Ts__

OcTRAINber 2022 BR05-003

Hello together,

we have the beginning of October, so time for an new OcTRAINber ;-)

Whereby I will be honest: I started with this project already at the beginning of September (after the announcement of the topic for this OcTRAINber) and thus in the construction a month ahead. But I first wanted to get a feeling for whether I can even create such a project in the short time.

I therefore show here in the first days the construction progress of September and then approach after a few days the actual state on my desk.

OcTRAINber 2022 Idea

OcTRAINber 2022 Start

Ps: for the readers from a German forum: please do not spoil ;-)

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Oh hello. Looks like we've got some serious competition. :wink:

That looks like a very interesting concept. I'm assuming you're already a lot further along than your introduction suggests. 

On 10/5/2022 at 10:29 PM, Ts__ said:

Ps: for the readers from a German forum: please do not spoil ;-)

Thomas

dont worry i wont!

On 10/6/2022 at 12:49 AM, Hod Carrier said:

I'm assuming you're already a lot further along than your introduction suggests.  

Definitely. I will also come quite quickly here to the current status, but so 2-3 days this will take ;-)
The reason for this is that I was not sure for a long time whether I can build something useful in the short time. I'm not a person who likes to make big announcements and then it becomes nothing.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:20 PM, XG BC said:

dont worry i wont!

Thx Simon

But back to the construction of BR05-003:

After I had a "chassis" for the BR05-003 from 1944, I wanted to see how the BR05-003 from 1937 could look like....

First again a chassis design and side panel:

OcTRAINber 2022 Chassis 1937

I needed longer for the front. Round, angular, perfect for a Lego conversion....

OcTRAINber 2022 Front 1937

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

This is already looking like a very tasty build. I wasn't aware of any European "cab forward" locos before now.

I understand your dilemma about the wheel arrangement. It would look wrong in curves if the loco is pivoting on it's bogies rather than the drivers, but then you have problems with the lower body panels because it wouldn't permit adequate articulation. Do you spoil the lines of the loco by having part of the streamlining attached to the bogies so that they can articulate more freely or compromise on the way the loco moves by not having flanged drivers? I will be interested to see how you tackle this.

I thank you both ;-)

6 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I will be interested to see how you tackle this.

I decided to use the wheels without flange, because you can hardly see the wheels under the fairing and thus a closed body of the locomotive was more important to me. I think that looks better than when parts of the fairing create a large gap in the curve.

The next step was a test build of the entire locomotive:

OcTRAINber 2022 Test build

Now one tender was still missing:

OcTRAINber 2022 Tender

With the colorful locomotive and tender, I could then perform test runs. Especially the behavior in curves and switches can only be tested and not determined on the computer in Stud.io.

Have fun and see you next time.

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Earlier, you say, "first showable design of the front (there were more before but all ugly ;-) )"

And I say, "How could you tell?"  :iamded_lol:

Seriously:  very very nice build.  I'm impressed.  I'm a lousy seer, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the winner, at least if you bring the same quality to the 1944 version.  We have no reason to think otherwise.

That is a crazy prototype (firebox in the front and a coal burner) and several impossible build techniques. Even from here I can see you bending the laws of physics. Great work!

Thx at all...

21 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

And I say, "How could you tell?"

I agree, the prototype is also already ugly and I tried to recreate it ugly ;-)

21 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

I'm a lousy seer, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the winner, at least if you bring the same quality to the 1944 version.

Please don't put so much pressure on me ;-)
I do my best in the short time and then see what was feasible for me. Better always goes....

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Even from here I can see you bending the laws of physics

A friend once said to me: "Hello Thomas, are you bending bricks again?" ;-)

After just under a month, BR05-003 in 1937 condition was ready at the end of September:

OcTRAINber 2022 BR05-003 1937

Video at YouTube:

So it was time to continue building the 1944 version:

OcTRAINber 2022 Tender 1944

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

October has long begun, time is running....

OcTRAINber 2022 Boiler 1944

OcTRAINber 2022 Driving rod

With this, the backlog at Eurobricks is caught up, from now on I can tell the construction story here live ;-)

Currently I'm working on the details of the boiler (it's still so naked^^) and on the missing ladder between locomotive and tender.

At the same time, the procurement of the missing parts is in progress.

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Oh Mann, Thomas ...

this is so nice ... at first I simply did not get where this is headed ... I guess age is doing its work :pir-huzzah2:

Fantastic - simple as that. I really like the two versions of "one" locomotive. And truly literally lives the "Loco Motive" piece from Klaus Doldinger's Passport Ataraxia album ... It really is a crazy motive - an absolutely fantastic one!

All the very best,
Thorsten

On 10/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, Toastie said:

at first I simply did not get where this is headed ...

I am also still thinking: brilliant idea or topic missed by OcTRAINber. In my two versions of the same locomotive is hardly a stone in the same place, maybe the coupling on the tender is in the same place ;-)

Also, the 1937 version is rather ugly in the prototype, but since the BR05-003 (1954) was my first Lego steam locomotive, I now quite a lot connects with the ugly duck.

Thx Thosten and Ivan ;-)

It's mid-October, so it's time to get into the details:

OcTRAINber 2022 Cabin 1944

The first driving test has also happened today: drives, but is still in need of improvement in stability ;-)

It was already too dark for a driving video today, I'll try to improve the loco and create a small video in the next days.

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

I like the 1937 version more and you did a good job!

I wondered why they changed from the Cab on the front to some unpractical way to see the tracks like the most common steam locomotives.

I also love your commitment to all Octrainbers showing your trial and errors.

