Spoiler

52421937588_be4dcc8ae4_z.jpg

52393866706_fae7640854_z.jpg

Captain Nordau, most feared blackflag captain of the Brick Seas, returns to terrorize the oceans!  Took him long enough.  He's got a slight upgrade from the rowboat though! :pir-huzzah2:

Whew - I definitely did not expect this to be such a lengthy project when I first started out, haha!  This was supposed to be a three week build (ikr, :grin: :laugh:) back when I started it at the beginning of 2020, hahaha - and then I had the crazy idea of trying to get it to BrickWorld 2020... and then covid happened and well, three years later, here we finally are!  And yes, I did make that ridiculous trip from South America to Chicago with this thing, hahaha!

Oh, and in the meantime, I got an amazing offer from the generous guys at Lightailing to review their lights and sound effect boards, so yeah, that's been awesome too!  Be sure to check out my full review/lighting guide on Innovalug's website!  But (spoiler alert! :laugh:) I do highly recommend their stuff if you're looking for high quality custom lights that are sturdy and reusable to boot! :pir-wink:

Alright, to the pics!  I know this is what y'all are here for, :pir-grin:

52394305485_68d7794824_z.jpg

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention - of course it has an interior!  (Yes I'm mad - did I already say that? :grin:)

Starting from the front and working our way around back - up in first deck's fore we've got the galley, with a hearty stew going and a shark (not in this picture) dangling from the upper gun-deck for up coming messes

PC137894.JPG

But it was to be pork chops today! :moar: Get back here!

PC137889.JPG

A swarthy pirate stows away the barrels of rum in the hold below,

PC137826.JPG

While a petty officer keeps an eye on his private stash...

PC137872.JPG

At the stern we have the powder room, with kegs upon kegs of ammunition stowed away for piratical very peaceful expeditions.  Not sure the midshipman ought to have a lantern in there... or about those stern cannons, but anyways!

PC137839.JPG

Moving to the upper deck, a swashbuckling pirate watches over the map,

PC158032.JPG

Not much to fear from these Imperialists though...

PC158015.JPG

Don't forget to make your bed (hammocks are too expensive :grin:)!

52393866441_4a34aa989d_z.jpg

Oh yes, this poor fellow stays busy - at least he's got good company!

PC157978.JPG

What's this?  Looks like someone may have escaped - well, it wasn't that Carno governor or his daughter anyways...

PC157991.JPG

Cabin boy by the apple barrel.  Mutineer's tip - either make the barrel too small or the apples too big, :pir-grin:

PC157970.JPG

Torch 'em!  Fire away, me hearties (this is actually the first deck, but oh well)!

PC137918.JPG

Here's the real stash - 

P9034195.JPG

Only the parrot and the quartermaster know these secrets...

PC157959.JPG

The cook taking a break after a long day of work,

PC158007.JPG

A couple of interior pics before moving above decks - 

P9034182.JPG

In these you can get a better look at the shark, haha.  There are also a fiddler, another pig, and a sheep if you want to try to find them!

P9034180.JPG

What lies ahead?  One never knows when you're roving on the endless seas.

P9034206.JPG

Where there are monkeys, there are...

52393867496_6d614b0de2_z.jpg

The governor's daughter,

52394168814_d256dd4b88_z.jpg

(Public relations with Carno isn't Captain Nordau's first priority...)

52393363847_d4c8c5f4e4_z.jpg

Midships is... rather large, considering that this is the deck of a vessel! :pir-oh3:

52393362717_bddffcd469_z.jpg

Meanwhile, high above...

P9034204.JPG

And reeeeaaally up high...

P9034239.JPG

And working our way toward the stern, where Captain Nordau scrutinizes everything himself, his trusty parrot by his side,

P9034215.JPG

A couple of mates chat together as they stare over the castle at the rolling waters far below,

P9034234.JPG

A closer look at that stern, what can I say (I love it! :grin:)

52394169139_a6f15c1173_z.jpg

And, cannons firing!  This looks... fun.

52394375498_6c1365d262_z.jpg

And that, mates, is the Buccaneer's Dread!  If I'm not mistaken, it be the largest physical ship in the Brick Seas yet - but I'd love for someone else to break that record before long! :pir-huzzah2:  Hope you all have enjoyed this brief tour, and don't mind Captain Nordau plundering and raiding all your goods from now on...

P8263710.JPG

Yo, ho, ho, a blackflagging life for me!

