Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

5619 Crystal Hawk Review

indexed.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members,

This will be my last impulse set review for the second wave. Hope everyone of you will find my reviews useful and helpful in your purchase. :classic:

Name: Crystal Hawk

Theme: LEGO System / Mars Mission

Year: 2008

Pieces: 26

Minifigs: 1

An image of a 5619, Crystal Hawk

1.jpg

Alpha 3 in Sector 5, reporting to base

7.jpg

Alpha 3, Crystal Hawk, reporting for duty, Sir! May I present Mars Mission, latest scout craft, code named "Crystal Hawk". This spacecraft looks very sleek and cool with its usual white and orange color combination. I am not a fan of Mars Mission, but these white mini-figs simply attracted me for it. In fact, I only owned its impulse sets, and none of its main sets. :tongue:

Nevertheless, this set has the "swoosh" factor. I was swooshing around in my home last night. :laugh: Well, I am not swooshing it like KimT though. :tongue:

Am I seeing double?

4.jpg

Haha, the answer is "No". It has double sided face. I combined the pictures, to illustrate the two facial expressions. :sweet:

Bits and Pieces

5.jpg

Different angles

6.jpg

8.jpg

Love the way how the wings bend upwards and downwards. The only thing I find it a little bit wierd for spacecraft. Normally, I thought joystick is the typical navigation controls for a spacecraft instead of a steering wheel? I am not complaining about a steering wheel in a spacecraft. To me, it's quite an uncommon sight. Anyway, the white steering wheel is an useful part for making vehicles MOCs. :sweet:

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Fun to play with when you bend the wings up and down.)

Design: 8.5/10 (Design is simple, but creates a sleek and cool look.)

Price: 8/10 (An inexpensive set to get more scout craft and mars mission mini-figs)

Overall: 8.5/10 (A very good set to have for any Mars Mission fans, and for collectors like me whom can't afford all Mars Mission sets, this set is a very great alternative.)

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Thanks for pics.

The Hawk, it seems to me, lacks a cockpit, theres not even a seat to keep the pilot from falling off.

Perhaps it they'd redesigned it to be a backpack jetpack sort of unit using similar pieces, it'd at least make some sense?

Based on the other MM impluses, Can we assume this goes for 3.5$USD?

at that price it seems to me, that the Astro Fighter at 5$USD was already a superior impluse set.

Guess I'd buy one on clearance, for the minifig.

Glad you enjoyed viewing the review. :classic:

The Hawk, it seems to me, lacks a cockpit, theres not even a seat to keep the pilot from falling off.

Perhaps it they'd redesigned it to be a backpack jetpack sort of unit using similar pieces, it'd at least make some sense?

These are some of the improvements which we can do it ourselves to mod it better. I think these are great suggestions. Otherwise, we can add in a white air tank to be included onto the mini-fig. 3838.png

Based on the other MM impluses, Can we assume this goes for 3.5$USD?

at that price it seems to me, that the Astro Fighter at 5$USD was already a superior impluse set.

Guess I'd buy one on clearance, for the minifig.

In S@H, Crystal Hawk is priced at USD $3.50. I bought mine at a much expensive price, when you compared it with USD. I never bought the Astro Fighter. I am supposed that it comes with a little bit more parts and an additional alien fig with it. :tongue:

Thanks for another review WhiteFang!

This is quite a nice set actually. It evokes some of the design elements of the MX-11, while looking different enough to justify me buying it. The head on the astronaut is one I like, so even better. I hadn't realised it was that one actually. Does 26 pieces make it one of the bigger impulses sets? I think I may have to get one, if not two...

Plus it's called 'Crystal Hawk'. How can that not be considered cool?

Nice Review :thumbup: good little set probable one of the only impusle sets i will be geting untill/if they make Agents Theme impulse sets :sweet:

And i like the neat double-sided face :classic:

Edited by Darth_Legois_619

Thanks for your comments, guys! I really appericate it. :sweet:

This is quite a nice set actually. It evokes some of the design elements of the MX-11, while looking different enough to justify me buying it. The head on the astronaut is one I like, so even better. I hadn't realised it was that one actually. Does 26 pieces make it one of the bigger impulses sets? I think I may have to get one, if not two...

IMO, Impulse set total piece count should be 30 or less. It will be ideal and more ways to construct a much better impulse sets such as past impulse sets that we came across. :wink: I may be wrong, on the 30 piece count thing. But, this is how I view Impulse sets. :sweet:

Plus it's called 'Crystal Hawk'. How can that not be considered cool?

Do you know I bought this set, mainly because it have such a cool name attached with it. "Crystal Hawk", I simply fell in love with that name. :blush:

Thank you for the nice review.

This set has a very classic space feeling, so I don't care about the lack of cockpit.

A nice little set with a nice minifig.

I really like the look of this Impulse set! even though i sold off my MM sets to buy SW i kept my Astro fighter and this impulse set really appealed from the moment i laid eyes on it. I feel the swooshability and cool extras like the double sided face far outweigh the lack of cockpit.

Thanks for another great review Whitefang! :thumbup:

I like this one aswell, It has a couple of parts i need for an MOC train locomotive and I don't have any of those space guys yet. and a double faced guy is always a winner in my book

Thanks for the review. :sweet: I still don't own any impulse set... but I wouldn't mind another of those heads so I might just have to get this one!

IMO, Impulse set total piece count should be 30 or less. It will be ideal and more ways to construct a much better impulse sets such as past impulse sets that we came across. :wink: I may be wrong, on the 30 piece count thing. But, this is how I view Impulse sets. :sweet:

When doing my research for the Impulse competition, I found that excluding the minifig, the sets seem to have from 12 to 27 pieces.

Really the only reason I would want to pick this up would be for the fig head, but I bought a bunch on lego at home this week.

I do have to say some of the sets for Mars are awesome and some are the total opposite and just suck.

When doing my research for the Impulse competition, I found that excluding the minifig, the sets seem to have from 12 to 27 pieces.

Sinner, sorry I had just noticed this particular response. :tongue:

I thought the total amount of parts presented in a typical impulse set should be between 30 pieces count or less, including the minifig? Crystal Hawk is made up of 21 parts, while the minifig's parts add up to 5 parts which consist of its legs, torso, head, helmet and visor.

There may not be a clear definition of an impulse set structure. I am just curious on how you managed to derived this formula. On a side note, the Impulse competition is a great contest that was enjoyed by many in our community. :wub: