Sérgio

[MOC] Nature will find the way (Abandoned Locomotive)

Hi guys!

It's not a secret that I like trains :pir-tongue:, but probably most of you don't know that "Steam" is my least favorite thing related to trains, I'm more into 70's/80's European Electric stuff

However, I like abandoned stuff so this was more a decorative thing that I build to be part of my first Lego train module (MILS)

Lego bricks are glossy, so it was a huge challenge to choose colors and patterns that simulates rust.

The locomotive is a 1:45 scale replica of the 2-8-4 CP 180 series, the Portuguese railway company CP Comboios de Portugal has one model preserved and running on the seasonal "Historico do Douro"

Nature Will Find The Way

Nature Will Find The Way

Nature Will Find The Way

Masterful. You basically created the CP 180 locomotive, but did it in a way that gives it the abandoned appearance. I love how you covered up the drivers with flowers to hide the running gear. Having the boiler door open and plant life emerging from the cab really give it the proper feel. Even the creative mix (and lack of) rails leading to the mainline add to the scene. I've seen similar scenes across the continent (mostly in eastern Europe).

Beautiful.  I don’t know quite what it is, but something about your MOCs means that you never fail to amaze me with your designs and ideas.

Ha!  I'm with you on steam, Sergio.  But as usual you exercised your Sith Lord powers and created something magical.  Good job. 

BTW, my brother was just in Barcelona and rode the cable car in Montserrat, where they saw a viaduct that reminded me of the spectacular scenery I've seen your pictures.

A lovely build! With all the vines and rust it reminds me of those abandoned Siberian locomotives. Stunning work! :pir-thumb:

19 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Masterful. You basically created the CP 180 locomotive, but did it in a way that gives it the abandoned appearance. I love how you covered up the drivers with flowers to hide the running gear. Having the boiler door open and plant life emerging from the cab really give it the proper feel. Even the creative mix (and lack of) rails leading to the mainline add to the scene. I've seen similar scenes across the continent (mostly in eastern Europe).

Thank you! Since I didn't use train wheels or rods, I tried to use vegetation to hide the lack of train parts :P

This is based on a "hidden" train cemetery in the north of Portugal, it has 5 or 6 locomotives like this in a row
image.jpg?brand=JN&type=generate&guid=a6

17 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Beautiful *_* I love how you made a greenery on it

Thank you! I took some Linkedin Gardener courses :P 

15 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Beautiful.  I don’t know quite what it is, but something about your MOCs means that you never fail to amaze me with your designs and ideas.

Thank you! that cheered me up! 

14 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

Ha!  I'm with you on steam, Sergio.  But as usual you exercised your Sith Lord powers and created something magical.  Good job. 

BTW, my brother was just in Barcelona and rode the cable car in Montserrat, where they saw a viaduct that reminded me of the spectacular scenery I've seen your pictures.

the Dark side of the force is awake :P 

From Barcelona do Monserrate (I think you are talking about Lisbon) it's a little bit far, more than 1000Km :P In Monserrate you are able to see this, its actual an Aqueduct it transports and supplies water in Lisbon :)
Aqueduto das Águas Livres em Lisboa - 2022 | Dicas incríveis!

12 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

A lovely build! With all the vines and rust it reminds me of those abandoned Siberian locomotives. Stunning work! :pir-thumb:

I belive there is a lot of this kind of stuff around the world, here is another one that Inspired my building (It's in Portugal) 
882240?tp=UH&db=IMAGENS&type=JPG

9 hours ago, Naijel said:

Awesome work!

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Owwww this is really beautifull

Thank you so much!

40 minutes ago, Ts__ said:

Very nice diorama. You can really feel the passage of time.

Thomas

Thank you, it was Retrofitted by time :P

Edited by Sérgio

5 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I belive there is a lot of this kind of stuff around the world, here is another one that Inspired my building (It's in Portugal) 
882240?tp=UH&db=IMAGENS&type=JPG

Yep, you totally copied that... and did an amazing job realizing it in lego. Great work. You know, with just a small amount of extra work you could make a much younger twin and have an entrant in the OcTRAINber contest.

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Yep, you totally copied that... and did an amazing job realizing it in lego. Great work. You know, with just a small amount of extra work you could make a much younger twin and have an entrant in the OcTRAINber contest.

well, it wasn't the first time I tried to replicate this model, So instead of building a virtual non-rotten version...

Octrainber 2023 - Retrofitted by time

On 10/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, Sérgio said:

well, it wasn't the first time I tried to replicate this model, So instead of building a virtual non-rotten version...

Oh, even better... but I THINK they said that BOTH models had to be built or significantly rebuilt in the time window. Was I wrong about that or did they change their position? Otherwise, if I was right and it still stands, I bet with just a small amount of effort you could update your old "new" model with plenty of time.

@SérgioThe viaduct my brother saw was not the aquaduct in your picture, which is, of course, gorgeous.  It seems to be a bridge for people to walk on, and it has a big yellow banner/sign on it that says "Aeri de Montserrat."

If you PM me I can send you the brief movie my brother shot that shows it.

Beatiful and a bit sad.

The real locomotives in 1 of the photos. Do they have some sisters that are saved?

Well done. It's not easy to recreate plastic rust, but you did it. A touch of greenery is spot on, nature taking back it's habitat. In a way it's stunning to see a scene like that, however it"s not eco-friendly.