Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[OKT] Annual Oktoberfest mini-challenge - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

It’s that time of year again: time for Oktoberfest!

The annual BoBS Oktoberfest celebration features food and drink, contests of skill, games and amusements, traditional/historical costumes, food and drink (did we mention food and drink?), and more!

okt_2020.jpg

This year the Eslandolan Oktoberfest celebration again takes place in the town of Punto Sur on Maldria in the New Haven Sea. The settlement has grown from a frontier outpost to a large town bustling with denizens from all the factions of the Brick Seas.

As you can tell from Punto Sur’s original trading post (and the cast of characters pictured above), the town has a Classic Pirates aesthetic. As such, all entries should have a Classic Pirates vibe of some sort, and appear fitting with a Classic Pirates port town, either in traditional 1989 form or updated for 2022 style and techniques.

Rules:

Your entry should show an Oktoberfest activity in Punto Sur appropriate for the island setting. Show residents and/or visitors preparing for or taking part in the festivities. Entries must be licensable properties. Players may submit as many entries as they want, but may only win one prize per category.

In addition to posting your entry in the forum (ideally with a [OKT] tag in the title), please post a link to your build in this thread and in the Punto Sur settlement thread. Entries must be posted by October 31.

Categories:

There are three categories this year: Factories, Commerce, and All Other property types (Artisan, Residence, Education, and Culture properties combined). Examples of factories include mills, breweries, bakeries, and other food processing facilities; examples of commerce properties include warehouses, merchant offices, banks, and lighthouses. Identify what category you’re entering when you post your entry. Entries will be judged on presentation, quality of build, story, fit with Punto Sur’s architectural style (Classic Pirate, both retro and modern), and fit with the Oktoberfest/festival theme. The only size requirement is a 16x16 minimum.

Prizes:

The top three entries in each category will win a free property license (large/medium/small for first/second/third place), to be activated by microbuild.

Builders will also be reimbursed for licensing costs for any property licensed through the EGS, or Capt Wolf will purchase (at 2x the license cost) any property a builder does not wish to license.

Winners announced here.

[SR- OKT] Tienda Del Comerciante Del Evento, Punto Sur

Licensed as a Large Commerce: event merchant store

52438843731_2e13d126c8_b.jpgOktoberfest 622 A07 by Philippe, auf Flickr

Edited by NOD

2 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I don't know if I can make it this year. I like this challenge but currently I am busy with preparations for BrickMania Antwerp... :pir-look:

Understood. Good luck with that!

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Mine is ready, stay tuned

Looking forward to it!

I have three builds almost done. One needs an interior, and they all need some minifigs and "life" added. I should get this done in time, and have them posted before the deadline. :pir-classic:

It is done.

See this "main thread" first, then check the follow-ups for the individual entries:

If this leads to any confusion: please just ask. :pirate:

P.S. for @Capt Wolf: All three builds will be licensed by me over time (the school already is). I will post each in the Punto Sur settlement thread when its respective license is done. Instead of paying me back the licensing fee, I would prefer those "free licenses" to be given to somebody else - preferably new players.

Edited by Darnok

54 minutes ago, Darnok said:

It is done.

Woot! :thumbup:

54 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I will post each in the Punto Sur settlement thread when its respective license is done. Instead of paying me back the licensing fee, I would prefer those "free licenses" to be given to somebody else - preferably new players.

Will do. :pir-huzzah2:

29 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Within 14h my entry should be posted :)

That'll work. :thumbup:

The deadline is now past for entries in this year's Oktoberfest. Judging will be done in the next day or two. Thank you to all that entered!

That said, @Darnok has graciously donated the DBs he would have earned for licensing his entries to help new players get a start in the EGS, so, if any new players want to build in Punto Sur, the settlement has 75 DBs it can donate toward licensing properties here. And even if those DBs get snapped up, Punto Sur is also willing to pay for the licensing of a water-powered mill. Contact @Capt Wolf for details.

Judging is complete and we have our winners for this year's Oktoberfest! :pir-huzzah2:

In the Commerce category, in an extremely close vote, first place goes to @Maxim I for his inspired MAESTRO office:

Second place goes to @NOD for his impressive event merchant store:

And third place goes to @Darnok for this quay:

In the Factory category, first place goes to @Professor Thaum for his barrel maker:

And second place goes to @Darnok for his barrel maker:

Finally, in the Other category, first place goes to @Darnok for his elementary school:

All first-place winners receive a free large property license, to be activated by microbuild. Second-place winners receive a medium license (activated by microbuild), and third place receives a small license (activated by microbuild). Thanks to everyone for partaking in BoBS Oktoberfest! :pir-huzzah2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a related note, Darnok donated some DBs to be used by new players, so if any new players want to build a property in Punto Sur, contact @Capt Wolf to arrange for payment of the license.

Furthermore, the town council is seeking someone who will build a water wheel-powered mill for Punto Sur. If interested, again, contact Capt Wolf to arrange for funding. 

2 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Does microbuild mean microscale?

yes, and not a specific micro scale at that. It's just "smaller than minifig" scale and doesn't have the usual dimensional requirements for property sizes, but should at least look appropriately sized proportionately for a small/medium/large property. (I hope I'm not making that sound more confusing than it needs to be.)

Some examples of microbuilds:

Are the prize licenses restricted to be used in Punto Sur, or can they be used anywhere?

And my sincere thanks to @Capt Wolf for running this iconic minichallenge once again. I hope it continues, despite the small attendance this year.

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

yes, and not a specific micro scale at that. It's just "smaller than minifig" scale and doesn't have the usual dimensional requirements for property sizes, but should at least look appropriately sized proportionately for a small/medium/large property. (I hope I'm not making that sound more confusing than it needs to be.)

Some examples of microbuilds:

I see, thanks! :pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Punto Sur

Is this "leadership Thaum" or "personal opinion Thaum" speaking?

I was asking because there were no statements regarding the license use this time, contrary to previous years. Last year specified the New Haven Sea region for example - so no single settlement either. There are no strong opinions of mine either way, I just like it to be clear.

Also: does @Capt Wolf (or anybody else from the Eslandola faction) have anything against a WTC presence in Punto Sur?