Doom2099

Return loops for Winter Tram?

I'm trying to think of interesting ways to incorporate the new Winter Main Street tram into a village, without using a standard Lego R40 circle or oval. I was hoping to find a reverse loop in R24 so I could run a long straight section and just have the tram loop back on either end. I'm new to third party track, but it looks like some sellers have a huge selection of new curve radii and switches. But I don't see a wye for R24 on TrixBrix. 

I was hoping someone here would have another idea for running the tram that's not just looping around the table, or know another company that might have some third party solutions? Thanks in advance of December everyone!

I don't think the trolley would be able to take R24, as the wheelbase is too long for it to turn without grinding / getting stuck. Also, a R24 wye doesn't exist yet anyway, @Doom2099.

If I may offer an alternative solution - although I know it might not technically be what you're looking for - but what about a figure-eight style layout, with a X crossover at the center? You can enlarge the loops as needed with straight track to make straightaway's and add buildings on either the inner or outer side of the loops.

Edited by Murdoch17

Someone also suggested adding a PU colour sensor and putting coloured tile between the rails so the tram can go back and forth on a single line.

Thanks Murdoch and Duq. Both the figure eight idea, and color sensor are worth looking into for sure! Any links I could look out for PU colour sensor that you might know of?

Any other ideas are also greatly appreciated.

either color sensor or if you are using 9v you can do some clever tricks with electronics:

this is how my layout works as i dont have space for a full loop of track.

54 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Here's what I did with PUP sensors on a trolley to do why's on either end of a straight track, very simple coding, you would need 1/2 of that to ping pong

https://brickshelf.com/gallery/zephyr1934/PCC/mvi_1164.mp4

pup_code.png

The full gallery is here (but is probably now down for moderation because I just uploaded the code)

What's with the hourglass? Would you mind explaining the sequence for dummies? 

it is so the train waits a bit at either end and that the train has enough time to move off the colored part of track before the color sensor is triggered agaon so that it doesnt get "stuck" (take this with a grain of salt as i now nothing about powered up programming)

22 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

What's with the hourglass? Would you mind explaining the sequence for dummies? 

18 hours ago, XG BC said:

it is so the train waits a bit at either end and that the train has enough time to move off the colored part of track before the color sensor is triggered agaon so that it doesnt get "stuck" (take this with a grain of salt as i now nothing about powered up programming)

Exactly. There are two delays. When the train gets to the end it looks weird if it immediately goes the other way, so I have it pause for 2 sec before moving again. Then, when the train starts moving it will either be over the original "stop signal" or possibly just past it. If the sensor turns on too soon it could see the original "stop signal" and never leave. You could use two different colors, e.g., red and green for the opposite ends of your layout to do away with the timer but then (1) your code doubles in length since you have to have "do something" -> "wait for red" -> "do something" -> "wait for green" and (2) you always have to start heading the same direction since it will always search for red then for green. My version could start either direction and work the same.

Oh, BTW, experiment with the colors, the sensor responds to different colors better than others, depending on the speed of your train and the processor you might need a longer strip of color to ensure the sensor always detects it, and obviously you want to avoid the background colors that the sensor will see between the ties.

Different colors would make it easier to figure which end of the line you have reached and which direction to go back.  You have to start the train between the two colors though.

21 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Then, when the train starts moving it will either be over the original "stop signal" or possibly just past it. If the sensor turns on too soon it could see the original "stop signal" and never leave. 

This is what I didn't get. Thank you! 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:07 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Here's what I did with PUP sensors on a trolley to do why's on either end of a straight track, very simple coding, you would need 1/2 of that to ping pong.

Which Sensor did you use, article number please