Well, that's two reports of this blurriness so there must be an issue with the typeface rather.

Looks like the font will need changing then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only blurry for me when bold, and I find the non-bold version is more difficult to read than the old font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to know the specifications of the device(s) and display(s) upon which this blurriness is occurring.

I've tested on:

  • Two different desktop computers using the same 24" Asus monitor with 1920x1080 resolution, one Windows 7 and the other Windows 10.
  • An ASUS laptop with a 17" monitor running Windows 11. 
  • Samsung Galaxy S10

The text is fine on all those devices except for when using Chrome. In Chrome, the light weight text is fainter - it's almost as though the textin Chrome  is a weight or two lighter than what's Firefox is displaying (I.e. 400 versus 300 or 200).

I wouldn't describe the Chrome text as blurry but it is harder to read.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth...

The new font (while it did take a minute to get used to) is not blurry on any of my devices that I've viewed it on.

This includes:

  • a desktop running Windows 10 with 32" LG monitors at 1920x1080 resolution - Chrome browser
  • laptop with 15.6" screen running Windows 10 in Chrome browser
  • Google Pixel 6 Pro in Chrome browser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm viewing in Firefox running Windows 10 Enterprise. Not sure what my monitor specs are other than it's 1080p full HD.

But beyond the bold being a bit fuzzy, the font in general is difficult to read. The font used on the rest of Eurobricks does not cause me any problems, but this font causes me eye strain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also would love to see the classic forum font back, there's no need to fix something that's not broken.

BUT if you ~have~ to change it, can it be done across the whole board, not only this subforum? It's so confusing for my eyes and brain to cruise between this and other forums. One font I can recommend is Inter https://rsms.me/inter/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zinnn said:

I also would love to see the classic forum font back, there's no need to fix something that's not broken.

The default Invision PowerBoard font is Roboto.

But the font the used by the other Eurobricks forums is Helevtica, I'm not certain if that is even deliberate or the font is broken and it's falling back to Helevitca, but on Windows it looks a lot more clunkier than it does on Mac.

 

11 hours ago, zinnn said:

BUT if you ~have~ to change it, can it be done across the whole board, not only this subforum?

I'm only responsible for the LEGO Pirates Forum which already has numerous customisations not present in other forums.

And I don't like the way Helevtica renders on my displays so I don't want to see it anymore -  simple as that!

11 hours ago, zinnn said:

It's so confusing for my eyes and brain to cruise between this and other forums. One font I can recommend is Inter https://rsms.me/inter/

I looked into various fonts throughout the week and Inter was the one I decided was most appropriate.

Now that's its deployed, ironically I think Jost displayed better for me.

But there are various different factors which determines how a font will display so maybe it will suit others better.

14 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

But beyond the bold being a bit fuzzy, the font in general is difficult to read. The font used on the rest of Eurobricks does not cause me any problems, but this font causes me eye strain.

So what about now with a different font?

Typically, I'm having some eye strain with the new one.  But let's see if I can get used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All new fonts take some time getting used to. On another matter - has the size of text been enhanced? :pir-oh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I looked into various fonts throughout the week and Inter was the one I decided was most appropriate.

Nice one, I love Inter, IMHO one of the best fonts released in the past 5 years. I implemented it across my organisation's digital and printed assets and website, it feels both classic and modern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

So what about now with a different font?

This looks better. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

This looks better. :thumbup:

Excellent!

3 hours ago, zinnn said:

Nice one, I love Inter, IMHO one of the best fonts released in the past 5 years. I implemented it across my organisation's digital and printed assets and website, it feels both classic and modern.

There is a huge difference in the way Firefox (left) renders Helvetica versus Chrome (right) so I may well put the forward the suggestion of changing the font to Inter in other forums.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have a particular problem with the font that started this thread, but I do rather like what I'm seeing right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to chime in and say that I'm not a huge fan of the font. Does it enrage me? No. But it's not... it's just not a very nice looking text. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LordsofMedieval said:

I'm just going to chime in and say that I'm not a huge fan of the font. Does it enrage me? No. But it's not... it's just not a very nice looking text. That's all.

You’re a month late, this thread was about a different font. The current one is great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zinnn said:

You’re a month late, this thread was about a different font. The current one is great

Nah, not so great. I for one prefer the font that was used here before and that is used in the other forums/subforums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.