Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

[MOC] Islands, islands, islands! (7 islands for a classic pirate diorama, updated)

Hello everbody!

After having shared some alternative factions in the style of a classic pirate world (Explorer Fleet, Governor's Guard, Order of the Lily, Trade Guild), you might wonder 'And where are the pirates'? They are present everywhere on the small islands in our corner of the ocean. I'd like to share some simple island ideas with you here. I used mainly big pieces (which seem to be a little disfavoured in recent times) to show that even these pieces deserve a chance in the parts universe. :pir-sweet:

Thanks for stepping by and see you soon!

:pir-huzzah2:

Volcano Island

A hot and dangerous place that even the pirates don't like to visit that often. All plants have been dried out by the heat. Only a dragon would like it here.

52377200425_b33202ef72_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

Mountain Island

A nice yellow beach with a small mountain in the background. Rocky at its feet, more vegetation can be found on the higher levels. Here the pirates can find fresh water, too. And maybe a treasure as well?

52375830887_659fb45b0c_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

Cliff Gate

A rocky little island, dangerous to travel by. Legends tell there's a hidden cavern with a treasure in there. Many boats have sunk trying to find the secret entrance.

52377091639_c34c33f6a8_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

Mangrove Island

A mangrove "forest" surrounds this little island. The plants grow so fast that it's difficult to reach the inner island. Be careful while you try, otherwise the mangroves will catch you.

52377005208_5f48014398_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52377005113_a24efb4368_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

Big Beach Island

A bigger island with a lovely light yellow beach of fine sand! Also the place where the pirates love to meet: The rum bar has open all hours! The pirates also installed a small lookout post on the small hill of the island.

52399447528_f40ced8246_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52399380855_9482d48921_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52399447458_0af2939237_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52399380805_80dd37ba0d_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52398441092_4d9ab65580_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

52399380700_0a08e947c5_z.jpgClick image to enlarge.

Love the simplicity of these islands, remind me of backgrounds for older LEGO sets. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Hello again!

I guess it's better to update this topic instead of creating a new one. There are two more islands for our little corner of the ocean! Following are the pearl atoll and lagoon island, giving seven islands of different type in total now. :pir-sweet:

Pearl Atoll

The pearl atoll lies more in the outer ocean than the other islands of the group. You need several days to reach it. You will find a big pearl population here, famous for their golden pearls. But watch out, they're not easy to get, as there's a group of sharks patrolling around the island.

52462455352_8ce20139b5_z.jpg

52462963111_9afe3929dc_z.jpg

Lagoon Island

Shallow sands allow to enter the lagoon with a narrow boat when there is highwater. The lagoon is not permanently occupied. The pirates have built up some cabins with supplies of all kind that serve as shelter for shipwrecked sailors.

52462963956_e9335447c3_z.jpg

52462456192_939369f54b_z.jpg

52462963891_33e231208d_z.jpg

52462456097_8fe98e1500_z.jpg

52462963856_d0944ba4f3_z.jpg

On 10/7/2022 at 6:32 AM, Legostein said:

Volcano Island

A hot and dangerous place that even the pirates don't like to visit that often. All plants have been dried out by the heat. Only a dragon would like it here.

52377200425_b33202ef72_z.jpg

This Volcano Island is a lot spicier than the official LEGO set of the same name.

Is this the only photo?  Because it would be interesting to see this island with some terrified minifigs!

This diorama will surely look fabulous! Plain bricks give an abstract tone to the whole project but clearly and successfully convey what they represent (beaches, mangrove forests, high ground, lava, rocks etc). I also find there is nothing wrong with BURPS but if they are decorated here and there with some details (vegetations, slope bricks/tiles etc), then they really shine. Still, "bare" and as they are now and along the other pieces surrounding them, they capture that old school nostalgia that I sometimes regard as mandatory these troubled times. Keep up the great work! :pir-love::pir-stareyes:

Edited by blackdeathgr

On 11/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, blackdeathgr said:

This diorama will surely look fabulous! Plain bricks give an abstract tone to the whole project but clearly and successfully convey what they represent (beaches, mangrove forests, high ground, lava, rocks etc). I also find there is nothing wrong with BURPS but if they are decorated here and there with some details (vegetations, slope bricks/tiles etc), then they really shine. Still, "bare" and as they are now and along the other pieces surrounding them, they capture that old school nostalgia that I sometimes regard as mandatory these troubled times. Keep up the great work! 

Thank you for your praise! I will do my best expanding the series. :pir-classic:

On 10/30/2022 at 2:41 AM, Mister Phes said:

This Volcano Island is a lot spicier than the official LEGO set of the same name.

Is this the only photo?  Because it would be interesting to see this island with some terrified minifigs!

Hello again!

As requested there is an expansion for Volcano Island! :pir-thumb:

There was once a pirate ship that came too close to Volcano Island when suddenly and unexpectedly its volcano began to erupt. Since then the volcano is spitting fire, and the abandoned pirate ship also seems to burn forever. The crew managed to escape and made their way to lagoon island (see above) where they settled down and built shelters and store supplies for seamen who also have shipwrecked (by storm or volcano).

52491076114_6a41f0f291_b.jpg

52491265155_668269edd3_b.jpg

... making the best out of an unlucky situation. :pir-huzzah2:

2 hours ago, Legostein said:

...unlucky situation. :pir-huzzah2:

"Unlucky" is an understatement, lol — IT'S HEARTBREAKING! :pir-bawling: Great story & excellent display tho, m8, keep 'em coming! :pir-triumph:

Hadn't seen this when you first posted it @Legostein. So good! I love the light yellow / medium green island with big curved bricks. Great idea