Murdoch17

Oil well and nodding donkey pumpjack models - finished MOC

Here we see a typical oil well and "nodding donkey" pumpjack rendered in LEGO form, ready to start pumping crude oil. (link to Wikipedia for more on pumpjacks, in case you don't know what they are.)

53036840205_ecd03a5ab8_z.jpg

The oil well design was heavily modified in design and usage, as it was originally designed as the lower half of a water tower for steam trains!

53035868632_ee08dff957_z.jpg

The oil pumpjack features a crank as a play feature, (which could easily be motorized) though it doesn't actually pump anything. My video from Flickr showing it in motion is being stupid and won't embed, so here's a link to it instead.

Thoughts?

UPDATE 7/10/23: Model finished, real world photos added to main post!

Edited by Murdoch17

I started seeing how far I could go with a project I never finished: an oil well and a nodding donkey-type oil pumpjack.

52807575634_bff98945ac_z.jpg

I put the two raised baseplates that are to be used for the project together, and added bracing to the inside. But, there is an issue: the walls nearest to the other baseplate are molded with a slope / slant, which means there will be a very noticeable gap between the two. I've check both, and they are identical in this way, so it was designed like this by LEGO for some unknown reason. I wonder why they did that...

52931966691_750555311e_z.jpg

As you can see, the pumpjack portion is now done. I added a hand crank as no motor can go that slow as to be accurate... not to mention I have no motors, nor room for one and the needed battery box anyway!