Sign in to follow this  
technicmath

New Elementary contest Make a Wishbrick

Below are my designs for the contest "Make a Wishbrick" from New Elementary from July-August 2022.

The first design is a Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Pin Holes on Bottom.
Its design is a hybrid of the following parts:

18677.png

2817.png

32952.png

62462.png

Plate_perspective.png

The second design is a Technic, Liftarm, Modified Perpendicular Holes Bent Thick L-Shape 5 x 7.

The enlarged build consists of 3 units. The first unit is only used once in the corner. The second unit is only used twice at the ends. The third unit is used for all other enlarged pinholes. This third unit is positioned in different orientations in order to obtain the perpendicular pinholes.

Each of these 3 units is a separate and solid build on its own. These 3 units can be joined together with technic pins. Hence also other configurations of liftarms can be build such as
other non-existing parts:
Technic, Liftarm, Modified Perpendicular Holes Bent Thick L-Shape 3 x 5
Technic, Liftarm, Modified Perpendicular Holes Bent Thick L-Shape 5 x 5
existing parts:
39794 Technic, Liftarm, Modified Frame Thick 7 x 11 Open Center
71710 Technic, Liftarm, Modified Perpendicular Holes Thick 1 x 15

Each of the 3 units has a dimension of 8 x 8 x 8 studs. These 3 units mainly use the following parts:
35044 Plate, Modified 4 x 4 with 3 x 3 Curved Cutout
80015 Plate, Round Corner 5 x 5 with 4 x 4 Curved Cutout
27507 Tile, Round Corner 4 x 4 Macaroni Wide

The enlarged build is built in the same scale as the Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Pin Holes on Bottom above.

The total number of parts in the enlarged build of the Technic, Liftarm, Modified Perpendicular Holes Bent Thick L-Shape 5 x 7 is 986.

Liftarmcorner.png

Liftarmend.png

Liftarmfront.png

Liftarmleft.png

Liftarmperspective.png

Liftarm.png

Liftarmstraight.png

Liftarmtop.png

Congratulations to the winners!

That is a great idea, both the part itself and also the way you built it! I like the modularity. I was just designing something the other day, where an L shaped flip-flop like this in 3x5 size would have been the perfect part to fit and make things compact and strong.

I have seen this contest but did not enter when I realized that you need to actually build the wishbrick from existing parts instead of designing them for example in Studio part designer or a CAD software. Also, it would be awesome to have a contest like this by TLG, where a few of the winners would actually become produced parts instead of winning some sets. That, I would enter for sure! :)

Your entry is great and would surely make strong yet lightweight builds easier. The contest has already ended though, and the winners have been announced.

Too bad it was hosted by New Elementary, so while the results are probably being followed by TLG, I doubt much will come out of it. There were no Technic parts among the winners/honorable mentions, and as for System builders, couple of them might eventually be made while others won't be. Either way, for a Technic builder this contest didn't have much to offer.

16 hours ago, technicmath said:

18677.png

Your first design is interesting and I think I needed something like that a few times. But what I need very often is the quoted part with 2 pinholes. Or from another perspective, that's 85x85p.jpg without the protruding bottom. Equally great would be 85x85p.jpg again without the protruding bottom. Just a stud mountable on a pin or axle! :pir-sweet:

Edit: for reference: there was a discussion about the contest in the General Part Discussion thread:

Thank you @gyenesvi, @howitzer and @astyanax!

On 9/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, astyanax said:

Your first design is interesting and I think I needed something like that a few times. But what I need very often is the quoted part with 2 pinholes. Or from another perspective, that's 85x85p.jpg without the protruding bottom. Equally great would be 85x85p.jpg again without the protruding bottom. Just a stud mountable on a pin or axle! :pir-sweet:

Those parts would indeed be very useful!

On 9/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, technicmath said:

The first design is a Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Pin Holes on Bottom.

Going through my 'weird Technic-ish parts' bin today, I found a similar existing part. It has anti-studs instead of studs, but still... :pir-sweet:

85x85p.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/parts/15406/