Sign in to follow this  
Canticleer blues

90s themes that were region exclusive?

I've read that in the 80s and early 90s, there would often be individual sets that would be released only in certain countries but not in others, usually as promos or parts of value packs. Starting in the mid 90s, there were also supposedly entire themes or subthemes that were exclusive to one region and not available in others- but finding out what was available where is difficult, as documentation on the matter seems to be lacking.

From what I've gathered, a partial list of themes/subthemes/waves that were allegedly regionally exclusive includes:

1. Unitron (1994)
  2. Dark Forest (1996)
  3. RoboForce (1997)
  4. Outback (1997)
  5. Pirates last wave (1997)
  6. Aquaraiders (1997)
  7. Football (1998)
  8. Adventurers Jungle (1999)

What I've read is things like "Unitron was only sold in North America" and "The Outback subtheme was available in Europe and NA, but not Asia/Australia", but no one ever seems to be able to agree on what was sold where.

So to clear things up, does anyone remember which 90s themes were or weren't regionally available, and in what countries they were released in?

9 hours ago, Canticleer blues said:

I've read that in the 80s and early 90s, there would often be individual sets that would be released only in certain countries but not in others, usually as promos or parts of value packs. Starting in the mid 90s, there were also supposedly entire themes or subthemes that were exclusive to one region and not available in others- but finding out what was available where is difficult, as documentation on the matter seems to be lacking.

From what I've gathered, a partial list of themes/subthemes/waves that were allegedly regionally exclusive includes:

1. Unitron (1994)
  2. Dark Forest (1996)
  3. RoboForce (1997)
  4. Outback (1997)
  5. Pirates last wave (1997)
  6. Aquaraiders (1997)
  7. Football (1998)
  8. Adventurers Jungle (1999)

What I've read is things like "Unitron was only sold in North America" and "The Outback subtheme was available in Europe and NA, but not Asia/Australia", but no one ever seems to be able to agree on what was sold where.

So to clear things up, does anyone remember which 90s themes were or weren't regionally available, and in what countries they were released in?

It's certainly tricky to uncover some of these answers! I can at least confirm that all of these aside from the 1998 Football sets were available in North America. However, these themes were not always 100% exclusive to North America. A few sets like 2161 and 2152 were available in Germany as exclusive promotional offers through LEGO World Club magazine. Also, while the Unitron theme was largely absent from European catalogs, set 6991 was an exception, usually appearing alongside that year's Spyrius sets.

I'm not sure if the 1999 Jungle Adventurers sets were actually one of these limited release waves. Some of the sets definitely DO appear in a number of European catalogs and European LEGO.com pages and catalogs from back then (namely 5906, 5936, and 5956), despite others being absent.

However, the 1999 Ninja sets (sets 3050-3053, featuring the red ninja clan and white ninja princess) DO appear to have been regionally limited. They are conspicuously missing from most 1999 and 2000 European catalogs and European versions of LEGO.com that I've seen.

Oddly, a number of 1999 Jungle Adventurers and Ninja sets that I haven't seen in Western European catalogs did in fact appear in some Czech, Polish, and Russian catalogs from back then. Presumably, Eastern and Western Europe were treated as separate market regions at that time. Even today, companies (including LEGO) occasionally group these countries under the umbrella term CEEMEA (Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa).

Edited by Aanchir