Sign in to follow this  
_TLG_

[MOC] Depeche Mode - Violator, LP Cover

Hello,

Violator is a legendary studio album by English electronic music band Depeche Mode. It was first released on 19 March 1990 by Mute Records internationally, and by Sire and Reprise Records in the United States. Preceded by the singles "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence", the album propelled the band into international stardom, and also yielded the singles "Policy of Truth" and "World in My Eyes".

This is a studless build based on the original LP cover. Everything is brick-built, stickers are not used. The size is 48 studs x 48 studs x 5 plates high. The rose head and the "Depechemode" assemblies are a bit tricky too, but the most challenging was to design the "violator" assembly. Building instructions are available on the following links:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-122576/_TLG_/depeche-mode-violator-lp-cover

or

https://www.mocsmarket.com/lego-mocs/depeche-mode-violator-lp-cover/

(The 8x16 tiles were ordered directly to this MOC and after I received them, I realized they are matte black. Of course they could be replaced by for example 2x4 tiles which are gloss black as the most of the tiles.)

Thanks for visiting,
_TLG_

52345019068_4404c469a0_c.jpg01 Depeche Mode - Violator, LP - Instructions by László Torma, on Flickr

52345083214_973494c794_c.jpg03 Depeche Mode - Violator, LP - Instructions by László Torma, on Flickr

52345019033_0495b187de_c.jpg02 Depeche Mode - Violator, LP - Instructions by László Torma, on Flickr

Edited by _TLG_
Link added

Very cool! That album artwork is burned into my brain from my 9th grade self, lol. You did a great job on this.

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

Very cool! That album artwork is burned into my brain from my 9th grade self, lol. You did a great job on this.

Thanks a lot! It is one of my all time favorite albums and probably we must be about the same age :)

On 9/9/2022 at 5:37 PM, _TLG_ said:

Thanks a lot! It is one of my all time favorite albums and probably we must be about the same age :)

Probably so! I have a funny story on this one. My daughter and I have always bonded over music. She has great taste and appreciates all genres. I was going through the Depeche Mode catalog to share that band with her some years ago (she’s 16 now) and it seemed like every song was about bondage, lol. So I played the Cure for her instead. 

3 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Probably so! I have a funny story on this one. My daughter and I have always bonded over music. She has great taste and appreciates all genres. I was going through the Depeche Mode catalog to share that band with her some years ago (she’s 16 now) and it seemed like every song was about bondage, lol. So I played the Cure for her instead. 

:) Cure is a great band too :) I have a daughter  and a son, but they areonly 6 and 9.

================================================================================================================================================================================

Wow, glad to be on frontpage, thanks Eurobricks!

Edited by _TLG_

Great work! We have a 17 year old depeche mode superfan in the family and I reckon this could be a good Christmas present.

I'll probably try to bricklink all new parts, is there anything super rare or expensive?

12 hours ago, ukbajadave said:

Great work! We have a 17 year old depeche mode superfan in the family and I reckon this could be a good Christmas present.

I'll probably try to bricklink all new parts, is there anything super rare or expensive?

Thanks a lot! and wow a 17 year old superfan!

I don't think there are super rare parts in the inventory. Maybe the 8x16 plate is a bit unusual, but it was the cheapest solution for the big balck area. However, after I received them, I realized they are matte black instead of gloss black like the smaller tiles. So if these big tiles are replaced by smaller ones for example by 16pcs of 2x4 tiles, then the final result will be more uniform and maybe better, and there are these type of parts lists in the downloadable files on Rebrickable. You can save some money on the hidden parts if you check what type of big plates and which color is the most ecomomical, there is some help in the Rebrickable description and in the instructions.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, ukbajadave said:

At 5 studs deep do you think there is scope to add 67139 wall hanger?

Sorry for the delay. Probably yes, but it should be checked if the technic holes on this part can be connected to studs and if the thickness of this member is equal to the width of a normal brick. However, this hanger should be in the middle, at the rose head, so maybe some hidden reinforcement could be necessary on the back, which can be done easily with normal bricks or plates.

I tried to check it in Stud.io, but it can't find the connection between the holes of the referred part and the studs. I am not sure why, because it finds the connection between a normal technic brick and studs. However, I know many cases whan Stud.io can't find a connection which is possible in the reality. If the hole-stud connection doesn't work I think it is possible to attach this part somehow, or find some other solution to hang MOC. I can help if necessary.

That's super cool, nice work!  It's one of my favorite albums as well, and I have always loved the album art.

You should create one for the Enjoy the Silence single as well.  :D

DepecheModeEnjoyTheSilence.jpg

Edited by GirchyGirchy

@GirchyGirchy Thanks a lot! It is a great album and the single too. Its cover is very similar, but the script fonts would be really challenging :)