Edited by Sérgio

36 minutes ago, Sérgio said:

I wondered why they changed from the Cab on the front to some unpractical way to see the tracks

Wasn't it because seeing the tracks is one thing, but seeing what the "entire" machine does (exhaust "color", movement of this and that close to the boiler, a glance now and then onto the valve gear) with a somewhat obstructed look on the tracks is another?

But I only ride my bicycle, so others know much better.:pir_laugh2:

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

11 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I like the 1937 version more and you did a good job!

Thanks Sérgio!

I also like the 1937 version more now, but mainly because of the color. The completely black 1944 is still quite "boring"

11 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I also love your commitment to all Octrainbers showing your trial and errors.

For me, this is part of an OcTRAINber. Not only success stories, but also the way there ;-)

12 hours ago, Sérgio said:

I wondered why they changed from the Cab on the front to some unpractical way to see the tracks like the most common steam locomotives.

The 003 with cab forward was an experimental locomotive and a failure. It didn't really work with the coal dust. The conversion to a classic steam locomotive in 1944 was certainly also due to the war. Every steam locomotive was needed there....

But I'm not an expert either, I read here and there and guess a bit ;-)

Back to OcTRAINber WiP Story:

I put in another night work yesterday and finally had the right idea to build the cylinders stable. Interestingly, they don't even look different from the outside. What a difference a little thinking makes ;-)

OcTRAINber 2022 Cylinder and Piston

Then nothing more stood in the way of today's test drives and yes: the cylinders now hold: in about 1h driving (with breaks 2h) nothing fell off. Fits....

And also the traction was quite sufficient and not yet at the end. I just had not fetched more cars from the basement ;-)

I can now devote myself to further details quite calmly, the basics fit so far.

Enjoy

Thomas

I used today's morning and evening to design the last open points of the BR05-003. I have built digitally and real parallel, since the area of the chassis is also affected, also took place again about 1 hour test drive (with interruptions).
Today, I have added the chassis paneling of the tender, the design of the interior cabin Lokomotove / tender, the coal supply in the tender and the very front I have pulled the slope further down. With this, the BR05-003 in 1944 condition is "finished" in terms of design.

Still missing are the parts procurement in the right color (black ;-) ) and the lettering. Also, I think the locomotive is so gloomy, it needs lights ;-)

BR05-003 / 1944

BR05-003 / 1944

For the short time (I started at the end of September with the 1944 version) I find the design not bad. Of course there is always something to improve.

The 003 from 1944 is very dark in almost complete black. Is also not my desired color, but fits the time pressure and year 1944. I have black wheels and the year 1944 was gloomy....

To also have a bright spot:

BR05-003 / 1937 vs 1944

So the world looks more friendly ;-)

Today there were "only" render pictures, but I built the locomotives exactly the same way, only partly with wrong colors of the bricks. The next days I will get the missing bricks and take a break. I have earned it ;-)

And after that it goes to the final spurt in the OcTRAINber....

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

7 hours ago, Ts__ said:

I used today's morning and evening to design the last open points of the BR05-003. I have built digitally and real parallel, since the area of the chassis is also affected, also took place again about 1 hour test drive (with interruptions).
Today, I have added the chassis paneling of the tender, the design of the interior cabin Lokomotove / tender, the coal supply in the tender and the very front I have pulled the slope further down. With this, the BR05-003 in 1944 condition is "finished" in terms of design.

Still missing are the parts procurement in the right color (black ;-) ) and the lettering. Also, I think the locomotive is so gloomy, it needs lights ;-)

BR05-003 / 1944

BR05-003 / 1944

For the short time (I started at the end of September with the 1944 version) I find the design not bad. Of course there is always something to improve.

The 003 from 1944 is very dark in almost complete black. Is also not my desired color, but fits the time pressure and year 1944. I have black wheels and the year 1944 was gloomy....

To also have a bright spot:

BR05-003 / 1937 vs 1944

So the world looks more friendly ;-)

Today there were "only" render pictures, but I built the locomotives exactly the same way, only partly with wrong colors of the bricks. The next days I will get the missing bricks and take a break. I have earned it ;-)

And after that it goes to the final spurt in the OcTRAINber....

Thomas

It`s a masterpiece renders look great and I know real versions will be even better! Significant engines you made! 

Thx!

The short break in construction is over and was used for time with the family and to get parts.But now is time for OcTRAINber:

First, the tender was reworked again, I was bothered by the completely smooth tender side panel:

OcTRAINber 2022 Tender 1944 (II)

The second topic was the installation of lighting in the 1944 locomotive:

OcTRAINber 2022 Lights 1944

This almost completes the conversion to the 1944 version. Let's see what other little ideas I have in the next few days....

BR05-003 1944 (WIP)

Thomas

It's the attention to details that elevates your builds. You just never stop improving.

Fantastic progress and two fabulous builds to show at the end of it. I'm really enjoying seeing your progress.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:42 AM, Hod Carrier said:

You just never stop improving.

Thx. If it can be done better, it must be done better. Anyway, if you still have time in the OcTRAINber ;-)

Also thanks Simon.

October is coming to an end and with it, time is running out for the OcTRAINber...

Time to briefly tell the story behind BR05-003:

OcTRAINber 2022 BR05-003 History

And also to add the lighting/interior to the 003 from 1937:

OcTRAINber 2022 Lights 1937

Since the 1944 conversion is quite gloomy, I still have the 2nd conversion from 1950 designed in Stud.io. The conversion with Lego bricks will take place only when I also have the red BigBen XXL wheels (are ordered, but before the end of October it will be nothing more):

BR05-003 / 1950

Quick question: what details or building techniques would still be interesting for you, so that I should show it?

Thomas

Thanks for sharing the history on the BR 05-003. Your work on the three versions is exceptional. Best of luck this year.