hikouki

Designing a Lego room for an AFOL

Just bought a new house, and I purchased a design plan with an online company to help me design my AFOL room. My experience has been quite interesting so far.

The house has a room at the basement with is about 26 feet x 12.5 feet. The previous owners used 2/3 of it as a media room, with a couch and large TV. The other third had a set up for gaming.

I was wanting to convert it into a part-media room, and part AFOL assembly area, with the display tying both areas together. I was not really sure how to lay out the furniture so I needed help from this online design company. They do make nice renderings of living and dining rooms.

The moment I mentioned "Lego," the designer exclaimed, "...how cute..." and that "...all the kids will have fun..." despite the fact that my original brief mentioned that this is a house for a single person, and an AFOL at that. I corrected her and despite that, she still placed kiddie chairs and painted the walls red, leaving with one side with a "glitter" effect. She designed my other rooms which had a coastal theme with muted colors.

After my corrections, she did come up with a new design (following post).

Lego room 1.jpg

I could not post the revised design due to limited jpg space. But she basically put that couch to the side, and placed a large dining-size table with four chairs!

I cannot believe that at this day and age, many people think that Legos are only for kids. None of these designers seem to have come across a request to design an AFOL room.

8 hours ago, hikouki said:

I cannot believe that at this day and age, many people think that Legos are only for kids. None of these designers seem to have come across a request to design an AFOL room.

Well, could be partly due to the costs of having that done by a designer - it appears as if you have secured such funds. It could also be that some AFOLs - at least those in the MOC corner - are MOCing their AFOL room as well (provided they have access to one/want to dedicate one). Some folks (like me :pir-laugh:) simply merge the functionality of a room, let's say a home-office, with that of a LEGO room. And then it also depends much on what that room is going to be: More of a showroom or a LEGO construction frenzy laboratory type room, or both. With regard to the latter, entropy usually takes over after some undefined time and the design/arrangement of such a room relaxes a bit into lower energy states. I guess with the former, a designed room will stay as designed much longer.

If you have already a large collection of LEGO, you'll have probably thought all this through - here is just what happened to me: LEGO simply attracts more LEGO. And in a highly non-linear fashion, particularly when you took all the "becoming-an-AFOL-with-enough-funding" obstacles: In that case, it appears as if the inflow of new LEGO is steeply exponential. And with all exponential functions, they really like to mess with fixed geometries like rooms, bins (size and number) or shelf-area. :pir-wink:   

I believe in the Technic Forum, there is also a thread about LEGO rooms. But these folks appear to be even more inclined to just do it their way.

Good luck and much fun with the actual realization of your AFOL room! You will certainly spend many, many wonderful hours in that space!

Best regards,
Thorsten 

58 minutes ago, Toastie said:

If you have already a large collection of LEGO, you'll have probably thought all this through - here is just what happened to me: LEGO simply attracts more LEGO. And in a highly non-linear fashion, particularly when you took all the "becoming-an-AFOL-with-enough-funding" obstacles: In that case, it appears as if the inflow of new LEGO is steeply exponential. And with all exponential functions, they really like to mess with fixed geometries like rooms, bins (size and number) or shelf-area.

Toastie. You do have a way of saying it (funny). I know the feeling "Lego grows" like children, it begets itself. hikouki give yourself room to grow. Your Lego collection will grow "steeply exponentially" like Toastie says! Toasties' advice is good on all points.

Post your picture elsewhere, and then put a link to it here, and then it will appear here.

Edited by 1963maniac

Maybe those designers assume you have nephews and nieces coming over to play LEGO.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/86174-show-us-your-working-placelego-room/