Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

What is the best way to display Lego inside a car?

Is using glue or tape on a small base plate the only way to display Lego inside a car? Is there any way you can think of or any accessories specially designed so that no glue or tape is needed but the Lego will be stable and not fall off while the car is moving?

Edited by ks6349

Blu-tak, removable sticky pads, use string to dangle it from the mirror, ...

Any solution that works for non-Lego items could be used.

41 minutes ago, danth said:

This thread has me stressing about melted and/or stolen Lego. 😱

melted or stolen Lego??????? I don't understand.

Edited by ks6349

You can use Velcro tape if you have concerns about theft.  That way you can detach the LEGO and hide in your glove box or trunk depending on the size of your creation.

ABS normally doesn't melt in a hot car but PLA will.  The custom GPS stand on the left is 3D printed with ABS, the one on the right is printed with PLA.

p1.jpg

I would be more concerned about UV light yellowing the parts. I have a sunglass holder made with black LEGO pieces in the car.  My car came with a rubbery tray on top of the dash.  It sits there in the sun and no noticeable colour change on the black pieces.

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

You can use Velcro tape if you have concerns about theft.  That way you can detach the LEGO and hide in your glove box or trunk depending on the size of your creation.

ABS normally doesn't melt in a hot car but PLA will.  The custom GPS stand on the left is 3D printed with ABS, the one on the right is printed with PLA.

p1.jpg

I would be more concerned about UV light yellowing the parts. I have a sunglass holder made with black LEGO pieces in the car.  My car came with a rubbery tray on top of the dash.  It sits there in the sun and no noticeable colour change on the black pieces.

I'd like to display a few mini-figures in my car that will stand on small base plates but I cannot figure out how to keep whole thing still while driving, no problem with the mini-figures because they will attach to the Lego base plates and I will probably add a few 1x1 brick to secure them even better, but the problem is the whole thing together with the base plates, even applying glue to the bottom of the base plates don't work well, it just falls away easily because it's not very adhesive.

Edited by ks6349

Maybe one of those Dots Stitch-on Patches would help to secure the base to the dashboard. If you don't mind me asking, what type of vehicle, will this be in.

I used double sided foam tape to attach devices to my dash.  They stick really good, maybe a bit too good.  They left residue on the dash when I removed it.

If it's just a case of them sliding around, you might try using tires placed sideways, the same way you can see underneath the official Bonsai set.

If you need something more secure, instead of simply a baseplate, maybe have a small podium that's 5-6 plates thick? That would allow you hide some securing mechanism underneath.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:01 PM, ks6349 said:

melted or stolen Lego??????? I don't understand.

People will steal anything. I've heard of people breaking into cars to steal a handful of loose change. If the general public thinks it could be it valuable, kiss the figs goodbye. Again, people will steal anything to get what they want / make a quick buck... without thinking twice. And if they can't get the item off your car, they might steal your entire car.

Basically, not a good idea to do this, or with anything of any potential value.

Edited by Murdoch17
grammar edit

On 10/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, Murdoch17 said:

People will steal anything. I've heard of people breaking into cars to steal a handful of loose change. If the general public thinks it could be it valuable, kiss the figs goodbye. Again, people will steal anything to get what they want / make a quick buck... without thinking twice. And if they can't get the item off your car, they might steal your entire car.

Basically, not a good idea to do this, or with anything of any potential value.

Yep the best way to display Lego in your car is to not display it at all, the 2nd best way to display Lego would be in the trunk or glove box... out of sight :P

If you really want to have Lego on your car, just do a custom wrap.

Edited by LegendaryArticuno

On 10/22/2022 at 2:56 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Maybe one of those Dots Stitch-on Patches would help to secure the base to the dashboard. If you don't mind me asking, what type of vehicle, will this be in.

The dots plates with adhesive strips rather than the stitch-on version would be easier than trying to get a needle and thread through the dashboard !😁