800x600.jpeg

Description

After over a year of prototyping, building and rebuilding, I'm finally done and want to take this opportunity to present my "magnus opus" properly.

The idea for this project came when I finally got my hands on a copy of 5571 Black Cat/Giant Truck. This set came out when I was in high school and I always regretted it a bit that I didn't get it. However, when I finally did get it a few years ago, I realised that LEGO has come a long way in the intervening 25 years, and resolved to build one myself: inspired by the 5571, but pack with features enabled by modern LEGO pieces.

It took a while, but it's finally done. The model features:

• 6x4 drive to a fake 3-cylinder engine with idling function powered by a PF M-motor.
  • Solid axle suspension on all axles
  • Steering front axle with Ackermann geometry, connected to steering wheel in cab
  • Built-in pneumatic pump (powered by the same PF M-motor) with connection points for future trailer
  • Motorised fifth-wheel decoupling (powered by the same PF M-motor)
  • Cab interior
  • Openable doors and hood
  • Many details
  • HOG ready (requires two tiles to be removed from the sleeper roof)

Exterior

640x480.jpeg640x480.jpeg

640x480.jpeg640x480.jpeg

Interior and engine

640x480.jpeg640x480.jpeg

640x480.jpeg640x480.jpeg

Obligatory underbelly shot

640x480.jpeg

High-resolution and additional photo's can be found on my Bricksafe page.

I'm super proud of this model, so I hope you like it too :wink:

Some additional background information and progress photo's can be found in the WIP topic.

Wonderful truck because I love trucks! Especially long-nose ones! 5571 can by guessed easily)) And red frame came from 8285 tow truck I guess))

Could you pease fit another lights? e.g. double ones or something Madoca style ones, I just wonder how they will look like. If you don't mind :)

Edited by Aleh

Thanks @Aleh!  I had smaller, rectangular lights initially (see this WIP render), but in the end decided I liked the retro singles better. What do you mean with "Madoca style lights"? He built a lot of different headlights  :wink:

11 hours ago, lcvisser said:

Thanks @Aleh!  I had smaller, rectangular lights initially (see this WIP render), but in the end decided I liked the retro singles better. What do you mean with "Madoca style lights"? He built a lot of different headlights  :wink:

Oh, sorry. He really did many types of lights. Actually I mean such type, build from transparent plates 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMhpAANEqldqvJWoTcI6MhBgtDjyyOn7bvwF0sureHiLZJoYKEXcOv2T1hZgQ4toQ/photo/AF1QipNx0RYI47RhsKk2oRd3LBhuOK32ZJ-Hg9d8F1Vg?key=Z3R3ZkVVSUE1cDB4MG1FT2I1enc0N2ktbTJvTGpR

Edited by Aleh

I really really love this truck, I haven't seen to many that look this good, even the underside looks clean and well designed.

That front axle is something else too. I need to up my game and figure that thing out......

Edited by 2ndgen
Forgot some words.

Awww, I literally feel the pain that the frame is suffering from. It looks hardly bent under the cabin weight *oh2*
Have you considered sacrificing a bit of authenticity and making the frame ticker, to better handle the stress caused?

Besides that, the truck is really great!

11 hours ago, 2ndgen said:

I really really love this truck, I haven't seen to many that look this good, even the underside looks clean and well designed.

That front axle is something else too. I need to up my game and figure that thing out......

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I feared it was going unnoticed ;-)

I uploaded a stud.io file to Bricksafe. It's a bit messy, but the big parts - including the front and rear axles - are subassemblies, so hopefully that can help. Feel free to ask questions.

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

Awww, I literally feel the pain that the frame is suffering from. It looks hardly bent under the cabin weight *oh2*
Have you considered sacrificing a bit of authenticity and making the frame ticker, to better handle the stress caused?

Besides that, the truck is really great!

Thanks! You are right, it's a bit heavy, although it looks worse on the photo than in reality. I redesigned the frame a couple of times, and this was a compromise between realism and strength. A 18 stud long beam would have been very helpful ;-)  Too be honest though, the sleeper is way heavier than I anticipated due to all gears, switches and the battery box. "Next time" I'm going to leave some functionality out, hoping to making it a bit smaller. Live and learn.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, lcvisser said:

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I feared it was going unnoticed ;-)

I uploaded a stud.io file to Bricksafe. It's a bit messy, but the big parts - including the front and rear axles - are subassemblies, so hopefully that can help. Feel free to ask questions.

Got the file up, thanks so much. Wow this thing is detailed.

I don't really know how to use studio, but managed to figure it out enough to isolate the front section like you said. This should work perfectly, thanks again so much, I'll make sure you see your axle on this tow truck lol.