MaximillianRebo

[MOC] Kenner Mini-rigs -- NEW: Security Scout & Sand Skimmer

Inspired by other builders on Eurobricks, I've created my own set of Kenner Mini-rigs. These were non-canon toys from the 1980s that were designed to fit into the Star Wars universe but never appeared on screen (although a few have made their way into various media since then).

INT-4 Interceptor

A figure can fit inside through a hatch in the roof and the wings do fold out. The INT-4 was a repulsorlift scouting vehcile used by the Empire. The short range flyer is operated by a single pilot and can be carried inside the body of an AT-AT.

INT-4 Interceptor

INT-4 Interceptor

CAP-2 Captivator

This was my first attempt at 'upside down' building. Bossk (or any other fig) can fit fully inside the cockpit, I just have it open to avoid reflections in the photo. The CAP-2 is a model of walker used by the Empire and bounty hunters. Two mechanical arms extend from the front of the vehicle with a blaster cannon mounted between them and a large mechanism on the back hold prisoners for transport.

CAP-2 Captivator

MLC-3 Mobile Laser Cannon

I managed to fit wheels underneath the build to allow for easy movement and the cannons have a limited range of motion. The MLC-3 light thank is a type of self-propelled artillery mounted on a motorized, tracked chassis, used by the Rebels on Hoth.

Desert Sail Skiff

A small, open-air, repulsorlift utility vehicle. The sail skiffs are smaller in size than the regular skiffs seen in ROTJ and were designed to be used as one-man personal fliers.

Desert Sail Skiff

Endor Forest Ranger

This build is based on a design by @jamie75, I made a recolour of his cockpit design and changed the wing design. The wings are capable of rotating through a full 360 degrees and the landing gear folds up. Unfortunately I don't have an Endor trooper to use to show scale, so here's Jedi Luke. This is a repulsorlift vehicle used by the Rebels on Endor. With its unique gravity-controlled cockpit capable of supporting a single pilot, the vehicle was designed for manoeuvring through the forests of Endor. The vehicle had two gyroscopic wings and a large blaster cannon on each side

Endor Forest Ranger

MTV-7 Mobile Terrain Vehicle

This model is largely a rebuild of an existing MOC by @jere7my with minor adjustments. I really like how he used the technic rubber axle connectors to allow for the wheels to pivot from the body. The MTV-7 is a single tracked, double wheeled ground car used by the Empire to scout planetary terrain, in particular on Hoth.

MTV-7 Multi Terrain Vehicle

Family photo

Kenner Mini-rigs

And finally a bonus round...

Imperial Sniper

This wasn't produced as part of the Mini-Rig line, but rather from Kenner's line of Body-rigs - similar non-canon toys on a built on a smaller scale to the mini-rigs. The Imperial Sniper is a repulsorlift craft piloted by one person. It features a large open seat, two blaster cannons, and a grappling claw.

Imperial Sniper

Edited by MaximillianRebo

These are great, a bit like oversized microfighters. I'm not overly familiar with the Kenner toys but you've captured their 'Kenner-iness' perfectly!

Wow, talk about taking me back. I designed these years ago with the intent of building them in real brick and never got around to it. Thanks for the nod!  Glad my design inspired you! 

Thank again!

Love them! You've really captured how goofy they look while still making them feel star wars. The difference between the proportions of a minifigure and action figure gets in the way a little bit (The MTV-7 feels a bit oversized, for example), but in general you've done a good job negating that. The INT-4 has to be my favorite, you've recreated the design so well.

I made an MLC-3 as I think the first MOC I ever posted here (albiet based on the "canon" force arena design), and this really takes me back.

I never heared about the Kenner Mini-Rigs, so i had to look them up. The vehicles look weird but they have something that makes them very catchy imo. You captured the look very well! I like all your vehicle mocs but the INT-4 and MLC-3 are my favorites :thumbup:

Excellent work.  Ah memories, I had the INT-4 toy as a kid and you have nailed it.  I also had the ISP-6 (Imperial Shuttle Pod) which seems to be missing from your collection....................

I love these, great job! I'd love it if we could get some versions of these vehicles in battle packs over whatever random, generic vehicles they make for those. 

Thanks everyone for your comments!

@TeddytheSpoon These were kind of the microfighters of their day - something from the Star Wars universe at a lower price point than the bigger, more detailed ships (although sadly with figures not included).

@jamie75 I should have mentioned how great your cabin design for the Forest Ranger is; it works so well and perfectly captures in Lego the roundness of that section.

@Mandalorianknight I agree the MTV-7 is a bit tall. I tried to make the wheel struts shorter but that would have meant using much smaller tires. Thinning down the top section and putting it on a regular 2x2 turntable makes the vehicle a brick shorter; still not to scale, but not as tall as before.

@obijon I had a look at the Imperial shuttle Pod but didn't get around to designing one. There's a few other mini-rigs I haven't attempted so hopefully one day.

I recently added to my collection of Kenner Mini-rigs with two Body-rig MOCS. The body-rigs were a sub-line of the mini-rig collection; smaller vehicles with space for a pilot and not much else. As with the mini-rigs they are all non-canon, although several have appeared in Star Wars EU media.

Security Scout

A one person vehicle with tan and green camouflage, the Security Scout was designed to soar above the forests of Endor as a companion vehicle to the Forest Ranger mini-rig.

Endor Security Scout

Endor Security Scout

Sand Skimmer

Another small one person hovercraft, similar in design to the Desert Sail Skiff mini-rig, presumably used by Jabba's minions to travel the sands of Tatooine and elsewhere.

Sand Skimmer

Here's a photo with the Imperial Sniper from a while back, rounding out the range of body rigs.

Kenner Body Rigs

Instructions: https://rebrickable.com/users/MaximillianBricks/mocs/?tag=46593

Edited by MaximillianRebo