Phew!  That was a lot of pictures!  Hope y'all enjoyed them and didn't get tired there! :laugh:

A few stats:

117 studs at the waterline (3')

165 studs to point of bowsprit (4'3")

~58 studs crossbeam (1'7")

~170 studs tall (4'5")

40 flashing cannons (46 total)

36 crew (including skeletons, :pir-grin:)

72 gun galleon

~35 pounds

Sound effects & 85+ lights

Building time: 3 years

100+ hours of rigging

A couple of days in sail making and sewing

Brick numbers: I have no idea, :pir_laugh2:

Oh, and I almost forgot!  Yeah, there's a video of that too :pir-sweet:

A couple of behind the scenes and size comparison pics (I'm 5'10" for the record, haha)

Spoiler

P8263712.JPG

Taking pictures of a ship this big is... not easy!  

P8293783.JPG

What went into the set up:

1 coffee table

3 photography lamps

a 6'x9' white backdrop

4 4x4 blocks of wood

a box of Club crackers

a sheet of glass

a couple of notebooks

1 chair

1 step ladder

2 clamps 

1 copper pipe

2 dowels 

2 buckets 

1 tall table

1 large random jar

various assorted pieces of wood

a lot of time and effort :pir-laugh:

and probably something else I've forgotten, hahaha!

Real life size comparison, aka, the ship and its builder,

P8303897.JPG

And, a link to my inspiration pic!

Thanks for viewing, C&C welcome as always!  Cheers! :pir-sweet:

blogged.png

Edited by Marooned Marin
Blogged on Classic-Pirates

WOW!  This is quite an impressive vessel!

@Captain Braunsfeld I nominate this for the frontpage - but we need a rousing image because, while clean, the grey background images look a bit one-dimensional without any shadowing.

Something like this should grab attention:

On 10/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, Mister Phes said:

WOW!  This is quite an impressive vessel!

@Captain Braunsfeld I nominate this for the frontpage - but we need a rousing image because, while clean, the grey background images look a bit one-dimensional without any shadowing.

Something like this should grab attention:

@Mister Phes This is a sure contender for next week's slot on the frontpage.

@Garmadon  Excellent ship. And I am very (positively) surprised to see all of that beautiful interior. 

And thanks for the fine video!

And you have included at least two monkeys. That gives you some extra points ! :pir-huzzah2:

That's a beautiful galleon! :pir-love: The most impressive thing is to build the custom hull with the interior stable. There are many interesting details to see. I like the elaborate decorations on the ship's stern. The king probably sailed on this ship before the pirates boarded it.

6 hours ago, Garmadon said:

A closer look at that stern, what can I say (I love it! :grin:)

Absolutely stunning. My hat, if I ever had one to begin with, is firmly off to you. :pir-thumb:

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

:wub:  :wub_drool:  :wub:  (I am speechless)

Ditto. Incredible! :pir-love:

Whoa. *oh2* That is fantastic!! Incredible details and lighting. And gold. :grin:

I'm glad you gave all the dimensions, because while it's obviously big, I wouldn't have guessed that it's that big. It's huge!!

Finally finding some words...

I'm fascinated by your approach to the gold detailing on the hull. How did you come with the idea for that? It's an incredible effect.

Holy Hannah, that is a gorgeous ship MOC... and flying the right colours too!

Seeing this ship never gets old (thankfully--I've had to see it a lot :pir_tong2: )--it is really a masterpiece!  So big, but also so detailed and polished!  The gold was really a brilliant idea and brilliantly executed, if I may say so. :pir-wink:  There's lots of activity to enjoy on the decks too and all the lights are gorgeous.  And way to make it shine with a great edit!

One of the most brilliant and beautiful ship model i have ever seen. Truly amazing work, can't image the work you put in. 

:pir-love: Words cannot describe how magnificent this model is. Truly outstanding work on every little detail! :pir-thumb:

(I almost want to blog this:pir-grin:)

On 10/13/2022 at 9:24 PM, Jack Sassy said:

I almost want to blog this

Do it. 

Why is this build not frontpaged already?

This thing is glorious! Filled to the brim with details. It's often hard to pull off a black build but you've nailed it. And I love the added interiors, which always make a moc more polished. What I like most is the brick-built masts, I haven't seen those like that before!

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Do it. 

I would if not for the limited time I have. :pir-cry_sad:

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Why is this build not frontpaged already?

Ask rest of the staff, though it is rather busy with running the entire forum and blog. Either way, I have high respect for what they are accomplishing. :pir-thumb:

3 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Rest assured, it's added on my to-do list, and this will be blogged. :pir-huzzah2:

Good to know it is in good hands. :pir-thumb:

Splendid, just a stunning work! From a distance you can't even notice it is LEGO! What a great details. It must have costed you a fortune ;)