Aerolight

World's biggest Lego Rc monster truck video

Finally got around to filming.

This thing is absurd it gives some hobby grade Rc crawlers a bad name. 

52436035082_9f6c36ecdc_k.jpg20221017_203011 by michael waterfield, on Flickr

Minifigure is not quite to scale lol, you can also see the airlines for the locker

52437057398_aaf004a8d3_k.jpg20221017_202949 by michael waterfield, on Flickr

Body proportions aren't great but not terrible either not helped by the lack of conventional suspension and the hideous compressor

52436991740_947775a2e5_k.jpg20221017_202755 by michael waterfield, on Flickr

Here you can really get a sense of how much is going on, including the gears in the planetary hubs there are 86 gears in just the drive train.

Traxxas tires use a strange bead, I assume for drm, which made it hard to make rims for. My solution is not perfect but works for the slow speed. The rims neck down internally to ride the jockey wheels on the hubs, this acts like a wheel Bearing and allows for these huge tires without them wobbling all over the place. Traxxas summit tires are some of the largest rock crawling Rc tires you can get but this might change as more people get into 1/6 crawlers (this truck is 1/12 and still bigger than some 1/6 trucks)

If I use it more I will need to add some more metal bushings to the axle drop boxes, as I have already  had one instance of pieces melting then fusing together.

This still uses my home brew motors which have proven themselves to be reliable with only one failure on my direct drive buggy which has since gained a Cush drive to prevent it from happening again.

The Cv joints are holding up well with only surface level erosion but I do keep them well lubricated. Hopefully I won't have to machine metal ones.

Spinning all four wheels on tarmac is crazy for tires this big and gummy.

Idk what else to say, enjoy the video (walkthrough and action shots) 

Pity I don't have a zeroes to compare it to though

Edited by Aerolight
add more text

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

Does this really needs saprate topic?

I am with Jurss - sorry but "the world's biggest" is a moving target.. Has your model something interesting techniques included for it to work & to show us? (just as a discussion starter, as you just posted the video without making any efforts to give us some more description - and if you are not willing to do so, then better stay with YT as the platform where you want to publish, but then spare us here please).

So for my rude but honest opinion here..

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

6 minutes ago, Aerolight said:

But the video has all the information + pics you could want; text seemed unnecessary.

This is what I expected as reaction, this is a discussion forum - at least I am not interested to have to take a look at some video to get details.. As said, if you think those efforts are not needed here, please spare us and stay with just YT maybe?!

Edit: I would already be curious about the "world biggest"... https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/public_gallery.page?idUser=273818 (from Cameron Tait):

2181727.030FA50679C653F7.jpg

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Some people prefer videos but will add text.

You know of a bigger one cool; can you link a source? - Look I'm here for fun, Lego and nothing else can we stop with the non-Lego discourse it is against rules after all.

That truck is narrower has smaller tires and is yet tube motorized, still cool though 

Edited by Aerolight

@Aerolight : People are getting tired of clickbaiters who always have the biggest the greatest awesomeness in superlatives to offer. Don´t wast time and just skip them. As you said, we are here to have fun and believe it or not - I am reading your thread because I want to learn something from everybody. 

1 hour ago, Aerolight said:

Lego and nothing else can we stop with the non-Lego discourse it is against rules after all.

So you are supposed not only to be the GOAT on here, so you need to remind us what rules have to be respected?? Wow. Oh btw. - you have non-Lego wheels mounted on your truck (which make the truck "the biggest" indeed). No smileys.

I just wanted to show you my truck, and he suggested I should leave the forum because I did a video instead of text. Thats what I was referring too, I called it the biggest because I believed it to be an accurate description no other reason - I don't get money from YouTube I post because when I was younger I watched zerobricks for hours and wanted to be just like him; when he comments it means the world to me. I thought I was happy here commenting and posting, but you actually made me cry I don't care if its poor English or what but you two really hurt me I just wanted people to have the same fun I used to get from watching zerobricks. I think I will stick to YouTube now just like you said.

Hi Aerolight,

Thanks for showing us your model :thumbup:
It indeed has the wow factor, and it seems like it is robust enough to make those beefy tires spin in place. Nice video, too.

