woodford86

D&D x Ideas

Anything's possible but I doubt that, DnD's more about the characters, story and monsters than the location. So that makes me think whatever wins it should have some great fantasy characters included.

4 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

Anything's possible but I doubt that, DnD's more about the characters, story and monsters than the location. So that makes me think whatever wins it should have some great fantasy characters included.

Agreed, but we'll see. This is rather unexpected, yet a great opportunity. I remember building scenery as a teen from my LEGO and using minifigs are the player characters. I can see some serious Bionicle elements being used in the contest. Some of the best monsters in LEGO I've encountered are built from them. Sadly, I don't think the barbarian riding a dead deamon down a mountainside would make for a great set to sell, but it's one of the most memorable fights I've been a part of.

Oh wow! That’s exciting. I think anything is possible, and while I understand the notion that D&D is more character based, there are plenty of iconic locations that can be referenced. 

Just one of many lists I found when I went Googling:

https://www.cbr.com/coolest-locations-published-dnd-adventures/

What I think may be more likely would be generic dungeons that look/feel like Mines of Moria from LotR. 

I just had a brain wave, unfortunately I don't think it'll happen in the Ideas program but imagine a DnD CMF series? 20 different heroes and villains that you could use during actual gameplay. That would make Series 23 forgivable!

Edited by woodford86

I love this!  D&D has long been one of my top dream themes.  I hope it actually has minifigure scale characters and monsters and isn't just a statue or creature model.

19 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

imagine a DnD CMF series

I have done so, so very many times.  I've always wanted something akin to the city people packs but for D&D.

Dungeon Adventurer Pack - Dwarf Fighter (M), Human Rogue (F), Orc Barbarian (M), Human Paladin (F), Human Monk (M), Gnome Bard (F), Human Wizard (M), Gnome Cleric (F), Elf Druid (M), Elf Ranger (F), Orc Warlock (M), Drow Sorcerer (F), kobolds x3. Builds; Beholder, Tree, Tent & Campfire

I just read the fine print, we only have until November 16th to submit a design. Also this line: "Unlike typical LEGO Product Idea submissions, the Fan Vote phase for this promotion, which runs from November 28th 2022 to December 12th 2022, is intended to help the Judges gauge fan interest in specific designs, and validate fan excitement for the theme."

Could there be more in store?

I imagine the winner will be a brick built monster rather than a location. A Bowser style statue. 

It'd be interesting to see sets that can be used as modular campaign setups for games as well as customizable minifigs for both heroes and monsters. That's probably expecting too much lol. But licensed stuff would be killer for that.

As an avid player of D&D A brick built monster would not be what they are looking for. Think LOTR Attack on Weathertop or ATTACK OF THE WARGS as what WOTC and Other fans would probably want in a D&D set but i would Place the set in the Forgotten Realms, or greyhawk world such as city of Saltmarsh (Coastal Town). Iconic themes and people like "Drow Elves" - Drizzt is a super popular character. Popular Monsters, Mind Flayers, MIMICS, Gelatinous Cubes, Beholders and most iconic TIAMAT dragon. Using WATERDEEP or BALDURS GATE, or anywhere on the sword coast is gonna be Fire.

I don´t get why it has to be such a short time until you have to finish... If I had at least a month I could come up with a bunch of cool projects. That way I won´t participate.

6 hours ago, natesroom said:

As an avid player of D&D A brick built monster would not be what they are looking for. Think LOTR Attack on Weathertop or ATTACK OF THE WARGS as what WOTC and Other fans would probably want in a D&D set but i would Place the set in the Forgotten Realms, or greyhawk world such as city of Saltmarsh (Coastal Town). Iconic themes and people like "Drow Elves" - Drizzt is a super popular character. Popular Monsters, Mind Flayers, MIMICS, Gelatinous Cubes, Beholders and most iconic TIAMAT dragon. Using WATERDEEP or BALDURS GATE, or anywhere on the sword coast is gonna be Fire.

An Illithid would be easy if this piece existed in purple

18828pb02.png

Oh wow this should be interesting.  It will be fun to see what people come up with.  Don't know if I'll have enough time to get something proper done.  It would be nice to get Drizzt at least.  So many possibilities character wise with this.  I would like to see some dragons too.  Can't wait to see what people will build.  

I’m really nervous they’re not gonna get a lot of submissions. Apparently the fan media day also said they’re using this to assess interest in the theme (according to Jays Brick Blog), so I really hope it meets the threshold but 39 days is just no time at all for most people to get anything decent together.

I wouldn't underestimate the creators who participate in a lot of these ideas contests, there were some incredible builds whipped up in 2 weeks for the 90th anniversary contests. Also a lot of fan contests and events are a month long. 

8 hours ago, woodford86 said:

I’m really nervous they’re not gonna get a lot of submissions. Apparently the fan media day also said they’re using this to assess interest in the theme (according to Jays Brick Blog), so I really hope it meets the threshold but 39 days is just no time at all for most people to get anything decent together.

55 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

I wouldn't underestimate the creators who participate in a lot of these ideas contests, there were some incredible builds whipped up in 2 weeks for the 90th anniversary contests. Also a lot of fan contests and events are a month long. 

Perhaps but somehow something like a 3 month period feels more 'right' to me, I share the sentiment that a little over a month seems awefully short and will not give all folks who might be interested in participating a chance.

I plan on entering only problem is my personal experience with D&D involves a lot of homebrew ( that's half the fun to me, making my own monsters and campaigns to throw at my players, I do enjoy playing as well as DMing but my experience as a player has also involved a lot of homebrew.)

But I've got a few ideas, see what I can throw together in the time.

I hate to say ‘I told you so’ but I totally called LEGO doing D&D back in May right here on the EB boards!

I’m so excited to see what the fan submissions are like and whether it’s a single set or part of a D&D range developed in-house by LEGO.

As a long time player (although I paused it for the past couple of years), I'm very excited at the prospect of getting D&D sets. 
I even built an entry for the contest, it's my first time submitting something to Lego Ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing what will come out of the theme.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:49 PM, Agent Kallus said:

I plan on entering only problem is my personal experience with D&D involves a lot of homebrew ( that's half the fun to me, making my own monsters and campaigns to throw at my players, I do enjoy playing as well as DMing but my experience as a player has also involved a lot of homebrew.)

But I've got a few ideas, see what I can throw together in the time.

Well I did it, but had an awful lot of trouble submitting it. the images ended up kinda low quality and oddly cropped but I was pressed for times so I submitted it as it was, I will upload HD versions to flickr tomorrow or some time soon,

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/adbda7a2-193f-4ac2-ac5a-c50bae6b9f24/application/22282e5f-146a-41e4-8bd0-bbe75de48227

On 11/13/2022 at 7:58 PM, Agent Kallus said:

Well I did it, but had an awful lot of trouble submitting it. the images ended up kinda low quality and oddly cropped but I was pressed for times so I submitted it as it was, I will upload HD versions to flickr tomorrow or some time soon,

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/adbda7a2-193f-4ac2-ac5a-c50bae6b9f24/application/22282e5f-146a-41e4-8bd0-bbe75de48227

Your link isn’t working for me, but I did go look at the submissions so far, and I must say that I’m really happy with what I’m seeing. Some nice concepts and designs.