Kai NRG

[CaTC] Detection

Brainstorming for the Create a Theme Contest reminded me that I've always wanted to do some Gothic stuff, so after finding some good minifigure outfits and a basic story concept to wrap it around, I went for it!  Town seemed the best home for it, so here it is.  Hope you enjoy.

Category 1

Theme: Detection

There's been a crime committed in the land of LEGO and we need to know who did it!  The unstoppable duo of the Detective and the Doctor inspect evidence, interview witnesses, and investigate the scene.  No clue goes unnoticed and no criminal will escape!

640x853.JPG

Greenwold House, 871 pieces, $80

Greenwold House is the scene of the toughest case on the block.  Apparent clues abound... but it will take true discernment to separate fact from fiction!

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

The flagship set of the theme, Greenwold House includes the full minifigure lineup; the Detective, the Doctor, and six suspects.

640x480.JPG

640x853.JPG

Without minifigures, you can appreciate the detailed architecture.

640x480.JPG

Inside, there's enough going on to baffle all but the best detective duo.

640x480.JPG

640x480.JPG

The interior features six "fully furnished" rooms:

The hall, the lounge above it, the ballroom:

640x480.JPG

(come on, let's see that piano again!)

640x480.JPG

The library:

640x480.JPG

The kitchen:

640x853.JPG

The study:

640x853.JPG

The conservatory:

640x853.JPG

(So yes, I took some inspiration from Clue... can you spot all six weapons?  Note that the "wrench" is not quite a wrench, I didn't have the right kind.)

640x480.JPG

Greybury Bridge, 80 pieces, $10

The Detective is always on the lookout for evidence... and always has his ears and eyes open for suspicious interactions between suspects.

800x600.JPG

640x853.JPG

(If you happen to count up the pieces on this one--it's not a mirror image, I left some pieces off the back that are on the front because, well, 80 pieces is like nothing!)

Other set concepts:

Baker Street, 500 pieces, $50

The Detective's office is the nucleus around which each good mystery revolves.  Complete with chemist's lab, study, and a comfortable sitting room for clients.

Getaway Coach, $300 pieces, $25

When the trail gets too hot, the suspects sometimes turn tail.  This four house coach is a favorite escape route.  But what they don't know is that their coachman is the Detective in disguise!

Category 2

Minifigure Line-up

800x302.JPG

Mary, Emmiline, Rob, Detective, Doctor, Reginald, Alyssa, Fred

aka Mrs. Peacock, Mrs. White, Colonel Mustard, Detective, Doctor, Mr. Green, Miss Scarlet, Professor Plum

Higher Res images on Bricksafe and some will be coming to my Flickr too.

Well that was a lot of fun!  C&C welcome, thanks for checking my entry out!

This is fun. The house (and the piano) and the bridge are great on their own, but adding in some some Sherlock and some Clue makes it even better.

Some sort of collectable "game/story cards" that went along with the set could be fun, too, but whoever owns Clue might raise an eyebrow at the idea.

I love the greenwood house! Hiding clues in the set is a fun idea. 

Though maybe you should've mixed the minifigures up a bit, (hypothetically)Lego probably wouldn't want Hasbro breathing down their neck. Though considering Optimus Prime and lego's currently love of large licensed sets, they might just make an £100+ Cluedo set. Obviously that doesn't really matter because this won't be real theme but I think it might've done with more differentiation from the source material as it were. But regardless of that this an excellent theme proposal :thumbup:

Ooooooo, this idea does sound fun! I like it.

if your idea turned into real one, i will buy it for sure. :)

On 9/25/2022 at 12:00 AM, Stepwise said:

This is fun. The house (and the piano) and the bridge are great on their own, but adding in some some Sherlock and some Clue makes it even better.

Some sort of collectable "game/story cards" that went along with the set could be fun, too, but whoever owns Clue might raise an eyebrow at the idea.

Thanks!  Yeah, if you had some cards, it'd be fairly easy to play the game with this build!

On 9/25/2022 at 2:32 AM, Agent Kallus said:

I love the greenwood house! Hiding clues in the set is a fun idea. 

Though maybe you should've mixed the minifigures up a bit, (hypothetically)Lego probably wouldn't want Hasbro breathing down their neck. Though considering Optimus Prime and lego's currently love of large licensed sets, they might just make an £100+ Cluedo set. Obviously that doesn't really matter because this won't be real theme but I think it might've done with more differentiation from the source material as it were. But regardless of that this an excellent theme proposal :thumbup:

I would think the minifigures themselves are sufficiently different from Clue, but I figured given the hypothetical nature of this why note name them the same thing? :laugh:  Thank you!

On 9/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Ooooooo, this idea does sound fun! I like it.

if your idea turned into real one, i will buy it for sure. :)

hehe, that's fun to hear! :grin:

On 9/26/2022 at 1:51 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice project! :thumbup:

Thank you!

Love your entry! It was rather tough to select my votes, but gave one to you. I'm sure that a detective theme is one of those things that has probably been discussed (and dismissed) internally, but I'm convinced that this would be a massive hit. Who doesn't like detectives? And the sets would be full of easter eggs to the brim, with so many self-references. The posibilites are endless here! The builds are very nice too. The manor is the eye-catcher for sure but I'm most impressed with the idea of the bridge set. Instantly recognisable as a setting for a crime and uses just the right amount of pieces.

Congrats!

17 hours ago, paupadros said:

Love your entry! It was rather tough to select my votes, but gave one to you. I'm sure that a detective theme is one of those things that has probably been discussed (and dismissed) internally, but I'm convinced that this would be a massive hit. Who doesn't like detectives? And the sets would be full of easter eggs to the brim, with so many self-references. The posibilites are endless here! The builds are very nice too. The manor is the eye-catcher for sure but I'm most impressed with the idea of the bridge set. Instantly recognisable as a setting for a crime and uses just the right amount of pieces.

Congrats!

Thank you!  I really appreciate the vote. :blush:

I agree, an unlicensed theme along these lines could be a great success, it would be super fun to play with and you could get some really neat settings for builds.  Who knows, maybe one day!