Now, let's address the issues:

2 hours ago, Aerolight said:

But the video has all the information + pics you could want; text seemed unnecessary

It is always better to take some time and create an informative post, meaning text+images+video.
Since this is Technic forum, users want to see mechanisms, solutions, ideas, and to have a way to understand your point of view through text.
Video is fine, but for a massive model like this, pictures and text are really important.

Creating a new topic:
Often, it is best to keep everything in one topic, especially if you only have a "teaser" topic with one post.
Creating a new topic for each phase pushes other topics on the second page.

Please take care about the picture's size. Max allowed size on the forum is 1024. Yours are twice the size. Please edit the topic and resize them.

2 hours ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

then better stay with YT as the platform where you want to publish, but then spare us here please

Let's try to not talk like this. I am sure you can find a better way to suggest a member how to improve their posting.

@Milan You are right - sorry for stepping over in tone / good behavior here. :pir-cry_sad: Will try to use my brain next time before hitting the submit button..

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking forward to it for a while!
I love the clever things you did to successfully transmit these levels of power without immediately destroying parts!

I like the interesting way you've found to use the planetary hubs AND keep the wheels from falling off! I've been building some larger models lately too and have generally stuck to the portal hubs because I could use an 8L axle with stop to hold the wheels in place. Good stuff.

3 hours ago, Aerolight said:

I just wanted to show you my truck, and he suggested I should leave the forum because I did a video instead of text. Thats what I was referring too, I called it the biggest because I believed it to be an accurate description no other reason - I don't get money from YouTube I post because when I was younger I watched zerobricks for hours and wanted to be just like him; when he comments it means the world to me. I thought I was happy here commenting and posting, but you actually made me cry I don't care if its poor English or what but you two really hurt me I just wanted people to have the same fun I used to get from watching zerobricks. I think I will stick to YouTube now just like you said.

Hey there @Aerolight try not to take things too hard.  This really is a great group but admittedly it is somewhat esoteric IMO.  Which IS FINE; I say that not as a complaint but as merely an observation. The audience here is not into wow or shock factors, are highly purist, and very specialized, talented builders.  As such, at times, the audience may come across as stuffy and perhaps not as light-hearted as you wanted.  But, on the plus side, on the whole, the group is very knowledgeable, technical, and experienced.  They, IMO, are some of the best builders in the world.  

However, if you are more into the hobby just to have a good time, enjoy levity, etc. then yes, perhaps your build is best to be posted somewhere else.  And that is just fine!  I know personally I don't take myself too seriously when I build, and therefore don't post anything on here unless it is more of a serious build.   For my light-hearted stuff, or perhaps not all that specialized, I may post on FB or something, but not here, which again, IMO, is just fine.  But that all varies, as you can see, with plenty positive comments above.  

Just a friendly reminder to know your audience.  FB, YT, and the like will certainly approach your build with much more levity - but will rarely if ever give constructive FB.  Destructive perhaps, but not constructive.  I think this forum (other EB forums are different) is more serious, great for technically complex builds where the focus is on building/learning as opposed to attention-seeking, which, once more, is FINE IMO.   One other observation I have noticed in the past few years (just my personal opinion) is that WIP topics get more attention than completed projects a lot of the time.  Which is GREAT I think.  But it is equally important for folks to understand that.  

Cheers and hope you can find a good outlet to post your creative builds.  

4 hours ago, Aerolight said:

Thank you for the nice words, it really made my day :wub:

I think you did an awesome job with the model and I see you put a lot of effort to explain about it's functionality in the YouTube video.

Regarding the forum content, I suggest you add a few photos of the model and a bit of description, since people here appreciate to see more details before checking the videos.

Love this :wub:

There's too much going on in the drivetrain for my admittedly limited brain to process but it all looks like fun - there's something childlike (NOT childish!) about the build that, to me at least, is just priceless. It's pure instinct and enjoyment :wub:

One question from the kingdom of silliness 'cause I can't figure it out for the life of me - how do the springs in the two axles from the two motors in the middle affect the drivetrain's efficiency?

Edited by suffocation
monsters cant spel

19 hours ago, Aerolight said:

But the video has all the information + pics you could want; text seemed unnecessary.

I'm more about the thing, that You already had topic about this

You just could add video there, and edit topic description , f.i. add to it " - video added".

There is some great engineering in here! I only just followed everything along...I think. Well done on a very interesting build to get the end product you wanted that also works really well! :thumbup:

Can I ask what do you mean when you write ‘home brew motors’?

