Four Bricks Tall

[CaTC] Galen's Row

Hello! This is my contest entry for Theme and Minifigure Lineup. I had a great time creating these and will be adding buildings to it as I go so I can have a little medieval street on my shelf. I'll probably tweak these MOCs over the next few weeks to add stability and details but one of my restrictions is to not BrickLink 😂 I'm sure I could have kept the parts count down a bit if I did, but I have to work with what I've got.

I hope you enjoy it!

CATEGORY 1: THEME

Galen's Row 901 pcs $70-80

UPDATED (notes below)

Galen's Row is the busy street leading up to the city gate in the medieval fantasy world of Egloron. The main sets are designed as dioramas to fit on shelves that can be populated with small builds like kiosks, carts, and entrances. The theme is aimed at AFOLs with not a lot of space for display (like myself).

The street has 4 buildings: two houses, a tavern, and a winery. The set comes with 3 minifigs: a ranger barkeep, an elven warrior, and a faun winemaker. 

Galen's Row - Updated

Galen's Row Tavern and Home - Updated

Galen's Row Winery and Home - Updated

v2 Changes: After a photoshoot, the tavern-side looked a bit too drab and lacked storytelling so I tweaked it a bit. You can see the original in my Galen's Row Flickr album.

Tavern:

- Second floor is tan rather than light bley
- Windows on first and second floor swapped
- Added decorative stuff under the roof
- Added a notice board
- Added a shield

Home:

- Added flowers

Barber-Surgeon Kiosk: 80 pcs $10-15

The medieval barber-surgeon performed all sorts of services including shaving, shampooing, cleaning/pulling teeth, bloodletting, amputating, drilling holes in skulls to cure headaches, and analyzing urine for illnesses. An amazing profession indeed but the four-armed barber-surgeon of Galen's Row can perform several of these services at once. Such a time-saver! Get your piss sniffed and your cuts bandaged at his kiosk just outside the city gates.

Fun fact: The barber pole is a symbol of the medieval barber-surgeon. Those were the used bandages hung outside that twisted in the wind. 

(This build was inspired by xenlc's stands made from the Ninjago arcade part. I love those stands and wanted to make my own for some time. While toying around with how to use the hinge part, I thought of a barber pole and that's how the barber-surgeon kiosk came about.)

Barber-Surgeon-1Barber-Surgeon-2Barber-Surgeon-3

CATEGORY 2: MINIFIGURE LINEUP

An elven warrior, a faun winemaker, a retired ranger barkeep, a fighter, and a barber-surgeon make up the characters on Galen's Row. (I changed up some minifig parts from my theme photos after.)

Galen's Row Minifigures

Edited by Four Bricks Tall
Updated the tavern side

Nice building facades. The background on them with the characters is good. I'll stay away from your four-armed barber surgeon though. He seems a bit of a nutter.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

I'll stay away from your four-armed barber surgeon though. He seems a bit of a nutter.

Aren't all barber-surgeons nuts? 😂 They dug into rotten teeth to kill "the worm" inside!

6 minutes ago, The Reader said:

I love that idea of building a facade. 

Thanks! Me too! I'm just trying to keep my love of LEGO alive without crowding myself out of my own home 😂

1 hour ago, Four Bricks Tall said:

I'm just trying to keep my love of LEGO alive without crowding myself out of my own home 😂

Well said! 😁

This is a fun build. The facade idea is a really strong one. Good for backdrops and a good reminder that not everything needs to be a full build with detailed interior. I really like the figs too. The Yoda torso is perfect for that. 

Fun and intriguing concept, leaning all the way into facades (as opposed to many buildings LEGO have released that are mainly a facade but pretend to have a useable interior).

I also like the restraint with which you have dipped into fantasy, with just a few aspects of the minifigures, and to some extent the smaller set build, which is excellent!

I like the Facade idea also. I think it could use 2 or 3 more brick depth though, would like to see a little more variation in depth.

What torso are the two center ladies?