0815Tanaka

[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive

Hello.

After collecting parts and making a copy of #7740, I wanted a red and black large locomotive like #7750.
However, the original set was very expensive for me as a student, I couldn't afford it.
So I decided to make a new MOC.

52441331348_b786d3e905_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

52441082109_c24bfc1f66_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

This steam locomotive was inspired by the legendary Train Idea Book #7777 and Deutsche Bahn's BR 23.

52440808041_fc276d66fd_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

I got these red train pieces to make this MOC.
As you know, the red train motor is the most expensive part.
The middle wheels are also expensive, so in order to reduce the cost, installed the motor on the front instead of on the tender.

52441079344_7128965a5c_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Luckily I was able to put weight inside the boiler (blue squares in the image) so it runs powerfully with good traction.

51342478841_5c593e6296_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Before I got the original 29mm wheels (4180c05) I used BBB middles instead.
In this previous version, the structure of the trailing wheel was bad and I decided to replace it to slow down on curves.

52441081709_8573cd3bed_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Inside the cab is very simple.

52440810951_5c1d05c91a_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

Gray era's bogie pin is 7mm and 2mm longer than the current one, so it enable to place a tile and fix it to the technic plate.
This allows you to put the motor on the leading wheel.

52440300947_155832ec15_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

The reason the second pin is behind the original is to avoid hitting the signal post on the switch track as shown in the image.

52441331493_3e984afa72_z.jpg[MOC] 12v Steam Locomotive by Kento Tanaka, on Flickr

The tender has round plate coal.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

Never liked the big train in book 7777. Just look odd to me, size doesn't feel right. Actually whole train.

Not that I don't like big trains, but why not the biggest you can build:

img_1149.jpg

12 hours ago, 0815Tanaka said:

This steam locomotive was inspired by the legendary Train Idea Book #7777 and Deutsche Bahn's BR 23.

Really nice in 12V!!! Wow.

But actually there is no need for the buffers between engine and tender (and as far as I know, these types of steam locomotives and for sure the 23 never had them) as the engine without tender and vice versa is a bit on the non-functional side :pir-laugh:. Yes they had that in the 7777 book, but why not taking out their errors :pir-skel:.

Other than that: Beautiful!

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Gorgeous 12v homage to 7777 and the DB Class 23. You covered some interesting concepts in the build. Thanks for sharing you 12v works.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, BillytheKid said:

Never liked the big train in book 7777. Just look odd to me, size doesn't feel right. Actually whole train.

Not that I don't like big trains, but why not the biggest you can build:

img_1149.jpg

@BillytheKid Amazing Big Boy build! However, there is no gap in the 12v switch track, so if make it too big, the trains will hit each other. So large scale trains are made with PF or PU.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:12 AM, JopieK said:

Very nice job @0815Tanaka. Looks great!

@BillytheKid, you might have a point, but for me it is mainly sentiment from my youth ;).

@JopieK Thank you! That's right. Too big a train doesn't match my 12v collection.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:27 AM, Toastie said:

Really nice in 12V!!! Wow.

But actually there is no need for the buffers between engine and tender (and as far as I know, these types of steam locomotives and for sure the 23 never had them) as the engine without tender and vice versa is a bit on the non-functional side :pir-laugh:. Yes they had that in the 7777 book, but why not taking out their errors :pir-skel:.

Other than that: Beautiful!

Best wishes,
Thorsten

@Toastie Thanks for your comment! Certainly, it is correct to connect them with drawbars. However, since I already have 4 red buffers, I followed the original instructions and did it this way :classic:

On 10/21/2022 at 8:55 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Gorgeous 12v homage to 7777 and the DB Class 23. You covered some interesting concepts in the build. Thanks for sharing you 12v works.

@feuerbergzi@sina.com I really appreciate your comment! One of my favorite 12v trains.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

OOOH, that "front-wheel drive" system is a really smart solution! :thumbup:

Perfect gray era "spirit" -  go on with your 12v builds!!! :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

On 11/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

OOOH, that "front-wheel drive" system is a really smart solution! :thumbup:

Perfect gray era "spirit" -  go on with your 12v builds!!! :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

@Paperinik77pk I really appreciate your comment! Your BR 50 is one of my favorite works :wub:

Edited by 0815Tanaka

On 11/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, 0815Tanaka said:

I really appreciate your comment!

Your BR 50 is one of my favorite works :wub:

Thanks, thanks, thanks! :blush:

Epic! Very similar to 7777- it looks like you used a similar design for the large articulated bogie in the back of the engine. Still getting parts to build the engine from 7777 myself - I suppose I have all of the rare parts but I'd have to steal most from my copy of 7750 and either 7730 or 7810 for the other 2 1x2x2 windows. Do you have plans to get the rare windows for your engine? Also, does it have (or you planning to add) lights? Looks like you could fit a prism in the tender and possibly a brick in for the boiler light. I think you would have to modify the construction of the front if you wanted to add a prism for the 2 small lights.

