Mandalorianknight

40580 Buildable Tahu: Bionicle returns in 2023!

On 1/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Welp, I gotta get it off bricklink now. This is really disappointing to me. They finally make a great bionicle tribute set that people largely seem to like, and bam, you can only get it if you spend $100 on specific things. What really gets me is a G1 tribute is going to primarily attract adults... and the 7 themes chosen appeal almost solely to children. Note the lack of other unlicensed themes like icons.

Yeah, definitely a bad move on their part. I also get a sickening feeling that if the gwp doesn't sell out immediately, it'll be used as another excuse by some as to why Bionicle "doesn't deserve more attention" or "doesn't sell anymore".

Limiting this to certain themes is quite weird when you consider most of the new sets for Creator 3-in-1 and Classic release in March for 2023, so aren't even available yet.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Welp, I gotta get it off bricklink now. This is really disappointing to me. They finally make a great bionicle tribute set that people largely seem to like, and bam, you can only get it if you spend $100 on specific things. What really gets me is a G1 tribute is going to primarily attract adults... and the 7 themes chosen appeal almost solely to children. Note the lack of other unlicensed themes like icons.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of seeing the qualifying themes being described as "almost solely for children" as an adult fan of several of those themes. Ninjago in particular is probably the single most Bionicle-like current theme, with a lot of shared DNA in both its story (colorful elemental heroes fighting evil) and its set designs (with plenty of big Technic weapon parts and some of the best mech and creature builds available in Lego).

I'd think fans of Bionicle would be less dismissive of Lego's other original themes, especially after decades of being on the receiving end of that dismissiveness from older generations of AFOLs. But I ought to be more used to this community disappointing me by now.

4 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

To be honest, I'm getting tired of seeing the qualifying themes being described as "almost solely for children" as an adult fan of several of those themes. Ninjago in particular is probably the single most Bionicle-like current theme, with a lot of shared DNA in both its story (colorful elemental heroes fighting evil) and its set designs (with plenty of big Technic weapon parts and some of the best mech and creature builds available in Lego).

I'd think fans of Bionicle would be less dismissive of Lego's other original themes, especially after decades of being on the receiving end of that dismissiveness from older generations of AFOLs. But I ought to be more used to this community disappointing me by now.

Bionicle was almost solely for children. Doesn't mean it's wrong to like it as an adult, but it's true. No need to get all defensive.

My point is that G1 bionicle fans are adults now, and more likely to buy something like Optimus Prime, an Icons set, or some other set meant at least in part for adults than ninjago, city, or dots.

Frankly, a lot of the licensed themes which make up the majority of the excluded theme tend to be largely child-targeted themselves. Sure, themes like Disney, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Jurassic World, and Super Mario DO include adult-targeted exclusives, but those tend to be the exception, not the norm. Even themes like Ninjago and Friends include 10+/12+/14+ sets these days. Whereas City, in spite of its simplicity and lower target ages compared to some of those other themes, still commands a LOT of interest within the AFOL community — certainly more so than Bionicle itself tends to.

It's definitely a bummer that Technic and Icons are excluded, since those are both themes that a lot of old-school Bionicle fans have a peripheral interest in. But even so, these seven qualifying themes still give buyers a LOT of sets to choose from to meet this threshold, including plenty of buildable mechs and creatures which have a natural overlap with Bionicle. It shouldn't be hard at all to hit the purchase threshold with just one or two of the more advanced Ninjago, Monkie Kid, or Creator sets.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

It shouldn't be hard at all to hit the purchase threshold with just one or two of the more advanced Ninjago, Monkie Kid, or Creator sets.

True, if I really wanted this (I don't), I'd probably get another 3-in-1 Castle as at least around here, that never got any significant discounts outside of LEGO.com.

That said I've become a lot more selective toward GWP.

Edited by TeriXeri

I just built the set and I have to say I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Takua especially is very charming and I would love a whole army of brick-built matoran. I think a whole new Bionicle line in this style would do fairly well, and probably be much more sustainable for LEGO to produce as I understand CCBS became too expensive to justify making those sets. This style is also a lot simpler which I love since I think the 2015 line became too overly complex which only made the sets much more expensive than they should've been. With some new molded masks and weapons I would love for LEGO to try again with Bionicle in this form.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:05 PM, Lyichir said:

It's not because Bionicle fans are dismissive of other themes, the problem lies mostly in LEGO limiting the GWP to those themes only. They should have made it standard with all purchases, instead of limiting it to certain themes only. This way, the set could have been more easily accessible to everyone. 

Please do note that the vast majority of Bionicle fans today are generally interested in just original themes like Ninjago in terms of today's offerings, so the frustration is not directed at the themes themselves as much as LEGO limiting the GWP to those themes only. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:22 PM, Aanchir said:

It's definitely a bummer that Technic and Icons are excluded, since those are both themes that a lot of old-school Bionicle fans have a peripheral interest in.

Early Bionicle was mostly Technic, which makes this decision even weirder... Just look at the Rahi from 2001, or Cahdok and Gahdok, Takua and Pewku,...

