Sign in to follow this  
woodford86

Making custom sails?

So I bought Edge-of-Bricks' Cog on Rebrickable,and he includes a template for the sail. What are guys typically using to make custom sails?

I know there's OKBricks, but that's quite a bit more expensive than I'm looking for at this time (I plan to experiment with a few different graphics on the sail). Is there a kind of fabric paper that is inkjet friendly? Or some specific material people use for plain white sails? I'm hoping to buy on Amazon as theres no fabric stores in my town.

Edited by woodford86

5 hours ago, woodford86 said:

So I bought Edge-of-Bricks' Cog on Rebrickable,and he includes a template for the sail. What are guys typically using to make custom sails?

I know there's OKBricks, but that's quite a bit more expensive than I'm looking for at this time (I plan to experiment with a few different graphics on the sail). Is there a kind of fabric paper that is inkjet friendly? Or some specific material people use for plain white sails? I'm hoping to buy on Amazon as theres no fabric stores in my town.

I see what you're up to, m8 :pir-wink: I guess you can try to use an artist's canvas. It's relatively easy to find (should be available in hobby shops, if you have any nearby), not that costly & should be just fine for an inkjet also, I believe. That's, ofc, if you want that sail to be quite like those in LEGO sets.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, woodford86 said:

What are guys typically using to make custom sails?

I use cotton from old t-shirts or pillows, and immerse them into water+glue solution to make them stiff (most people from real shipbuilding world use this technique).

You could also visit tutorial section of the Pirates forum here , scroll down to the B. MOC Tutorials and see the sails section for ideas and secret knowledge. :pir-thumb:

I have had good experience using 110lb Mix Media paper cut with a Silhouette craft cutting machine.  The paper can be rolled to give a air filled look and the paper takes dry brushed weathering well.