Sign in to follow this  
Supplement_Creatif

[ocTRAINber MOC] St. Boniface Golf Club Foot Bridge

Hello everybody,

I decided to try my hand at ocTRAINber this year. Let me start with a quick anecdote first.

A few winters ago I was cross country skiing on the Seine River in St. Boniface when I passed under a foot bridge at the St. Boniface golf course. I can't remember why I decided to stop under the bridge, must of been to warm up with a cup of tea or something, but I stopped and had a look under the bridge. I noticed that the bridge had some strange linkages under it and what appeared to be air tanks and such here and there. Puzzled by it, the answer finally hit me, holy smokes this used to be a flat car! I couldn't believe it and next time I went skiing with my cousin I had to show him what I found.

And here we come to my shock when I saw the theme for this year's ocTRAINber. I learned that this was somewhat of a practice not only relegated to this golf course's foot bridge. Other such uses of cars as bridges are a thing!

So here we go. I find myself on the other side of the Atlantic for a month, however with access to a Laptop, so a quick download of studio and we're off!

Now the first problem solved we get to the second problem. Besides from what I remember, I don't have any personal photos of the bridge, and all that I can find online are a few promo photos for wedding shoots, which unsurprisingly, has a focus on the bride and groom, and less about the underneath of the bridge. So from the one wedding promo photo reference photo I have, I cross referenced it to other flat car bridges and looked up older flat cars as well. Therefore this flatcar is not based on any one prototype, rather it is based on similar looking flatcars.

I was able to bang out this flat car in an afternoon as everything seemed to line up the way I wanted it to. In the next couple of days I plan on tackling the second part, the whole bridge part of the build, and ideally by next week I have two models which I can slowly pick away at and refine. 

Things I want to do are:

1-get some brake lines and linkages under the flatcar to flesh it out more. After all without those linkages I would of never known!

2-get the feel of how the bridge is currently used in a couple of seasons in one diorama

3-make the deadline :pir-oh3:

So without further anecdotes and to make a long story short, here's the first couple of renders:

cheers,

FLATCAR OCTRAINTOBERFLATCAR OCTRAINTOBER_2FLATCAR OCTRAINTOBER_3FLATCAR OCTRAINTOBER_4

Welcome to the contest. I think you'll score highly on the "change factor" with an entry like this, but even so you've knocked-out a very nice looking flat car which will only help to improve your chances of a good result.

Don't forget to add your WIP story to the BMR Flickr pages, as this is a Flickr based contest.

Edited by Hod Carrier

5 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Don't forget to add your WIP story to the BMR Flickr pages, as this is a Flickr based contest.

i was lazy this time and only did a small presentation and linked the details here.

Hello everybody,

Time for part two! But first!

On 10/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, Hod Carrier said:

Welcome to the contest. I think you'll score highly on the "change factor" with an entry like this, but even so you've knocked-out a very nice looking flat car which will only help to improve your chances of a good result.

Thanks for the welcome Hod Carrier and the kind words. I am sure you will score highly as well on the "change factor", I've been following you model since the start and it's fantastic!

Also thank you for reminding me of the platform of the contest. I was planning on taking a look at the BMR Flickr page and you friendly reminder definitely helped me out of procrastinating much longer.

Time for an update! My initial plan was to have the bridge and all its surroundings well underway by the end of today but yesterday I got quite frustrated with the railings and seeing as it was such a sunny day (I nice break from the liquid sunshine this part of the UK is getting) I had to go for a brisk walk. So the progress, although slower than I thought is still no too bad. The overall shape, and structure of the bridge is complete. Now the next step is to add the river under the bridge, and the two banks it connects. The skeleton holding the ramps and the bridge columns have been masked in the renders.

I have added a screenshot of some of the wedding promo photos *highly detailed engineering reference photos* to give an ideal of what this thing is supposed to look like. Just in case I need it: Disclaimer: ***these photos belong solely to Chris Jensen Photography and are not my own***. In the following days I will try to get some nice photos taken from the folks back home.

As always any and all feedback are more than welcome.

cheers,

WIP BRIDGE SPANWIP BRIDGE SPAN_3Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.50.41 PM

This is a great and quirky prototype, also well executed. The strangest bit is that the bridge apparently is a hot spot for wedding photos.

