Mandalorianknight

40580 Buildable Tahu: Bionicle returns in 2023!

21 hours ago, danth said:

This is what a brick-built Bionicle GWP set could look like:

webp

363 pieces according to the entry. Similar piece count to the Blacktron Cruiser. A brick-built mask would add some more pieces of course.

At least what we're actually getting is something close to this https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f52ec234-400c-4c99-b0f1-5d243b824f1a

webp

3 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

That would complete it, if that awful set also came with stickers lmao

Seriously, it's not that bad, people are being utterly ridiculous and yes it's going to be stickers because gwp sets don't get unique prints generally(unless they are planning to use them elsewhere). 

It's not the Bionicle that we remember, but I have to say, this is a pretty fun-looking set that really packs in a decent amount of content into such a small size. A nicely articulated-looking figure (to be honest I was almost worried they'd be using the new, less articulated mech limb system), a detailed smaller build, plus extra accessories in the form of the throwing disk and Makuta/Mata Nui stones. I'm sitting on $50 VIP points at the moment, so I'll probably use that to cut down on the minimum purchase. GWP's have been getting stuck behind some rough paywalls lately, but this one is somewhat manageable at least. 

Anyway, I'll review it when I get it. Excited to have an actual Bionicle set of some form to review in 2023. 

On 1/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, ToaDraco said:

Seriously, it's not that bad, people are being utterly ridiculous and yes it's going to be stickers because gwp sets don't get unique prints generally(unless they are planning to use them elsewhere). 

Considering that this set only appears to include two new decorated parts, I would not be at all surprised if LEGO opted for printed parts. The main advantage of sticker sheets is that they let LEGO decorate a LOT of parts for the cost of just one new element. The new Blacktron Cruiser, for example, has just two new elements (an updated Blacktron torso and a sticker sheet), whereas it'd need four times that many if all of the different stickered parts were printed instead.

But in a set with only one or two decorated parts, a sticker sheet would not really be much help because it would barely change the number of new elements required. A lot of sets also have more incentive to use stickers so that they can focus their budget for new printed elements on minifigure parts, which obviously isn't an issue in this case.

It looks great, I just really wish it wasn't a gwp so that as many Bionicle fans as possible could gwt their hands on it. As it is, I don't know if I'm going to have the extra $100 to spend on LEGO this month, let alone on non-licensed themes and I'm certain this set will be very expensive on the aftermarket...

On 1/5/2023 at 2:02 AM, danth said:

This is what a brick-built Bionicle GWP set could look like:

Spoiler

webp

363 pieces according to the entry. Similar piece count to the Blacktron Cruiser. A brick-built mask would add some more pieces of course.

37 minutes ago, admiral_typhoon said:

Seems like that idea was also pitched for Takanuva

Edited by Lira_Bricks
Quoted wrong comment

That Takanuva concept looks amazing! If the theme ever does come back (which I think is inevitable at this point) I would be very happy if it is in that style using system pieces. 

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Seems like that idea was also pitched for Takanuva

That looks pretty good. Honestly I think they could go even further with Technic and larger Ninjago/Monkie Kid parts to look even more Bionicle-y.

18 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

So stickers or prints for the masks?

I almost think they might be prints, if only because the graphics get so close to the edge of the piece.

7 minutes ago, danth said:

That looks pretty good. Honestly I think they could go even further with Technic and larger Ninjago/Monkie Kid parts to look even more Bionicle-y.

I almost think they might be prints, if only because the graphics get so close to the edge of the piece.

Yep, they're prints. Brickset and New Elementary both have reviews up now confirming it!

https://brickset.com/article/90039/review-40581-bionicle-tahu-and-takua
https://www.newelementary.com/2023/01/lego-review-40581-bionicle-tahu-and.html

That is good. Didn't make sense to only have 2 stickers in a GWP.

Now to track down the parts to make this as I have no sets over 100$ that I want.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Yep, they're prints. Brickset and New Elementary both have reviews up now confirming it!

Nice. Definitely makes this more of a respectful homage, IMO.

I'd still love to see a bigger, better brick-built Bionicle set (with brick built mask!) under the Icons theme.

