493 Space Command Center Review

indexed.gif

Space Command Center #493

Year Released: 1979

Piece Count: 161

Minifigs: 4

Vehicles: 2

List Price: unknown

My first space set was this all-time classic, the Space Command Center. While my friend was "swooshing" his Space Cruiser through the air, I was grounded on the moon where this great set was located.

Starting with the instructions:

01instruct.jpg

The set included four figs with two walkie-talkies:

02figs.jpg

Two space vehicles were included in this set. A small moon buggy which formed the basis for all Classic Blue Era Space buggies:

03buggy.jpg

And this great camera vehicle with turnable cam:

04cam.jpg

This particular set did not include a "crater baseplate" that came a little later, but rather a flat baseplate with brick-built craters:

05craters.jpg

A later version of this set offered the new crater baseplate. There's a little rust on one of the curved circle bricks (pictured) that I didn't try to clean before taking the picture.

Here's a shot of the Command Center:

06base1.jpg

Missing from the picture is another large grey antena.

Here's a close-up of the large radar dish:

07radar.jpg

And a view of the Command Center at a different angle:

10side.jpg

The interior was nicely detailed with a large single piece display screen (no decal). Notice the early brick-built space chairs:

08inside.jpg

Here's a close-up of the display screen:

09viewer.jpg

The complete set with one missing antena:

11set.jpg

I had a lot of fun playing "Moon Base" with this great classic. Hope you enjoy the review.

Brickster, this Space Command Center is awesome! :wub:

Simple, yet so much playability. The Command Center display is excellent. One set, containing a total of 7 printed computer bricks, is totally amazing! Most importantly, that one large big display screen. This is not a very big complex command center, but it certainly looks the best around here, with those amazing parts, which you can hardly see it anymore in most of the Space theme. :sadnew:

The 2 mini-vehicles are very nice looking. This kind of design, will make much better impulse sets than the current ones. No offense to the MM theme lovers, it just that I really prefer the older days of Space, since it's simple to build and nice to play with. :sweet:

that must be one of the best ratios of printed parts ever 11/161 or 15 parts if you count the minifig torsos. I have this set (ok, techinically I have the 926 crater plate version) and it sits magnificently with the other classic space bases of that era.

So Brickster, is the 928/497 the next on your review list?

I have this set (ok, techinically I have the 926 crater plate version) and it sits magnificently with the other classic space bases of that era.

Excellent! How's the quality/shape of your set?

So Brickster, is the 928/497 the next on your review list?

Interesting guess, but no. What makes you guess the Galaxy Explorer? The landing plate?

Thanks for this awesome review, TheBrickster! I love these reviews, as it gives me a great look at some of the sets I could never see in person. This set has everything you could want for a little space command centre, and look at those printed pieces! It's sad how printed pieces amaze us so nowadays. :cry_sad::tongue: That antennae is cool, and that crater is an ingeniuos design, I'm so stealing that! :tongue:

~Peace

Excellent! How's the quality/shape of your set?

Mine is in excellent shape (have both antennas in great condition) but it's not one from my childhood. I managed to get a top quality one as an adult and then bought a box with inner trays separately, now they cost a bit, particularly as the Aussie $ was worth just over half of what it's worth now. The only large base I had as a kid was the 6970 which...

Interesting guess, but no. What makes you guess the Galaxy Explorer? The landing plate?

I believe is the next one you will review judging from the background of your pic.

Hmm. I didn't know about this set. I had this one:

0483-1.jpg

It was among the first I had, like 487 and 462. Ah, the classics...

:wub: this brings back memories... i'd totaly forgoten about those craters! nope, Lego would never get away with that today! still, we were all so amazed by those space sets back then, we just couldn't care about it! the only bad thing is this set where the seats. astronautes having to take off their tanks?! WTF?! that was blasphemy!!! thank god Lego realised that mistake and never did that again!

it still is a fairly boring base though... no rocket launcher! ... .... but a grey antenna!!