WhiteFang

5618 Troll Warrior Review

indexed.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members,

I will be doing the second wave of the 2008 Impulse set series, which had released recently. I bought this set earlier ago, and will like to share this comprehensive review with everyone of you.

Name: Troll Warrior

Theme: LEGO System / Castle

Year: 2008

Pieces: 19

Minifigs: 1

An image of a 5618, Troll Warrior

1.jpg

Let the march begin

2.jpg

The mighty brave troll warrior, carrying a dangerous cart equipped with a "flick" fire missile. Marching into the lands of the Crown Kingdom. Crown Knights must be ready for this new troll addition.

From what I see, this set has a very minimum piece count since it's an impulse set. There is no unique parts found in this set. However, this set has a couple of useful accessories, such as 2 spears and 2 wooden wheels and a grey mouse running around. This set is another alternative for Castle Army builders to buy multiple sets, to build a massive Troll armies. :sweet:

In addition, the flick missile really works. Use a little bit of force from your finger and flick it, the missile will fly. Well, it certainly does not impress me at all with such playing feature. :thumbdown:

Base of the cart

4.jpg

Different angles

5.jpg

6.jpg

There is one thing I dislike about this set. The wooden wheels are too big, and it is the same as the ones in the Crossbow attack. I prefer the smaller wheels that exist in old castle sets that produced smaller cart. Since this cart size is similar to the old cart size.

9.jpg

The old wizard's cart is a very good example of the proposed wheel. :blush:

Bits and Pieces

3.jpg

Close-up on the warrior and the mouse

7.jpg

Summary review

Playability: 5.5/10 (The playability feature is not fanastic.)

Design: 6.5/10 (Design is adequate. If the wheels is much smaller and the flicking thing disappear, the score will be much higher)

Price: 8/10 (An inexpensive set to get a troll warrior and a mouse.)

Overall: 6/10 (To conclude, this set is good only for army builders. A new range of millitary vehicle to be added. That's all)

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Edited by KimT

Thanks for the review. Bearing in mind that the whole point of this set is to get a cheap troll warrior, I actually quite like it. The cart isn't brilliant, but for 13 pieces it's not that bad. The troll fig is great as always, and I guess the rats are always nice to get (not so much in real life though).

The sets that contain the trolls have a fairly solid number each (I mean, Tower Raid has three!), but nevertheless I think I may have to pick up a few of these.

In addition, the flick missile really works. Use a little bit of force from your finger and flick it, the missile will fly. Well, it certainly does not impress me at all with such playing feature. :thumbdown:

The troll's hands are going to get quite sore then aren't they? :laugh:

It's all good...

BUT!(I know, you expected a but :tongue: )

It's a rat. :sweet:

:wink:

Or maybe a very large mouse :tongue:

:skull:

Its a good review but you forgot another thing.

THE Troll needs a shiled like they used to in the 2007 castle line the sets always had shields for the minifigs

and it could be better if it was 3.00 instead of 3.50 but yes it is a good impulse great army builder. :sceptic:

:yoda:

A more affordable troll warrior for those of us avoiding the large sets (me) is always nice! Thanks for the review!

God Bless,

Nathan

Guys, thanks for your kind comments. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed viewing this review. :sweet:

It's a rat. :sweet:

I thought by calling it as a "Mouse", it will be a little much friendly unlike calling it a rat. :tongue:

Thanks for the review. Bearing in mind that the whole point of this set is to get a cheap troll warrior, I actually quite like it. The cart isn't brilliant, but for 13 pieces it's not that bad. The troll fig is great as always, and I guess the rats are always nice to get (not so much in real life though).

The sets that contain the trolls have a fairly solid number each (I mean, Tower Raid has three!), but nevertheless I think I may have to pick up a few of these.

A more affordable troll warrior for those of us avoiding the large sets (me) is always nice! Thanks for the review!

I must agreed with the both of you, that this is a much easier way to acquire these troll warriors at a much affordable price. I am glad these trolls are available in Impulse sets. Now, will there will be a dwarf impulse set in the future? I supposed that will be much interesting. :blush:

Its a good review but you forgot another thing.

THE Troll needs a shiled like they used to in the 2007 castle line the sets always had shields for the minifigs

and it could be better if it was 3.00 instead of 3.50 but yes it is a good impulse great army builder. :sceptic:

If this impulse set includes a troll shield, my rating will defintely go higher. This is a troll army builder set, with minimum feature and limited weapons range. If the troll comes with an armor or a shield, I will think this set is worth it. Troll armor is hard to get by, as it appeared only in Troll Warship and Tower Raid. :sadnew:

Edited by WhiteFang

Grrr... you beat me to it! :angry:

:tongue:

I got two of these in the mail today and was so eager to do a review of it. Thanks for saving me the work. :tongue:

Edited by Wilhelm screamer

Ah, sweet! Thanks for the review, WhiteFang! I hope this set shows up in NZ soon, I can't wait to get my hands on it! Troll Warrior ON! :laugh:

~Peace

Hey, your review is great (as usual!!) :thumbup:

As for the set itself - well, it's an impulse set after all - small and cheap, nothing special.