6 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

大作!7777 と非常によく似ています。エンジン後部の大型連接台車に同様の設計を使用したようです。自分で 7777 からエンジンを構築するための部品をまだ入手しています - レアな部品はすべて持っていると思いますが、7750 のコピーからほとんどを盗まなければならず、他の 2 つの 1x2x2 ウィンドウ用に 7730 または 7810 のいずれかを盗まなければなりません。エンジン用の珍しい窓を手に入れる予定はありますか? また、ライトはありますか(または追加する予定ですか)?テンダーにプリズムを取り付け、ボイラー ライトにレンガを取り付けることができるようです。2つの小さなライトにプリズムを追加したい場合は、フロントの構造を変更する必要があると思います.

@Reker1000000 I'm thinking of getting the original black windows someday. After all it is very expensive! Lights are also attractive :wub: But I don't think I will add it. Because I have to change to tender motor (It means buying an expensive middle wheels) and I have to break the shape of the front.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, LordsofMedieval said:

You're very gifted. I cannot even imagine having to work under these constraints.

@LordsofMedieval Thank you! Balance is difficult. Newer parts are also used, but if add too much detail, it's just a modern build.

On 11/16/2022 at 6:27 PM, Darkkostas25 said:

Great! You done a good job to make really good-looking 12V steamer 

@Darkkostas25 Thanks again :classic:

Love this - it’s like my dreams and ambitions from the 1980s realised! Such good work in sticking with that 12v aesthetic but producing something way in advance of those sets :) 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, PeteM said:

Love this - it’s like my dreams and ambitions from the 1980s realised! Such good work in sticking with that 12v aesthetic but producing something way in advance of those sets :) 

@PeteM Thanks :laugh: I wasn't even born in the 80's, but they are more attractive than PF and PU.

Edited by 0815Tanaka

2 hours ago, RoTrainLover said:

Parts list?

Allow me to rephrase that question:

"Sorry for bumping this thread - I just stumbled about it: @0815Tanaka: Is there any chance, you have [some sort of, for whatever source] a parts list for your very nice build? Thank you!"

That's what I wanted to say, just wanted to be edgy, you know, that type of edgy that every middle school student wants to be but ends up being an absolute cringe show. Sorry for sounding rude.

"Sorry for bumping this thread - I just stumbled about it: @0815Tanaka: :pir-tongue:

Wow, that is a nice build, and great idea for placing the motor!

I too wanted a nice steam locomotive with the black and red colour scheme, but A) too costly and B) too big for my layout.  So over time I designed and modified to taste this one.  And modified a couple of 2x2 light bricks with LEDs, for both the headlamp (warm white) and firebox (red).   I originally used a black 12v motor and wheels, but then I broke down and picked up a RED 12v one :cry_happy: and redid the wheel base on the tender to match).

2024-01-22-21.06.38.jpg?rlkey=pzd83us5ca

2024-01-22-21.06.47.jpg?rlkey=w45ns1om0u

Edited by GunnersGarrison

On 1/23/2024 at 3:42 AM, RoTrainLover said:

That's what I wanted to say, just wanted to be edgy, you know, that type of edgy that every middle school student wants to be but ends up being an absolute cringe show. Sorry for sounding rude.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:42 AM, RoTrainLover said:

@RoTrainLover @Toastie HAHA, It's OK :classic: I'll share the Studio file of this MOC. (https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dabqnzwdai4vnj7op3qw3/MOC-12v-Steam-Locomotive.io?rlkey=snhisdus7p9j4l23nleb02ep4&dl=0)

22 hours ago, GunnersGarrison said:

"Sorry for bumping this thread - I just stumbled about it: @0815Tanaka: :pir-tongue:

Wow, that is a nice build, and great idea for placing the motor!

I too wanted a nice steam loco with the black and red colour scheme, but A) too costly and B) too big for my layout.  So over time I built and modified to taste this one.  And modified the 2x2 light bricks with LEDs for both the headlamp and firebox (originally it had a black motor and wheel, but then I broke down and picked up a RED one :cry_happy: and redid the wheel base on the tender to match)

1411478407_MyOwnLEGOSteamLocoDesign(small).png.db5d9ae6841dc1482b9bfc33e3d7ed69.png

Wow... so new that I am limited to around 100k image, thus it is a very small... sorry for the squinting :P

@GunnersGarrison Looks good :thumbup: It's amazing how the firebox lights up. Steam using ice cream pieces is also good!

Thanks... BTW, I figured out how to share proper sized images and updated my post... Now I just have to figure out how to delete a file from my attachments :)

Ah... I see now why I can't seem to remove an "attachment"... it is the photo that is linked to your reply of my initial post, before I figured out how to properly post images :)