Sign in to follow this  
Jurss

[MOC] mini tribute to 42114

Recently built from parts I own 42114. Build was really interesting, functionality not so interesting. Could be good (yellow) parts pack.

During build I started to think, that I could try to build mini version of it.

Finished vehicle somewhere at the bottom of page with more pictures (one picture of finished MOC now)

1280x719.JPG

Yesterday it started with this

1280x591.jpg\

1280x591.jpg

Was really happy, that I managed to replicate drivetrain so good.

As I have covid, but not so bad, that I could not build, I continued

1280x726.jpg

For this build these linear actuators seemed the best. Yes, better would be something between these and bigger ones. I considered also pneumatic cylinders, but could not find place for pump, it is just too big for this. So I went with these. Yes, tipping angle could have been better, but I can live with this :)

Then I build tipping bed 

1280x955.jpg

1280x846.jpg

There are also lot of compromises. It could have been little bit wider, but have to work with angles, that lego provides. 

Started to work also on front

1280x702.jpg

As this model is 1:2 of original, then also fake engine has only 3 cylinders, not 6.

Not shure about mudguard yet. In picture there is two variations. 

There won't be specific steering mechanism. I was thinking about something, but then I realised, that this is articulated steering, and for this model it would be OK to do steering (and also driving) just by turning cabin (whole front part)

Now I'm building in black. Maybe after building everything, I will change front part to yellow (as it should be), and also add some yellow accents to back, as much as may parts collection will allow.

Edited by Jurss

Thank You!

Morning went fast. I realised, that I didn't took any pic, when front was almost done

1280x826.jpg

I tried to replicate those folding stairs (or whatever it is). Some yellowing starts :) Turbine also had downsizing because of EU rules :D (to fit under hood)

Added steerin wheel and seat

1280x591.jpg

Somohow happened, that hood holder found the same place (it doesn't work as hod lock)

800x369.jpg

And then holding hood in open position (on top of fake vent - small tan gear)

1280x2772.jpg

Added rear lights

800x527.jpg

exhaust

800x1182.jpg

Some overall view

1280x751.jpg

Ordered small yellow panels. Then will try to rebuild also rear and take better pictures.

Looks great! Especially the bucket is so well shaped. Did you consider implementing a HOG-steering?

The 5x7 frame also exists in yellow ;-)

I'd skip the center diff...

Nice project, looks promising, I would try to make the cabin 1 stud higher. 

I'm collecting the last pieces fot the 42114, 21 to go...

Thank You all!

10 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

drop the center diff.

But why? OK, there is not much function on it (as motor is not connected to it), but removing it also won't change a much. 

10 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

I would try to make the cabin 1 stud higher. 

Maybe some dimensions will change, but at the moment I tried to keep everything half the original, as these tires are half diameter of those used on 42114.

That dump body canopy(?) should be littlebit rised, so then I could also make cabin taller, maybe. I think I need to make sizing on real hauler.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

But why? OK, there is not much function on it (as motor is not connected to it), but removing it also won't change a much.

You answer it for yourself, if it won't change anything, why put it in there? ;-)

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

why put it in there?

Because it was on original. Why not to have "fake" central diff? :)

New chassis without central diff, for final model. 

1280x903.jpg

Waiting for parts, but forgot to order 3x11 panels in yellow :(

13 hours ago, Jurss said:

That's fair. I wondered if maybe you could use the room for something like a HOG link or something. But if it's not limiting your, then keep it in. :pir-sweet:

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

HOG

Don't think so. HOG linking then would be in front part, not there. But for me it seems, that there is no need for specific HOG mechanisms, as this has articulated steering, and it could be really done grabbing cabin.

I was thinking to put those actuators at some angle, as on original. But still, there is almost no room for that. Also pneumatics pump was considered there, but that pump is just too big.

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

Don't think so. HOG linking then would be in front part, not there. But for me it seems, that there is no need for specific HOG mechanisms, as this has articulated steering, and it could be really done grabbing cabin.

I was thinking to put those actuators at some angle, as on original. But still, there is almost no room for that. Also pneumatics pump was considered there, but that pump is just too big.

All this make sense. It's a small build, and you have a lot in it already. Great job, and I look forward to seeing it in Yellow.

Did a more proper version with more yellow

1280x719.JPG

Made thinner pillar for cabin

1280x1077.JPG

Now rear windows hold hood in open position, as it was really hard to put that stick in its place

1280x1454.JPG

1280x932.JPG

Removed central diff, as it didn't had any real function. Seems like it improved look of vehicle.

1280x532.JPG

1280x538.JPG

Looks pretty good in yellow, and has good proportions and functions. Only, I was wondering if it would be possible to move the LAs one stud forward to be less close to the wheels. I guess it would decreas the bed elevation a bit though..

Edited by gyenesvi

11 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I guess it would decreas the bed elevation a bit though..

Yes. And it is not so good already. 

Anyway, there is no rubbing or something like that. 

I'm happy you were able to get all the parts it yellow. It looks so good, and it just the perfect size for me. Again, well done.