Darkkostas25

[MOC] PRR GG1 and PRR R1

It all started as a challenge to make PRR GG1. One of my favourite engines from PRR(and they got lots of Beautes) 
While making GG1 and making some modules and references I choose to make an R1 too coz it's similar by design (maybe P5a...)
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=366514

PRR Class GG1

6q0p67X.png

ihJrPab.png

Update:
-New colour schema (main black and yellow for lines) 
-New narrower front part
-some changes in the base
-if bricklink disables the download link try to do the instruction and post on Rebricble (or other variants if will be on replies) 

PRR_GG1_1_2.png
PRR_GG1_1.png?width=1202&height=676
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=427159

Original:

Locomotive Icons: Incomparable 'Pennsy Class' 'GG-1'

PRR Class DD2

prr_gg1_R1DD1R8a_Copy_3.png

prr_gg1_R1DD1R8a_Copy_2.png
Update:

PRR_DD1_2.png?width=1202&height=676
PRR_DD1.png?width=1202&height=676
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=427163

Original:

PRR 5800 at Baltimore Penn Station April 1957. This is a DD2, not a GG1! |  Model trains, Model railroad, New york central railroad

PRR Class P5a

prr_gg1_R1DD1R8a_Copy_5.png

prr_gg1_R1DD1R8a_Copy_4.png

Update:
PRR_R8a_2.png?width=1202&height=676
PRR_R8a.png?width=1202&height=676
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=427162

Original:

File:PRR P5a mod.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

PRR Class R1

ioMwrDh.png

NkRnbyn.png
Update:
PRR_R1_2.png?width=1202&height=676
PRR_R1.png?width=1202&height=676
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=427161

Original:

The PRR was the biggest railroad never to have a 4 8 4 steam locomotive,  although it did have one example of the el… | Railroad pictures, Model  railroad, Locomotive

========================================

prr_gg1_R1DD1R8a_Copy.png

prr_gg1__6.png

Edited by Darkkostas25
Add new versions and links but may be not final or last edit (sorry)

These both look very nice and very sleek! I also don't think I've ever seen anyone do an R1 before, so kudos to you on being the first! It's kind of disappointing the real R1 (or another single prototype, the DD2) didn't survive long enough to be preserved. Speaking of the DD2, while don't you try that as well? Along with the P5a, this would be all of the PRR steeple cabs.

Side note: The original boxcab-type P5 has a sole survivor (4700) which at my local RR museum along with GG1 4918. (Neither are in too great a shape, sadly!)

Edited by Murdoch17

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

These both look very nice and very sleek! I also don't think I've ever seen anyone do an R1 before, so kudos to you on being the first! It's kind of disappointing the real R1 (or another single prototype, the DD2) didn't survive long enough to be preserved. Speaking of the DD2, while don't you try that as well? Along with the P5a, this would be all of the PRR steeple cabs.

Side note: The original boxcab-type P5 has a sole survivor (4700) which at my local RR museum along with GG1 4918. (Neither are in too great a shape, sadly!)

good idea with DD2 when get some time I'll try to make it

looks nice! always interesting to see an electric us american locomotive.

17 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

add them. Now we got pics of all of them. GG1, DD2, p5a, r1

3 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

add them. Now we got pics of all of them. GG1, DD2, p5a, r1

Wow, that was quick! Great work on them all, though you might want to rename the topic, as it doesn't quite fit anymore, @Darkkostas25!

@JopieK I think this would look awesome as the front-page, if I may be so bold to say so. :grin: The second to last pic screams for it to be seen by everyone!

Edited by Murdoch17

Excellent collection of GG1 versions. Thank you for showing the R1 as well. I wasn't even aware of it's existence until now.

Great locomotive and really smooooooth design! I love the GG1 and this is a very nice MOC!!!:thumbup::wub_drool:

It makes me wanting to create a "retro" style version!!! :pir-love:

On 10/3/2022 at 11:31 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

Great locomotive and really smooooooth design! I love the GG1 and this is a very nice MOC!!!:thumbup::wub_drool:

It makes me wanting to create a "retro" style version!!! :pir-love:

do it! :D if you got parts and time 

My advice: use the downslope technique on all of them. It matters less if that slope isn't quite "right" for the GG1 and P5a, and more that it's simply smooth. These engines were known for their curves - the staggering is just distracting. But the eye takes a lot longer to catch the fact that smooth line isn't quite the right smooth line.

Edited by LordsofMedieval

8 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

My advice: use the downslope technique on all of them. It matters less if that slope isn't quite "right" for the GG1 and P5a, and more that it's simply smooth. These engines were known for their curves - the staggering is just distracting. But the eye takes a lot longer to catch the fact that smooth line isn't quite the right smooth line.

I have no idea how to make smooth lines without obvious gaps. I don`t like unnecessary gaps and holes and it`s hard to make a proper angle but may try in future 
Thanks for reply