Ts__

OcTRAINber 2022 BR05-003

*Looks at traditional steam locomotive.*

*Looks at the cowling job.*

giphy.webp

(This is not a comment on the model, which is excellent - just the creative leanings of the people who streamlined it IRL :P).

Sorry, how many versions...? I thought I counted three. :look:

The excellence just keeps on coming. These are all strong contenders. :thumbup:

Thank you, that motivates me very much

9 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I thought I counted three.

Ok, but I count more like two and a half ;-)
and the last half conversion is unfortunately only digital so far. But I have ordered the missing red wheels and after erhalt I want to convert the 003 also to the black / red color scheme.

And I'm happy that also a WIP model made it to the frontpage of Eurobricks, thanks!

Final sprint:

I have created a few more pictures of the technology used:

OcTRAINber 2022 Maintenance 1937

OcTRAINber 2022 Maintenance 1944

OcTRAINber 2022 Drive train

Also, the 1944 version is now "finished":

OcTRAINber 2022 BR05-003 1944

Yesterday and today I used for photo and video creation, have fun:

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Wow what a superb job! :wub_drool:
The technical solutions are superior to excellence and the complexity of the whole project with the three versions is impressive! *oh2*
Great job ...my preference however goes to the classic black locomotive with red wheels in sight! :pir-huzzah2:

Thx,

On 10/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

my preference however goes to the classic black locomotive with red wheels in sight!

Somehow I scored an own goal. I could have ordered the red wheels immediately at the start of the project in early September, then they would already be there and I could have done the 2nd conversion already. So I have to wait now just yet, will probably happen in December.
I was at the start of the project but also not sure that I get it done in time and that it is also what good.

Thomas

Not 2, but 3 iterations!

Absolutely incredible models and great reading about the history of the transitions. Every time I see a steam engine such as this it boggles my mind. That running gear is beautiful!

cheers,

You a train GOD! Gorgeous designs and shapes and great that you even made some instructions and tutorials for your models! 

On 10/31/2022 at 9:36 AM, Ts__ said:

Somehow I scored an own goal. I could have ordered the red wheels immediately at the start of the project in early September, then they would already be there and I could have done the 2nd conversion already. So I have to wait now just yet, will probably happen in December.
I was at the start of the project but also not sure that I get it done in time and that it is also what good.

Thomas

Ah, that’s really galling. But sometimes you just don’t know how things will go when you place these orders.

But it doesn’t take anything away from the stellar work you’ve put into all of these builds and designs. You’ve really achieved some fantastic results and have worked very hard to make not just two but three versions. 

Both models are stunning, but the way you managed to recreate the round nose of the red one leaves me wordless. *huh*

Excellent job, it perfectly gives the idea of all the aerodynamic efforts the German railways were constantly applying to make the locomotives more efficient. :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

17 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

it perfectly gives the idea of all the aerodynamic efforts the German railways were constantly applying to make the locomotives more efficient. :pir-love:

true. especially if you look at some of the pre ww2 era trains and racecars they dont look that old. for example the streamlined cars that raced on the avus hitting insane speeds for the time or the double decker passenger cars of the hamburg lübecker eisenbahn.  wild stuff.

Edited by XG BC

I say many thanks....

Both locomotives can be seen next weekend at the Bricking Bavaria 2022 in Fürth / Germany. If who is in the neighborhood ;-)

Thomas

Well, @Ts__, clearly you have shown your genius again.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Your steam locomotives are some of the best I’ve seen, and the streamlined BR05-003 is no different.  Brilliant work, and a very well deserved win.

Best,

Vilhelm22

As we say in the UK, I think you was robbed. Your standard of finish and presentation was waaaay better than mine and I had you down as the overall winner this year. No doubt your wonderful creations will be getting lots of admiring attention this weekend at Bricking Bavaria, which will be richly deserved.

Congratulations nonetheless for your win. 

I say thank you to all the well-wishers and the organizers from OcTRAINber.

On 11/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, Hod Carrier said:

I think you was robbed

No, I don't have that feeling. I am happy about winning the category and your building was the favorite for me. All good ;-)

On 11/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, Hod Carrier said:

No doubt your wonderful creations will be getting lots of admiring attention this weekend at Bricking Bavaria, which will be richly deserved.

Yes, it was a beautiful (but also exhausting) weekend. A small snapshot I have already done:

BR05-003 1937 auf Durchfahrt in Bhf Wörrstadt

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Thanks!

1950: The war is over (unfortunately not the one in Ukraine), traffic increased sharply in post-war Germany, the young Deutsche Bahn needs every available locomotive.

The BR05-003 was again slightly rebuilt. The large Wagner-type smoke deflectors were replaced by the smaller Witte-type ones and there were other minor modifications to the front. The chassis got the classic red color.

BR05 003 1950

I ordered the red wheels from BigBenWheels in the US last year in October, unfortunately the shipment never made it across the pond. Lost....
I was in good contact with Ben and in March he pushed for a subsequent shipment. This arrived this week and I was now able to do the 1950 conversion on the built model. Many thanks to Ben for his efforts and support!

BR05 003 1950

That I rebuild the finished locomotive was clear to me at the latest after the exhibition in Fürth at the Bricking Bavaria. I liked the black version with the huge Wagner wind deflectors, but on photos / videos it always comes across too dark and the locomotive was so no eye-catcher.
Furthermore, the war as a background for the black color was disturbing. I want to combine our Lego hobby with positive things and a classic German steam locomotive in black/red is MUCH more suitable. The main reason for the black 1944 variant were the available black wheels at me.....

BR05 003 1950

I hope that now also the BR05 003 from 1950 will be a nice eye-catcher at exhibitions. Today there are only pictures. I would like to create videos in operation at one of the next exhibitions.

BR05 003 1950

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

The change out to post-war red and black, along with the smaller smoke deflectors looks great. I've always liked the contrasting colors and smaller deflectors.

Wonderful work with all the details particularly on the boiler. The red undercarriage and wheels really sets it off.

Dave

Thank you both so much. I find the locomotive so also more pleasing and friendly ;-)

Currently I am still rebuilding 1-2 small details. The gap at the fireplace is wrong (I could not interpret the drawing correctly) and with the driving rod I am not yet satisfied....

My video compilation from the Bricking Bavaria 2022 in Fürth / Germany. There you can see among others both variants of the OcTRAINber of my BR05-003 from 1937 and 1944 in operation:

Thomas

Edited by Ts__