Sign in to follow this  
Samolot

[MOC] Kavz 3270 Regular Soviet transport workhorse

The bus was created on the basis of a light truck Gaz 53, for many years of production a dozen or so different variants differing in details were created. Mainly due to changing transport regulations and the need to adapt the construction to them. The vehicle was very simple and clumsy, in my opinion, its biggest drawback was the large overhang at the back, which meant that the last seats could fly out like from a catapult on larger holes.

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

In spite of the simplicity of the original design, I decided to equip my model with advanced electronics in the form of a new Mindstorms set. The mindstorms hub has six outputs, two I used to connect the XL control + to the drive, and the mindstorms motors were used to turn the wheels, change gears, open the door and rotate the drum with the names of the villages.

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

In the original bus, the doors were opened manually but with a lever accessible from the driver's seat. That's why I designed it so that it looks like the driver is opening the passenger door.
The gearbox is a modification of the layout known from Land Rover, therefore it has only one orange control ring.
The steering system is another variant of the virtual pivot solution, thanks to the mindstorms motor, it is very compact and thanks to the stabilizing rollers it is quite stiff.

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg 

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg 

The most difficult part during construction was the transition between the hood and the passenger compartment, keeping the proportions of the original and keeping the stiffness. It is impossible to fit there, these wheel arches from Volvo are much too long.
By stuffing all the mechanisms in the chassis and under the ceiling, I was able to keep the interior clean and true to the original.
Under the hood is a fork-eight powered by a chain.

My observations after building this bus are that the mindstorms engines and controls are a bit of a shortcut. Instead of constructing a stepper motor or some reduction mechanism or even a clutch, it is enough to program the sequence of movements, the angle of rotation and the speed. So mechanically, you do not have to strain, in addition, these motors can be very easily used as structural elements. From the designer's point of view, they are a great help, but less and less fun.

model length 60 cm
height 24 cm
width 23 cm
weight 3 kg

Enjoy watching and waiting for your feedback.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/samolot/kavz685

Edited by Samolot

It's been completed :wink:
Love the old classic Russian design, and the model captures that perfectly.
Frontpaged!

Nice build. I like that separate chassis and other part. 

Original was and is still real shit.

Very original, detailed nd of course recognizable model! The case when the MOC costs much more than the real bus))
I remember that busket of nuts from my childhood)

Edited by Aleh

Really cool model, although I never knew the original one, it's lego rendition is really nice with smooth bodywork. I also like the use of the Mindstorms elements, it really shows how much potential those parts have, the hub, the motors and the whole programmability! Great technical solutions, I like the virtual pivot steering and the fact that it actually works smoothly with a 4-speed gearbox :)

14 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I never knew the original one

I assume they were mostly used in Belarus, Russia or Ukraine in the 90'-2005

On 10/3/2022 at 1:55 AM, Aleh said:

The case when the MOC costs much more than the real bus))

Thanks for a good laugh 😂 splendid model!

Amazing work on the old school look. I think those wheels work perfect for it.