Sure, later it became more like Hero Factory where it was mostly connecting sockets to ball-joints, but I always liked the technical parts of Bionicle the most.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:31 PM, EdWebhead said:

I just built the set and I have to say I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Takua especially is very charming and I would love a whole army of brick-built matoran. I think a whole new Bionicle line in this style would do fairly well, and probably be much more sustainable for LEGO to produce as I understand CCBS became too expensive to justify making those sets. This style is also a lot simpler which I love since I think the 2015 line became too overly complex which only made the sets much more expensive than they should've been. With some new molded masks and weapons I would love for LEGO to try again with Bionicle in this form.

I 100% agree with this! Especially considering LEGO values the promo set at $16.99, they very easily could sell a line of these for each of the original Toa. Include some new molds for system-compatable masks and maybe new weapon pieces and prints, maybe rework the torso slightly for small gear mechanisms and bump the price to $20, or eliminate the stands and sell the Matoran on their own and make the Toa $15 sets --there's a ton of potential here and LEGO wouldn't be taking a big risk, especially if they stick to a handful of $15-$20 sets to start and see how those do.

Edited by ToaDraco

6 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I 100% agree with this! Especially considering LEGO values the promo set at $16.99, they very easily could sell a line of these for each of the original Toa. Include some new molds for system-compatable masks and maybe new weapon pieces and prints, maybe rework the torso slightly for small gear mechanisms and bump the price to $20, or eliminate the stands and sell the Matoran on their own and make the Toa $15 sets --there's a ton of potential here and LEGO wouldn't be taking a big risk, especially if they stick to a handful of $15-$20 sets to start and see how those do.

If LEGO were to hypothetically try out a line of Brick-built Toa Mata sets, this is what they would ideally look like in my mind: 

Kopaka, Toa of Ice

Brick-built torsos, legs and arms, but still retaining the iconic masks and keeping the figures around the size of the original sets. While the GWP Tahu is good for what it is, I wouldn't want a whole line of System Bionicle to be just glorified Mixel builds. Rather, substantial builds that can pass as Action Figures and could be at the very least aesthetically comparable to the original sets. 

Edited by Lego David

I feel that MOCs like that Kopaka would be the best-case scenario, but they would be too expensive if LEGO were to try another round of Bionicle (which I doubt would happen). This GWP feels more than reasonable with LEGO's current approach to small, collectible sets. Honestly, something like the newer Ninjago mechs, the small ones with the fixed-joint limbs, would even be a good direction to take. They are similar to the original Bionicle sets from 2001, but the "new" mixel-style joints allow for more poseability, a more subsstantial size than the GWP Tahu, and a cheaper price, in my opinion. With the reboot in 2015, I felt that the sets were too expensive to reasonably collect all of them. I would want to see them all around $10-15 rather than $15-20 like the CCBS sets were.

1 hour ago, jacabias said:

I would want to see them all around $10-15 rather than $15-20 like the CCBS sets were

The problem is, 10$ system sets aren't going to give you much in terms of value. The Ninjago Mechs are nice for what they are, but honestly I wouldn't see their build as being a possible substitute to Bionicle. They are just... way too small, in my opinion, and the regular System parts in those sets don't offer much to those seeking to build Bionicle MOCs. 

Ideally, they would use a combination of system and some of the Technic parts that are still in production. Technic sets are still able to achieve large, imposing builds with a relatively low piece count, which I think would be the key to having Bionicle characters. 

Perhaps something in this style could also work? I don't think this would retail for more than 15$ at most if it were produced as a set. 

Standardized Revamp: Tahu Mata/STARs

Notice how the build achieves almost the same look and style of the original set, while it's build is composed primarily of Technic and a few CCBS pieces. It might require LEGO bringing back a few old molds (or creating new ones), but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as a what a 1:1 recreation would require. 

What I am saying is, make the sets as large as possible while using the least amount of pieces. Also, design them in a way that feels distinct from all the regular System Mechs that we get all the time in LEGO.

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

The problem is, 10$ system sets aren't going to give you much in terms of value. The Ninjago Mechs are nice for what they are, but honestly I wouldn't see their build as being a possible substitute to Bionicle. They are just... way too small, in my opinion, and the regular System parts in those sets don't offer much to those seeking to build Bionicle MOCs. 

What I am saying is, make the sets as large as possible while using the least amount of pieces. Also, design them in a way that feels distinct from all the regular System Mechs that we get all the time in LEGO.

I both agree and disagree with your points. There are numerous sets in other themes (City, Creator, Ninjago, for example) that give good value for only $10-15. You are right that system parts don't give many pieces for building "Bionicle" MOCs, but that is only true if you are insistent upon adhering to the old technic-style. From my perspective, what made Bionicle cool was not just the building system, but the narrative and concept behind it. That can be achieved regardless of the building system.

Also, there is a reason LEGO keeps making the "regular System Mechs that we get all the time in LEGO." Children, and parents, know what they're looking at and buy them. Why did the all of the other constraction sets fail to sell well enough for the building system to stick around? My guess (though this is conjecture) is that they were too different from "standard" sets.

