principalbricks

Mixing-up large parts collection (new/used, diff era)

Need some advice before I go down the irreversible path of mixing-up my parts...

Context:
My collection has grown to ~50 large assembled sets — consisting of both new retail and older used sets.

I always hope to disassemble and consolidate all the parts for some free-play/MOC. But also want to re-assemble them back to the original sets one day.

Issue:
For my new retail sets, the bricks are in great condition. For older used sets, some bricks are bit dull/scratched.

Plus even our beloved LEGO isn't perfect, with variations in quality and mold across different time periods.

So in an ideal world, I should separate new/old bricks. But I don't have enough space or money for duplicated sets of storage. Even if I do, it's hard to draw a line on which set is considered "new" v. "old".

Problem:
I worry that re-assembling the original sets after such a consolidation will be a nightmare.

I imagine the sets will never look the same again with glossy bricks next to scratched bricks. And the mold variations through the years could cause alignment and clutch tightness issues? (e.g. I have even basic 1x2 bricks from ~2000s that have slight misalignment, which I once read was a known production issue?)

Hoping for advice from others who also consolidated their large new/used parts collection, and how to achieve a happy practical balance.

Many thanks!

Sorting out 50+ sets even if they are the same era is a nightmare. If you mix in older or different condition parts it will of course be harder still. 

Why mix them all in one go? Why not mix just a few similar sets for MOC parts then it is much easier to sort them back again. 

I took a few of my favorite sets and bagged theme for rebuilds.  The ones I didn't care much about went into the MOC bucket.

Back when I was in that position, I opted to keep my old sets intact and disassembled my new sets for MOCs. I bought new sets or parts to add to the MOCing pile when funds permitted.

I’m in a similar position except with clone/aftermarket bricks and LEGO bricks. I’m les worried about mixing things up because they’re easier to tell apart, but typically my MOCs, both mine and those I buy from Rebrickable I use clone bricks for, and official sets remain intact. There are exceptions like ship hulls, printed pieces and other piece’s unavailable from Webrick are LEGO as well.

Thanks for all your sharing and suggestions!

I have bought some parts, but as the size of MOC increases, I was hoping to use my existing sets first before spending more money.

It's such a hard balance — LEGO is meant for creative building, but the price (and beauty) of big sets also mean preserving the original build and parts as-is... 😔

On 9/24/2022 at 3:35 PM, principalbricks said:

It's such a hard balance — LEGO is meant for creative building, but the price (and beauty) of big sets also mean preserving the original build and parts as-is... 😔

I don't think LEGO is meant for anything, aside trom making money for the LEGO group. 

If you buy basic bricks and MOC, it is not wrong. If you buy sets and assemble and display them and never take them apart, it is not wrong. If you buy expensive sets, don't build what it is supposed to be but MOC with the parts, it is not wrong. If you buy a set and leave it in a sealed box, it is not wrong.

Some LEGO sets appear to be made to inspire creativity but then others appear to be made as a display item. If you use the 'wrong' set for the 'wrong' purpose, it doesn't matter so long as you enjoy it. 

So sort by age, end pips, stud pips then with cross support on 2×3&4.

Some cross support no bars, + bars, full depth cross support, back to not full now on all bars (apart from 1×8, but still differ) for ×1's.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, MAB said:

I don't think LEGO is meant for anything, aside trom making money for the LEGO group.

As this thread was resurrected for a good reason: I missed this comment - which is 100% my perception. That is - and should very well be - the "purpose" of the global enterprise TLG. What "we" develop, in terms of "believing in", is something entirely different. There are the Gods, there are the believers. 

With regard to mixing parts: Recently, I acquired two <1990 LEGO Dacta sets - mainly triggered by @evank's hacking challenge. @MAB very well knows what this means: Very nice heavy plastic boxes, neatly organized pieces inside, each Technic axle finds its place in a nicely crafted insert ... 

As these sets were used in schools for educational purposes, some of the items inside show some wear - others seem to be less used ... initially, I thought, I need to keep these marvels well separated from my "newer", i.e., less than 15 years old Technic stuff. Well, initially. I tried to build two robot arms - one with parts of #1092 (Technic Control II) and one from #8094 (Control Center I), however I have only Control Center II (#8485) - and it did not work out. I also have a good number of other disassembled Technic sets - and simply gave up: Simply mixed everything. What - a - relief! Mint or bite marks, old (harder) or new (softer) pieces - just as I needed them in the "right" ^^ color. So: Done (since some years now) with believing in: keeping-something-forever-as-it-originally-was; in contrast - it feels absolutely cool to mix old and new and realize: It looks the same as before! Who cares about wear? Who cares about the age of the pieces? As I age, I even find yellowed pieces - seasoned. Somehow mature.

As said: There are the Gods, there are the believers - so guess who my Gods are ;)

All the best, thank you for all the fish, and don't sort by age :pir-huzzah2:

Thorsten   

I partly keep my collection separated by eras. I have a few 60s trains and 70s Legoland type cars and trucks. They remain built and I don't feel the need to be creative or MOC with those. I also have a reasonably large collection of sets from the early minifig age, from late 70s to about '96, mainly bought as used lots in the 2000s. I tend to keep these parts separate from other eras as i try to complete the sets using age appropriate parts. I rarely MOC with them. Then I have modern stuff, from about 2005 onwards. This is what I use to MOC. I have enough modern parts that I don't feel the need to mix in older parts for MOCing, mainly so I keep age appropriate parts to complete older sets. I rarely keep in-between sets of the 2000-10 decade, so any of those that I buy second hand, I will complete and sell. Older second hand sets, I tend to keep. Newer second hand sets, I keep for MOCs.