I really like what we got but not gonna lie, the prototypes for what we might have gotten are intriguing and I probably would have preferred getting the full original Toa team as miniature builds like they showed. The designers probably shouldn't have shown us what could have been but I'm glad they did.

Also, according to people who LEGO sent the gwp to early for review , there were no theme restrictions mentioned so hopefully that's the case because that would be so much better.

Edited by ToaDraco

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

I really like what we got but not gonna lie, the prototypes for what we might have gotten are intriguing and I probably would have preferred getting the full original Toa team as miniature builds like they showed. The designers probably shouldn't have shown us what could have been but I'm glad they did.

Also, according to people who LEGO sent the gwp to early for review , there were no theme restrictions mentioned so hopefully that's the case because that would be so much better.

Hey at least we can build the miniature builds ourselves. Maybe even put the googly eyed heads on them

On 1/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, danth said:

Nice. Definitely makes this more of a respectful homage, IMO.

I'd still love to see a bigger, better brick-built Bionicle set (with brick built mask!) under the Icons theme.

UCS Tahu Mata when?

I think this is the perfect GWP, and wouldn't mind if this was exactly how G3 looked. Tahu manages to still look imposing and bad-ss at a smaller scale, and Takua is a perfect Mctoran figure articulation and look wise.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:30 PM, ToaDraco said:

I dunno. Those look a little too small to me, a bit goofy (Onua especially, something about him just looks weird.) Takanuva on the other hand... while I'm still glad we ended up with Tahu and Takua, that prototype is an absolute unit.

That is my hope as well. If it's true, I'm getting one with Optimus Prime to build, buying one off a friend's order to keep boxed, and probably bricklinking a third so I can have one on my desk and one in my home.

The Takanuva prototype is GORGEOUS, but yeah, I can understand why they'd opt against it—there's a lot of parts there including the "SCCBS" shells, candles, and bricks with ball joint/ball cup that would seriously limit the ability for folks to make other Toa builds inspired by it.

Personally, I am very excited about this set. I know that there are clearly many compromises, and this likely does not hint at another reboot for the series. I think it's smart that this set is brick-built, and in my view it wasn't necessarily the technic parts that made Bionicle what it was. Yes, it allowed for the gear functions, but Lego has demonstrated for years now (and in technic's original form), that studless parts are not necessary for set functionality. Though I did not buy any Bionicle sets after 2004, I do remember that eventually Bionicle sets themselves moved away from gear functions (except maybe for vehicle sets) and focused primarily on articulation anyway, similar to what we see with this set.

What I remember the most, besides collecting masks, is making my own characters from the Bionicle, Roborider, and Throwbot sets that I had. Seeing this GWP is making me want to buy other sets specifically to make Bionicle-themed MOCs. In recent years I have been buying sets for the set, not for building MOCs, and it's exciting to think about buying a set just for the parts.

I also feel like these builds are small and simple enough to spawn many other matoran and toa builds in the same style. I would also love to see, or try building, an Exo-Toa or Boxor for either of these models.

So Duckbricks received an update directly from LEGO regarding what purchases qualify to get the Bionicle gwp and unfortunately the original leak was correct. It is restricted to 7 non-licensed themes. I had originally planned for that and made 2 different order options just in case that changed but I definitely have a lot more licensed sets I would have rather selected. On the bright side, it might make it easier to get the gwp.

36 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

So Duckbricks received an update directly from LEGO regarding what purchases qualify to get the Bionicle gwp and unfortunately the original leak was correct. It is restricted to 7 non-licensed themes. I had originally planned for that and made 2 different order options just in case that changed but I definitely have a lot more licensed sets I would have rather selected. On the bright side, it might make it easier to get the gwp.

Theme restriction sucks, but luckily I planned for that as well.

Edited by Kalhiki

Welp, I gotta get it off bricklink now. This is really disappointing to me. They finally make a great bionicle tribute set that people largely seem to like, and bam, you can only get it if you spend $100 on specific things. What really gets me is a G1 tribute is going to primarily attract adults... and the 7 themes chosen appeal almost solely to children. Note the lack of other unlicensed themes like icons.