Personally, I also think that size is not a necessary quality. It doesn't bother me that the GWP Tahu is smaller than the original, and it wouldn't bother me if other Bionicle sets, if they ever exist, were of a similar size to this GWP.

As someone who has enjoyed Bionicle as a fly on the wall, following the community for about 3 years and someone who owns most of the 2001 Toa and McToran and MOCs with CCBS: I really like the GWP and wish there were more character builds - not mechs - using this system. The face prints for Tahu and Takua are really good and I like the cartoon aesthetic that it gives the overall look of the build. I don't own a whole lot of Bionicle sets, but I consider this my favorite.

21 hours ago, Henry Bricklider said:

I...wish there were more character builds - not mechs - using this system.

This is really the point I was trying to make before. Clearly LEGO knows how to make mechs, and we get a lot of them. The small creature builds that accompany larger Ninjago sets and many of the Monkie Kid sets show that the traditional building system can be used for Bionicle-like builds.

I wish it had been possible to buy the GWP Bionicle set on its own. The set itself is really good, even if you removed the Bionicle title. I hope Lego eventually get enough faith in Bionicle to give it more in future.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:29 PM, Lego David said:

The Ninjago Mechs are nice for what they are, but honestly I wouldn't see their build as being a possible substitute to Bionicle. They are just... way too small, in my opinion, and the regular System parts in those sets don't offer much to those seeking to build Bionicle MOCs.

I don't really see many people considering the buildable figures, if they ever adapted a gearbox function for the upper segment, would arguably be the ideal way to do brick-built Toa. Personally I feel Lego has all the pieces for one big anniversary wave of Bionicle, if they desired to do so.

The Toa's story for the year would be that an ancient evil, Makuta, has returned. The Toa need to to awaken Mata Nui by collecting fragments of a 'golden disk'. If you collect all 6, could be combined into a disc displaying the elemental symbols of each Toa on one side with the Unity, Duty, Destiny symbol on the back. A nice collectable for an anniversary wave display:

• The six Toa would be represented as buildable figures, like the Spider-man figures. My guess being two waves of three buildable Toa in each wave. Each figure would have an estimated 250-400 pieces and include a fragment of the 'golden disk' as they could vary in size and pricing, similar to comparing Spider-man to Venom or Iron Man to allow each Toa to have a distinct look and feel.
  • Makuta, in a larger set taking inspiration from Monkie Kid such as Demon Bull King. Probably around 1000 pieces.
  • Mata Nui as the final set for the year, taking inspiration from Monkey King Ultra Mech. Probably around 1500-1800 pieces.

I don't think this idea would have much potential in terms of longevity, but for a 25th Anniversary Wave? Could see it happening.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:25 PM, Lira_Bricks said:

Early Bionicle was mostly Technic, which makes this decision even weirder... Just look at the Rahi from 2001, or Cahdok and Gahdok, Takua and Pewku,...

Yeah, and the Slizers / Throwbots, right before Bionicle, they came in canisters with giant letters saying Technic imprinted in the lids, and many of the parts were used for 10+ years afterwards.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Yeah, and the Slizers / Throwbots, right before Bionicle, they came in canisters with giant letters saying Technic imprinted in the lids, and many of the parts were used for 10+ years afterwards.

Yep, I had one Slizer-set :) With "Lava" written on its face.

I still hold the opinion that the technical part of Bionicle was way more fun than the build-able figurines part. But looking at all those Bionicle MOCs, I guess I am a minority in that aspect. Not that the technical aspects where that complex, but enough to spark my interest in other Technic sets.

Lets hope that they ever create a line in Technic again with technical beasts or something like that :D

21 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Yep, I had one Slizer-set :) With "Lava" written on its face.

I still hold the opinion that the technical part of Bionicle was way more fun than the build-able figurines part. But looking at all those Bionicle MOCs, I guess I am a minority in that aspect. Not that the technical aspects where that complex, but enough to spark my interest in other Technic sets.

Lets hope that they ever create a line in Technic again with technical beasts or something like that :D

I do certainly miss more fantastical or sci-fi functional Technic sets (like the Rahi from 2001 or arguably things like the Cyber-Slam/Competition theme). The shift to focus more on real vehicles seems to have been popular among dedicated Technic builders but is ultimately less interesting to me. I had hoped that the Bionicle reboot (which brought functionality back to the basic figures) could be popular enough to pave the way for more large creatures or vehicles like G1 Bionicle got, but sadly that didn't come to pass.

That said, it doesn't necessarily decrease my enjoyment of the character/story side of the theme, nor my appreciation for a small one-off tribute like this set.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:31 PM, EdWebhead said:

I used to follow the TTV Channel, and was instantly reminded of BioCraft.

There's definitely a strong audience for brick-built themes ie. Lego Minecraft or Mario (or MegaConstrux Pokemon).

But Exo-, uh, Ninjago is the current in-house creative project. I'm just glad to be in the generation that got to tag along for the Bionicle experience. The DC comics, games, forums, movies, all of it. Except G2. Hahahaha