Also loved the bit when you ‘remove’ the bodywork almost by just ripping it off:laugh: 

I love the result, you did a lot of work on this one !

But I'n not good at listening english, so I have questions on your video :

*did you said you were breaking linear actuator ? If so did you try to coupling several linear actuator for the direction ? Did you keep just one for aestethic reasons ?

*I like A LOT you did keep a complete driveline even with the constraints and not choose the easy way with one pf xl by wheel

*do you use a buwizz with two L pf motor for propulsion ?

*one stiff way to use these helical springs in a suspension is to use an horizontal 11x5 frame as lever, put an axle at one end fixed with a 1x2 beam with perpandicular hole at each side, then a gearing then the spring with pre-constraint by turning it to the max before, and you can adjust the gearing and pair several springs for the same lever

*with these big wheel and torque you have some stair-climbing potential, if you frame a video of it climbing (small ?) step it would be a big exclusivity in the lego world !

Keep posting there for a gook time please and indeed it's some zerobricks-like stuff !

On 10/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, Aerolight said:

I thought I was happy here commenting and posting, but you actually made me cry I don't care if its poor English or what but you two really hurt me I just wanted people to have the same fun I used to get from watching zerobricks. I think I will stick to YouTube now just like you said.

I truly understand your feelings. Exactly this is why I will never post anything Technic related I made in the Technic forum - these folks are too brilliant and too experienced - it is just way over my top, regardless of what I come up with. I won't cry through - I guess I am too old - I'd just let them rant and, well, do other things.

On 10/18/2022 at 6:22 PM, Zerobricks said:

Regarding the forum content, I suggest you add a few photos of the model and a bit of description, since people here appreciate to see more details before checking the videos.

And this is what I call a reasonable and actually educational advice. As we all want folks here on EB to learn, and excel. It may also be advisable to just sitting back a moment and take into consideration how many different worlds unite here. And then hit "Submit Reply". But what do I know. 

Just take @Zerobricks comment in - and the motivation in it. Your model and what you have accomplished is awesome. As far as I am concerned!

All the best,
Thorsten   

16 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Can I ask what do you mean when you write ‘home brew motors’?

I believe in one of his other topics he stated that they are PF M-motor shells with very high-powered dart gun upgrade motors inside.

@Aerolight, I believe you once said you were planning on making a video showing how to make these motors. Do you know if you'll be able to do that soon? I'm looking forward to it!

On 10/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, aFrInaTi0n said:

@Milan You are right - sorry for stepping over in tone / good behavior here. :pir-cry_sad: Will try to use my brain next time before hitting the submit button..

Maybe you could also apologise to OP. I find you first responses quite rude. The forum already got quite inactive. With reactions like yours you scare people of this forum.

30 minutes ago, Bluehose said:

I guess we will never see her again...

... oh that is (at least) likely ...

... and also what I was trying to say: In a scenario, where the number of newly enrolled students declines significantly (as is the case in the university I happen to work the case, as everywhere in Germany, particularly in the natural since curricula), it may not be advisable to do business as usual and just hammer the folks as "we" did for decades now, where "them failing" was not affecting "us", because there were simply enough of them ... OK, this behavior is by definition the worst, I can think of, but let us assume I was a bit alone with that opinion. When there are no students anymore, the existence of a teacher becomes superfluous. Some of my colleagues just don't get it - they define themselves and their role by their sheer greatness.

When the activity in a forum is (apparently) declining, then I'd suggest to simply be polite (liking the stuff or format of presentation or not), take a deep breath, and then express your opinion in a way that is taking into consideration, that for some "the world's biggest" may actually mean "in the world I live in, it is the biggest" - in parallel to some of the "world series'" that are only played out in the US :pir-laugh: - and then make suggestions how to "improve" or better "elevate" a post.

And all that is just my very own, self-centered opinion.

Best wishes,
Thorsten 

I enjoyed this, it was fun to see the amount of torque it has and the use of Traxxas Summit tires was well worth the watch! (Even though i cry at the thought of such a great RC sitting gathering dust, instead of being used...!)

You mention that the suspension position could be improved - if it weren't for Lego not being stiff enough, and requiring a large frame to achieve it. Did you actually try it though? Would be interesting to see what actually happens with it.

Nice MOC - i like the truck that inspired it too, even if not 100% operational yet. (Can't get both engines at the same rpm to shift smoothly together, iirc)