Well, the rat is special, hehe, for me the rat is the most interesting in the set (cause I don't have a rat). I don't have a troll warrior either, but I'm not very interested. :hmpf_bad:

In addition, the flick missile really works. Use a little bit of force from your finger and flick it, the missile will fly. Well, it certainly does not impress me at all with such playing feature.

Something to toughen up kids fingers! :tongue:

thanks for the review, cant wait til I get this comes to OZ!

Now, will there will be a dwarf impulse set in the future? I supposed that will be much interesting. :blush:

I certainly hope so. I only have one.

thanks for the review, cant wait til I get this comes to OZ!

Hey, I'm still waiting for somewhere in the UK other than TLC itself to get the first wave of Impulse sets...

I thought by calling it as a "Mouse", it will be a little much friendly unlike calling it a rat. :tongue:

Why is mouse friendlier than rat?

:skull:

Guys, thanks for your kind comments. It seemed most of us here love this impulse set, mainly to build army. Guess, I am a little bit too critic in my review. :tongue: I was expecting a little bit more! Nevertheless, I intend to buy multiple sets of this and build on my orc armies and split them into different battalions. :wink:

This is indeed one of the better ways to acquire orcs. :sweet:

I got two of these in the mail today and was so eager to do a review of it. Thanks for saving me the work. :tongue:

Opps, I was eager to do a review as well, when I bought these sets. :blush:

I hope you enjoyed reading this comprehensive review. :wink:

Hey, your review is great (as usual!!) :thumbup:

As for the set itself - well, it's an impulse set after all - small and cheap, nothing special.

Well, the rat is special, hehe, for me the rat is the most interesting in the set (cause I don't have a rat). I don't have a troll warrior either, but I'm not very interested. :hmpf_bad:

Give the new theme a chance. I feel TLG have made an effort to revive certain elements that are present in past castle themes. Although it is not as good as the past, but it is certainly better than the recent castle themes. :wink:

Why is mouse friendlier than rat?

Well, mouse sounded more friendly, because it can associate with Tom and Jerry. But, calling it a rat equal calling it a pest.. It's just a matter of putting it in different terms. That's all. :tongue:

Edit: Instead of posting another post to explain why I used mouse. I will write it here. :classic:

Tom and Jerry is reflected as a cartoon. Children associate Jerry as a mouse, since its supposed to be heart-warming and make us laugh. In real life, there are many different pets we raised. One of the possible pets we considered is a mouse. Mouse are supposed to be shy and friendly creatures that live in harmony. While rats lived in packs, hunt food in the dark and is widely regarded as a "pest".

In this review, I am trying to illustrate rat and associate it with mouse by presenting it in a much friendly approach. There is no right or wrong answer. It's just making use of different words to represent how I feel towards a particular thing. :wink:

Edited by WhiteFang

Well, mouse sounded more friendly, because it can associate with Tom and Jerry. But, calling it a rat equal calling it a pest.. It's just a matter of putting it in different terms. That's all. :tongue:

The thing I dont get is how Jerry is friendly :sceptic:

This is a nice way of building up orc armies, but I do wish it was designed like the Knight impulse set. There you have a minifig, enough weapons and armor for two figs and a weapons rack made out of basic pieces. Add a generic fig from your collection and you have two knights and the pieces from the rack can be easily used in MOCs. The pieces that make up the siege weapon in the Orc impulse are not as easy to use in other creations. I'd rather have seen a "Orcish" weapons rack (different from the Knights rack, but like it, using basic elements) with a second helmet, another weapon, the Orc armor and a shield to put on it.

Still, although not as good as the Knight impulse, it's a nice little set.

Tom and Jerry is reflected as a cartoon. Children associate Jerry as a mouse, since its supposed to be heart-warming and make us laugh. In real life, there are many different pets we raised. One of the possible pets we considered is a mouse. Mouse are supposed to be shy and friendly creatures that live in harmony. While rats lived in packs, hunt food in the dark and is widely regarded as a "pest".

Where I come from people keep both as pets. However, if either are found in the house uninvited, they are considered pests. And if you look at the Chinese zodiac, rats are very well thought of and are symbols of prosperity.

The Brick Mouse Rat

Thank you for the review. :classic:

The set is nice, I didn't need the flickfire missiles and would have rather a orc/trol shield instead, but I think I will pick one up.