Mandalorianknight

40580 Buildable Tahu: Bionicle returns in 2023!

On 1/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Welp, I gotta get it off bricklink now. This is really disappointing to me. They finally make a great bionicle tribute set that people largely seem to like, and bam, you can only get it if you spend $100 on specific things. What really gets me is a G1 tribute is going to primarily attract adults... and the 7 themes chosen appeal almost solely to children. Note the lack of other unlicensed themes like icons.

Yeah, definitely a bad move on their part. I also get a sickening feeling that if the gwp doesn't sell out immediately, it'll be used as another excuse by some as to why Bionicle "doesn't deserve more attention" or "doesn't sell anymore".

Limiting this to certain themes is quite weird when you consider most of the new sets for Creator 3-in-1 and Classic release in March for 2023, so aren't even available yet.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Welp, I gotta get it off bricklink now. This is really disappointing to me. They finally make a great bionicle tribute set that people largely seem to like, and bam, you can only get it if you spend $100 on specific things. What really gets me is a G1 tribute is going to primarily attract adults... and the 7 themes chosen appeal almost solely to children. Note the lack of other unlicensed themes like icons.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of seeing the qualifying themes being described as "almost solely for children" as an adult fan of several of those themes. Ninjago in particular is probably the single most Bionicle-like current theme, with a lot of shared DNA in both its story (colorful elemental heroes fighting evil) and its set designs (with plenty of big Technic weapon parts and some of the best mech and creature builds available in Lego).

I'd think fans of Bionicle would be less dismissive of Lego's other original themes, especially after decades of being on the receiving end of that dismissiveness from older generations of AFOLs. But I ought to be more used to this community disappointing me by now.

4 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

To be honest, I'm getting tired of seeing the qualifying themes being described as "almost solely for children" as an adult fan of several of those themes. Ninjago in particular is probably the single most Bionicle-like current theme, with a lot of shared DNA in both its story (colorful elemental heroes fighting evil) and its set designs (with plenty of big Technic weapon parts and some of the best mech and creature builds available in Lego).

I'd think fans of Bionicle would be less dismissive of Lego's other original themes, especially after decades of being on the receiving end of that dismissiveness from older generations of AFOLs. But I ought to be more used to this community disappointing me by now.

Bionicle was almost solely for children. Doesn't mean it's wrong to like it as an adult, but it's true. No need to get all defensive.

My point is that G1 bionicle fans are adults now, and more likely to buy something like Optimus Prime, an Icons set, or some other set meant at least in part for adults than ninjago, city, or dots.

Frankly, a lot of the licensed themes which make up the majority of the excluded theme tend to be largely child-targeted themselves. Sure, themes like Disney, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Jurassic World, and Super Mario DO include adult-targeted exclusives, but those tend to be the exception, not the norm. Even themes like Ninjago and Friends include 10+/12+/14+ sets these days. Whereas City, in spite of its simplicity and lower target ages compared to some of those other themes, still commands a LOT of interest within the AFOL community — certainly more so than Bionicle itself tends to.

It's definitely a bummer that Technic and Icons are excluded, since those are both themes that a lot of old-school Bionicle fans have a peripheral interest in. But even so, these seven qualifying themes still give buyers a LOT of sets to choose from to meet this threshold, including plenty of buildable mechs and creatures which have a natural overlap with Bionicle. It shouldn't be hard at all to hit the purchase threshold with just one or two of the more advanced Ninjago, Monkie Kid, or Creator sets.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

It shouldn't be hard at all to hit the purchase threshold with just one or two of the more advanced Ninjago, Monkie Kid, or Creator sets.

True, if I really wanted this (I don't), I'd probably get another 3-in-1 Castle as at least around here, that never got any significant discounts outside of LEGO.com.

That said I've become a lot more selective toward GWP.

Edited by TeriXeri

I just built the set and I have to say I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Takua especially is very charming and I would love a whole army of brick-built matoran. I think a whole new Bionicle line in this style would do fairly well, and probably be much more sustainable for LEGO to produce as I understand CCBS became too expensive to justify making those sets. This style is also a lot simpler which I love since I think the 2015 line became too overly complex which only made the sets much more expensive than they should've been. With some new molded masks and weapons I would love for LEGO to try again with Bionicle in this form.