HarrisBricks

[MOC] Surefoot TR3 Rover (Ice Planet Badlands)

This build is a Surefoot TR3 Rover inspired by Ice Planet 2002 but using the range of pieces and building techniques now available.

The colour scheme and styling of this build will hopefully be recognisable to any fan of the original LEGO Ice Planet 2002 sets (1993-1994), though I have broadened the colour scheme ever so slightly for my post-apocalyptic Ice Planet setting. This Ice Planet rover was created as part of my as-yet-unnamed Ice Planet Badlands build, find out more here.

Ice Planet RoverIce Planet RoverIce Planet RoverIce Planet Rover

Good work on this Ice Planet rover. The color scheme is spot on and the new parts work well in retaining the feel of the theme. The rust feel for me isn't so "post-apocalyptic", but a hard working rover that is used often.

7 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Good work on this Ice Planet rover. The color scheme is spot on and the new parts work well in retaining the feel of the theme. The rust feel for me isn't so "post-apocalyptic", but a hard working rover that is used often.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, wanderer1980 said:

really cool build. also fitting in scale. respect!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Time77 said:

It looks good... that color-scheme isn't ice-planet though

I make it pretty clear that I have broadened the colour scheme, both in my original post and in the link I provided, I am not sure what your point is.

Ice Planet 2002 only has a four colour palette, and you can build in it if you like, and be as prescriptive as you like in your own builds, that is your choice. Though I must say that Gatekeeping serves no one.

Edited by HarrisBricks

It's a very nice vehicle. With both of these, you've made stuff that just feels ice planet, even with all the new parts added.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:15 PM, Time77 said:

It looks good... that color-scheme isn't ice-planet though

It is? He added a couple, sure, but the main color scheme is the same, and he literally says he added more colors in the post. Why are you complaining?

Add me to the gang that love the expanded colours. Nice write-up and exploration of the concept on your site too.

& that grille is sick!

19 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's a very nice vehicle. With both of these, you've made stuff that just feels ice planet, even with all the new parts added.

It is? He added a couple, sure, but the main color scheme is the same, and he literally says he added more colors in the post. Why are you complaining?

Thanks for your support!

21 minutes ago, Yoggington said:

Add me to the gang that love the expanded colours. Nice write-up and exploration of the concept on your site too.

& that grille is sick!

Cheers, I had a comment on Flickr about adding some more black to the dark grey areas as if it was remnants of worn off paint so I reckon that might work well, so will have a look at adding some in in a few areas.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, HarrisBricks said:

I make it pretty clear that I have broadened the colour scheme, both in my original post and in the link I provided, I am not sure what your point is.

Ice Planet 2002 only has a four colour palette, and you can build in it if you like, and be as prescriptive as you like in your own builds, that is your choice. Though I must say that Gatekeeping serves no one.

My point is its not ice planet; maybe its ice planet 2 or neon ice planet, but its not the OG color scheme.  What gate am I keeping exactly? Saying an orange isn't a grapefruit isn't gate-keeping, its just a statement.

51 minutes ago, Time77 said:

My point is its not ice planet; maybe its ice planet 2 or neon ice planet, but its not the OG color scheme.  What gate am I keeping exactly? Saying an orange isn't a grapefruit isn't gate-keeping, its just a statement. 

Oh it is Ice Planet, rest assured. Though it is not meant to be Ice Planet 2002, but my own Ice Planet reimagining, Ice Planet Badlands, set 30 years after a great war on Krysto. The gate you are trying to keep is 'what can and cannot be ice planet'.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, Time77 said:

Dude, leave it be. The man's made an awesome ice planet moc, why are you so adament that because it uses an extra color or two, it's not ice planet? It's a fan made creation for a fictional space group made for what is ultimately a children's toy line. You don't get to decide what is and isn't ice planet.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Dude, leave it be. The man's made an awesome ice planet moc, why are you so adament that because it uses an extra color or two, it's not ice planet? It's a fan made creation for a fictional space group made for what is ultimately a children's toy line. You don't get to decide what is and isn't ice planet.

Thanks for your support!