2 hours ago, Supplement_Creatif said:

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.50.41 PM

"Honey, remember how we got married on a bridge at the golf club? Turns out it was a train car."

Hello Everyone,

Thanks @zephyr1934 for the kind words. Also quite hilarious as well, who knew right! Funny enough, my brother and his wife, and my cousin and his wife!, had their wedding reception at this golf course... I'll have to ask them where they took their photos.

here's a quick little update. Been busy looking at museums for the last little while therefore didn't get as much work done as I expected but hey, still a couple weeks left... right?

I started work on the first river bank of the bridge. Hashed out a little scenery and took a render to see how it was shaping. So far I am quite happy with it. Just need to keep on trucking along now.

cheers,

WINTER WONDERLAND WIP

Hello Hello, 

Here we are, the 24th of October and I am calling it done!

I had a busy last week and over the weekend I was able to work through some solid hours and get it to a stage where I am happy to call it done. Just in time too before starting the move back across the Atlantic. So without further ado here we are, the St. Boniface Golf Course Bridge.

It's the middle of January and all the rivers in the Peg have frozen over. Serge has taken his shovel, sticks, pucks, and his skates down to the river. After clearing the ice, he skates around and works on his stick handling. Something has caught his eye and he stops for a little break.

FINAL

It's Susie the Squirrel who's come to say hello to Steve the Snowman that proudly stands about. It's not uncommon to catch a glimpse of deer or foxes wandering about the forests that snake around the rivers bends.

FINAL_2

A quick overall view of the winter scene before spring comes along and breathes new life to the area.

FINAL_3

Ah it's summer time and everybody is enjoying the warmth and sunshine. Bernard and Melissa, the newly married couple are taking photos before they let their hair down at the reception and tear up the dance floor after a lovely meal.

FINAL_7

But what's this?! the Fernando the Photographer does not look the least bit happy. Has he broken his camera?! Is the sun not right for the shot?! What is he trying to say?! Golf... Cart... a Golf Cart?!

FINAL_8

Oh no!!! Looks like Garry the Golfer didn't get the memo and has careened off the ramp of the East bank and is headed straight for the married couple. They haven't a clew that their special day is going to end badly. Hopefully the Garry the Golfer can stop his cart in time...

FINAL_6

A quick look at the summer fiasco.

FINAL_4

And the reason we're all here to begin with, the old flatcar. It's looking a little less shiny since the day it proudly rolled off in its bright red paint. But it's still carrying a wide array of freight from beautiful weeding vows, to the local golfers, and the heavy weight of winters cold coat of snow.

FINAL_9

And there it is! the final transformation of the flatcar as a local pedestrian bridge at the golf course.

FINAL_10

I hope you enjoyed the WIP of this build, the final two models, and the little narrative I weaved together for this build.

Cheers,

Edited by Supplement_Creatif
Character names were in need of alliterations

Cool presentation!

Beautiful transformation perfectly staged.

Thomas

When I got married, we had our reception at a local golf course. If my own experience is anything to go by, I would blame the photographer for putting the happy couple in harm's way on the bridge. Looks like the guy in the golf cart is doing an Alonso and should probably be moderating his speed a bit.

Spoiler

In our case, the "snapper" wanted to take some photos under a willow tree on the front of the 18th green. Play continued unabated and we got peppered with golf balls from some very disgruntled golfers.

Great way to present your build. You've really brought it to life in a very creative way.

Thanks everybody for the kind wishes and words. Much appreciated.

On 10/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, Hod Carrier said:

In our case, the "snapper" wanted to take some photos under a willow tree on the front of the 18th green. Play continued unabated and we got peppered with golf balls from some very disgruntled golfers.

Ouuufff that doesn't sound the least bit pleasant! Definitely a day you won't forget, hopefully the photographer either for next time they planned on doing a shoot!

cheers,

Thank you everybody for the kind wishes it is really appreciated!

More than ecstatic! Plus was looking at getting another set of R104 switches for the layout I am slowly (slower than snails building the pyramids) building.

cheers,